Warne calls S.Waugh "Most selfish" cricketer he's played with

Remove this Banner Ad

Doesn’t help your cause if you have been branded selfish and only batted for your average.

You survive run outs by not being the one running to the danger end. Was Steve more inclined to go for a risky run if he was the one not going to the danger end? Eg didn’t care about the other bloke enough. Who cares. Still a dodgy stat.

If someone has a beef with Ponting and called him selfish I’m sure people would use his stat of the guy that ran himself out the most in his defence.

I never saw Waugh running between the wickets as a problem. Like everyone else it was taking the singles given to him when batting with the tail. Almost un Australian. When he got aggressive and hit that four to get his hundred of the last ball all I thought was whoopie ding why didn’t you bat like when you were with the tail.

Good on you for defending him because no one else has.

Justin Langer and Matt Hayden defended the “ selfish cricketer and only batted for his average comment “ by pointing how unselfish Waugh is off the field when he isn’t batting !! That’s like saying Bartlett wasn’t selfish on the football field because he gave to charity.

When I watched Waugh bat with the tail .. I didn’t think selfish I just thought piss weak from an Aussie batsmen.
Most not outs and a great average. Well done champ.
Thing is, turning those singles over keeps the scoreboard ticking over and relieves pressure on the batting team. For all the talk of being selfish, Waugh spent plenty of time working with the tail to improve their batting so they could contribute to those late stands. McGrath improved significantly by the end and basically attributed it all to Steve Waugh.

I remember reading steve waugh and his tailender partners actually averaged a bit more than his brother did with the tail.

The best players with the tail are always going to be the gilly type players who only need the tailender to block a few while they smash a quick 50 but Steve waugh wasn't going to do that no matter how he approached things he simply didn't have that level of talent.

Wearing baggy caps for the Wimbledon final was pretty cringeworthy.
I honestly didn't know/remember this.

warnewimbledonenv.jpg

Lol.

When worn with the white shirt, it makes it look like Steve thinks he is about to take the field at Wimbledon.

Like a nerdy kid who wears his full kit to watch his heroes at the MCG or the Gabba.

Mind you, Shane looks like he is about to go for a round of golf.

And Glenn seems to think that the action is happening somewhere in the stands.

By the way, is that Simone on the right?

Just an all-round lolworthy photo.

When worn with the white shirt, it makes it look like Steve thinks he is about to take the field at Wimbledon.

Like a nerdy kid who wears his full kit to watch his heroes at the MCG or the Gabba.

I watched that final and don't remember anything about them doing it.

First heard about it a year ago when Damien Fleming was laughing at it.

Then a few months ago Gilly brought it up in a interview and had regretted doing it.

I remember reading steve waugh and his tailender partners actually averaged a bit more than his brother did with the tail.

The best players with the tail are always going to be the gilly type players who only need the tailender to block a few while they smash a quick 50 but Steve waugh wasn't going to do that no matter how he approached things he simply didn't have that level of talent.

Steve is about one percent better than his brother with tail. Stats can spit out some surprises.

Of all the batsmen that made over 500 runs in the 4th innings of test matches. Steve Waugh has the worst of average of 25. Granted he didn’t have to bat much in a 4th innings .. 31 times. You’d think coming in late on dodgy wickets would have a bit to do with it.
Not too many would get that right in a cricket trivia quiz.

The man you want batting in a 4th innings chase for a win is Graeme Smith He scored four centuries, and more than 1000 runs, in successful fourth-innings chases

Usman Khawaja goes alright in 4th innings.

Last edited:
Steve is about one percent better than his brother with tail. Stats can spit out some surprises.

Of all the batsmen that made over 500 runs in the 4th innings of test matches. Steve Waugh has the worst of average of 25. Granted he didn’t have to bat much in a 4th innings .. 31 times. You’d think coming in late on dodgy wickets would have a bit to do with it.
Not too many would get that right in a cricket trivia quiz.

The man you want batting in a 4th innings chase for a win is Graeme Smith He scored four centuries, and more than 1000 runs, in successful fourth-innings chases

Usman Khawaja goes alright in 4th innings.

Graeme Smith hasn't lost a match scoring a ton. So just get him to score a ton, and it's all good.

Cricket has a particular way of taking someone's foibles and magnifying them.

Talking about selfishness is always a bit silly, because everyone's inherently selfish. The question is to what degree someone tries to overcome it, or embraces it instead - both of which can be done in a multitude of ways.

In this particular instance Steve Waugh was selfish by:

Hurting Warnie's feelings by bruising his ego.....A big No, No in Warne's world & a most selfish thing to do indeed.

Tim May better than Allan Donald?

Good god.
Forgive the self quote, but I have to raise this because it still looks every bit as ridiculous now as it did then.

Warne rated Tim May as a better cricketer than Allan Donald. Tim ******* May, and Allan ******* Donald.

I have tears of laughter in my eyes just thinking about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly didn't know/remember this.

warnewimbledonenv.jpg

Lol.

What did you think of this Gough :D

Thing is waugh used to admit he was a bit of a nerd, he never tried to be the cool kid and I'm sure now in his 50's he is comfortable in his own skin, Warne makes fun of him because he is a bloke who clearly wants to seen as cool and he clearly isn't comfortable in his own skin.

If Waugh was the same type of man no doubt he would make fun of Warne and his use of botox.

Oh and does Warne think his mate McGrath is a fool for wearing the baggy green? Or just a sheep who was afraid of saying no to waugh?

Thing is waugh used to admit he was a bit of a nerd, he never tried to be the cool kid and I'm sure now in his 50's he is comfortable in his own skin, Warne makes fun of him because he is a bloke who clearly wants to seen as cool and he clearly isn't comfortable in his own skin.

If Waugh was the same type of man no doubt he would make fun of Warne and his use of botox.

Oh and does Warne think his mate McGrath is a fool for wearing the baggy green? Or just a sheep who was afraid of saying no to waugh?
Warne is vein. Just look at his hair. Waugh was apart of the nerds and he and Tim May didn’t hide from it. Warne probably has to beg to get into the Julio’s group

Wearing baggy caps for the Wimbledon final was pretty cringeworthy.

Even Gilchrist is embarrassed by it now.
I think pretty much all of them were embarrassed about it, when they covered it in the ashes documentary last year

Waugh had an unbelievably strong survival instinct. It's one of the reasons he was so good and also one of the reasons he was the surviving partner of so many run outs.

It's not a negative. He had a will to keep batting that few others possessed.

Warnie is the cricket equivalent of Wayne Carey - scary good at the sport but a terrible human being. His book and claims have the hallmarks of a bully that is covering for his own ego. Pretty sure if he couldn't bowl - he would be that abusive drunk bloke that lives on a bar stool at the local.
They also were also both insightful commentators when they first retired but as the game has moved on they haven't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back