Sep 20, 2003
paradise
Other Teams
the best
Warne turns tables on Smith
Jon Pierik
Exclusive
02jan06

SHANE Warne says the Test series has backfired on South African captain Graeme Smith, who has failed in his efforts to intimidate Australia off the field while forgetting how to win matches on it.
"I am not sure but I think the way the South Africans play, I don't think the players are 100 per cent behind him so far because I don't think they like his tactics," Warne said yesterday.
In a stinging response to Smith's comment that Warne was a frustrated captain, Warne said Smith would be best served worrying about his "own backyard".

"South Africans are disciplined and are generally very, very good in the field and they are hard work to try and beat," he said.

"They would rather go about their business and play, and play the best they can."

The Proteas head into today's third and final Test at the SCG needing to win to save the series.

"I really believe Smith has put too much pressure on his players and the series has backfired on him," Warne said.

"I don't believe his players are behind him."

Warne said Smith, 24, and the Proteas had unsuccessfully tried to unsettle the Australians through the summer with explosive comments.

Smith said in the lead-up to the second Test that Warne was smothering Ponting's captaincy, while the tourists complained during the Test that the Australians pressured the umpires with their excessive appealing.

"Graeme Smith is such a young player, especially at this level, I think he would be better off just trying to play rather than trying to be an intimidator," Warne said.

"As a batsman, he hasn't contributed once to the cause, and let's include the ICC World XI match there, both as a captain and batsman.

"All he has done as a captain is have far too much to say.

"And he hasn't backed it up.

"That's really hurting him because he came in and said, 'We won't be bullied'.

"All these other issues have been to try and deflect how they played.

Smith has managed only 111 runs at 27.75 without a half-century in the series, while his overall average against the Australians is 23.70, compared with his career mark of 52.41.

Warne said the difference between Ricky Ponting, who will today become the ninth Australian to play 100 Tests, and the slumping Smith couldn't be greater.

"Ricky has mine and the 100 per cent support of all his players, I am not sure Graeme Smith can say the same," Warne said.

"He is better off worrying about his own backyard and trying to get that into order.

"He's had a bit of a personal attack on me, he has tried to say I am a wannabe captain, I am not a wannabe captain.

"He is losing badly. I think at the moment there is no way out for him.

"If he just zips it and tries to get on with playing, he just looks as if he is backing down and he won't do that.

"If you keep saying so much stuff, you are going to look worse."

Warne said Smith was an uninspiring captain who didn't know how to plan for and treat his spinners.

"Someone like Nicky Boje was a very good attacking spin bowler at the start of his career," Warne said.

"I think because of Graeme Smith's unimaginative and uninspiring captaincy, he just thinks he'll try and stop the scoring.

"It lacks imagination and that's why we have been able to declare in both games.

"He doesn't have any imagination as captain.

"The way he sets his field is very predictable.

"It will be interesting to see if South Africa plays two spinners because the conditions in Sydney do suit two spinners.

"But I am sure South Africa will only go with one spinner because Graeme Smith wouldn't know what fields to set.

"I am sure he is regretting how his tactics have been in this series."

If Warne said that then he has given Smith both barrells hasn't he?, at least Warne can walk the walk, it will be interesting to see what Smith says now, or does, regarding making runs.

Hahaha when will he shut his mouth?

And people say Smith talks alot :rolleyes:

Interesting that the South African journo on Inside Cricket basically said that Smith has been talking it up because he was told by previous tourists that you can be beaten before you enter the field because of the way the Aussies build pressure in the press, Warne naming bunnies etc. Teams such as the Windies tend to quite meekly accept their impending fate. Had some catches not been grassed the pressure may have built on us. But then again that's another if. You have to say though that Smith could have taken the pressure off himself by not batting today, the South African journo said that he's quite prepared to take the heat so that his more introverted teammates can focus on their own game.

Funny to listen to Clinton Grybas tonight re. those comments, he said he took a highlighter out to underline the key points and he had to just keep going and going and going.:D

taking your chances & catches is a huge thing and its why australia is better than south africa and why we have this series in the bag. south africa wont be able to win the test with the rain interuptions and there slow run rate and inability to finish off the Aussies.

Smith shot off at the mouth for various good reasons but went too far and, sure enough, the Australians were a very focused side in the second test.

Trust Warne to be stupid enough to return the favour.

Warne's a great bowler, blah blah blah. And he's very lucky that he's played alongside a bunch of world-class batsmen who have been good enough to consistently hit scores big enough for him to bowl to. If those batsmen (Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist, Waugh etc.) hadn't been there, Warne would still have been a great bowler, but not such a successful cricketer. If he thinks his talk has been a qualitative contributor over the years, he's a moron. A country's captain has to be a diplomat at least in part and that's the reason Warne didn't get the job. Smith (24) was a fool to go so far, but he'll learn, and he did say when questioned before the second test: "That was just banter; now we play cricket." Warne (36) is a chump.

It's all fun and games, and when you look at Smiths series it's been poor.
And what the Aussies have said has probably had some bearing on it.

Smith vs the Aussies stems right back to Smiths first test, i remember Hayden talking about it on "the fat" tv show.

starz said:
It's all fun and games, and when you look at Smiths series it's been poor.
And what the Aussies have said has probably had some bearing on it.

Smith vs the Aussies stems right back to Smiths first test, i remember Hayden talking about it on "the fat" tv show.

It's clearly Warne's job to have a crack so that Ponting can come off looking diplomatic and in control.

Don't for a second think that Warne's comments were not pre-meditated.

The Aussies love a good mind-game.

Theres been nothing wrong with what Smith has been saying and SA has played pretty well in the 3 test matches. Aus have been mouthing off for years and its about time someone comes out and says what they think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing with Smith is that he mouths off all the time, but can never back up his words which makes him look an idiot time and time again. The same certainly cannot be said about Warne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back