Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Okay, I will add Chris Davies to the list. So far I have David Koch, Ken Hinkley, Matthew Richardson, Cos Cardone, Holly Ransom, Chris Davies and I am including Jed McEntee. :)
Harsh on Jed

He did go to Mercedes, so not surprised whatsoever.

I send my girls to a pretty good private girls school, for a multitude of reasons.
Papa G yep Wildy.

Nothing wrong with sending your kids to a private school. My point is he’s the leader of this State. He’s basically saying the public school system isn’t good enough for his children but everyone else’s kids go for it.

Unfortunately, the public school system sucks sad. Under staffed, under resourced and unless the child is gifted it’s going to be harder for them to succeed.

Papa G yep Wildy.

Nothing wrong with sending your kids to a private school. My point is he’s the leader of this State. He’s basically saying the public school system isn’t good enough for his children but everyone else’s kids go for it.

Unfortunately, the public school system sucks sad. Under staffed, under resourced and unless the child is gifted it’s going to be harder for them to succeed.
Mate I've paid for that ******* school for 7 ******* years. Never wanted her to go there based on on the moles I knew from there in my youth but proximity made it the easiest. It's a good school I admit, but I never got into the Wildy parents association cause I just couldn't be ****ed. Never been to one single social event. Only 2 more payments and I'm done!

Mate I've paid for that ******* school for 7 ******* years. Never wanted her to go there based on on the moles I knew from there in my youth but proximity made it the easiest. It's a good school I admit, but I never got into the Wildy parents association cause I just couldn't be ****ed. Never been to one single social event. Only 2 more payments and I'm done!
Half your luck, I’ve only got 13 more years lol.

My kids been going since Mammies and the school is fantastic.

Each to their own with the parent stuff, I’m friendly without being overly committed to the social aspect. Everyone’s different. The parents I’ve met have been nice.

I went to public school the whole way, I worked my ass off to get where I am. As some people here say, I’m a small time suburban accountant. Mingling with many business people, I can see how private school connections open doors a lot easier.

Is it fair no! Is it reality, unfortunately yes. 35 years on the public school
System is garbage.

Half your luck, I’ve only got 13 more years lol.

My kids been going since Mammies and the school is fantastic.

Each to their own with the parent stuff, I’m friendly without being overly committed to the social aspect. Everyone’s different. The parents I’ve met have been nice.

I went to public school the whole way, I worked my ass off to get where I am. As some people here say, I’m a small time suburban accountant. Mingling with many business people, I can see how private school connections open doors a lot easier.

Is it fair no! Is it reality, unfortunately yes. 35 years on the public school
System is garbage.
Yeah it's good networking I admit. I know I sound like a w@nka here but I went to an equivalent school in the 80s. My lad goes there. I have more connection to that. I already know the scene.
It has changed since then. Not so whitebread. Played in the Hellenic Golf Day at Royal Adelaide yesterday. Something that wouldn't have been tolerated last century.

Papa G yep Wildy.

lol wtf

Would you also be mad if Peter Malinauskas took out private health insurance?

Papa G yep Wildy.

Yep I agree and hence why I choose to pay for a better education. I work in the university sector and see the results first hand and it ain’t pretty!

I realise I'm giving extra ammo to the boomer haters on here ;) as lot of water has obviously flowed under the bridge since I went to school but it's disappointing to hear how far the public education system in this state has apparently fallen, as back in the dim darks when I joined the navy an SA high school education was rated better than the equivalent of either Victoria, NSW or QLD.

The two most sought after roles for a recruit coming through the ordinary seaman/able seaman system were electrical mechanic or radar plotter as both created opportunities in civilian life, eg at that time I can recall being told by an officer that R.A.N. trained radar plotters were so highly rated they could get a job at any airport in the world.
After the testing system was completed most chosen to train for either of those two roles were South Aussies, not bad when there were only 40 or so of us of in an intake of 300, and I believe previous years had similar results.

Re the private school system there is absolutely no doubt it opens doors, but like any system some dills will slip through.

As an example about 25 years ago I inherited a bloke who had done all of his schooling at one of the most prestigious colleges in Adelaide, and had somehow qualified as a lawyer.
He was a nice enough bloke but you wouldn't have wanted him representing you for an overdue parking fine, he didn't survive in that profession, ended up as an order picker in a warehouse and needed family connections to get him that job.

I realise I'm giving extra ammo to the boomer haters on here ;) as lot of water has obviously flowed under the bridge since I went to school but it's disappointing to hear how far the public education system in this state has apparently fallen, as back in the dim darks when I joined the navy an SA high school education was rated better than the equivalent of either Victoria, NSW or QLD.

The two most sought after roles for a recruit coming through the ordinary seaman/able seaman system were electrical mechanic or radar plotter as both created opportunities in civilian life, eg at that time I can recall being told by an officer that R.A.N. trained radar plotters were so highly rated they could get a job at any airport in the world.
After the testing system was completed most chosen to train for either of those two roles were South Aussies, not bad when there were only 40 or so of us of in an intake of 300, and I believe previous years had similar results.

Re the private school system there is absolutely no doubt it opens doors, but like any system some dills will slip through.

As an example about 25 years ago I inherited a bloke who had done all of his schooling at one of the most prestigious colleges in Adelaide, and had somehow qualified as a lawyer.
He was a nice enough bloke but you wouldn't have wanted him representing you for an overdue parking fine, he didn't survive in that profession, ended up as an order picker in a warehouse and needed family connections to get him that job.
The erasure of Technical Schools in the 90s was a massive mistake.

I can't believe that a politician wants what is best for his kids.

I'm sure none of Warren Tredrea's or David Koch's kids went to a private school.

I'm a bit confused by the talk of how garbage the public school system is. My daughter just finished 12 years in the public system and it would have been close to impossible to achieve better academic outcomes if we'd sent her to the 'best' private school in the state.
She has missed the opportunity to network with Poo and Popo's offspring though, so maybe she is set for a life of immiseration

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a bit confused by the talk of how garbage the public school system is. My daughter just finished 12 years in the public system and it would have been close to impossible to achieve better academic outcomes if we'd sent her to the 'best' private school in the state.
She has missed the opportunity to network with Poo and Popo's offspring though, so maybe she is set for a life of immiseration
Norwood, Glenunga, both Adelaide Campuses, Brighton, Marryatville, Mitcham Girls, Unley all have pretty good reputations. People actively try to get into those school zones.

Norwood, Glenunga, both Adelaide Campuses, Brighton, Marryatville, Mitcham Girls, Unley all have pretty good reputations. People actively try to get into those school zones.
Our local school doesn't have a great reputation, which is a pity because the quality of teaching is fantastic. It's the socio-economic mix of local families that mostly impacts school reputations. Affluent suburbs have schools with good reputations - doesn't mean that what they are doing is any better than another school on the other side of town.
I don't judge anyone on where they choose to send their kids to school but the ignorant shitcanning of an entire system that's gone on in this thread is pretty gross

Using one person as a sample set is probably not undisputed proof, and to be honest a lot of your daughters results can probably be attributed to her and the upbringing you gave her.

A quick google gave me the following:

I went to a private primary and public secondary school so Im not completely pro one over the other. Although knowing that the public high school I went to had a great reputation when I went there, but a reputation thats down the shitter now has shown me that employing the right leaders in schools is critical

Last edited:
Using one person as a sample set is probably not undisputed proof, and to be honest a lot of your daughters results can probably be attributed to her and the upbringing you gave her.

A quick google gave me the following:

I went to a private primary and public secondary school so Im not completely pro one over the other. Although knowing that the public high school I went to had a great reputation when I went there, but a reputation thats down the shitter now has shown me that employing the right leaders in schools is critical
My children's results do reflect our family valuing education (and the intelligence they inherited from their mother). But that's my point. Smart kids who value education do well whether they go to the local school, or the most expensive private school available.

Academically selective schools averaging higher academic results shouldn't be a surprise to anybody. And the most reliable predicter of academic success is still the socio economic status of the community. Good public schools work hard to bridge the gap.
Agree that quality leadership is critical, but that applies to any school, not just public

Yep
The postcode is more important than the school
Private schools in shitty areas are still shitty

As a private school boy that didn't really need it education wise (went into a trade then from there sales)
The connections have been helpful but probably not worth it from an ROI point of view

Are they at Wildy? Weatherill did the same thing. These Left Wing Warriors really practice what they preach.
The right - let’s * up and underfund public education so it is barely holding on.

The left - let’s not.

Also the right - look at those lefties not sending their kids to the mess we’ve made, bloody hypocrites.

The right - let’s * up and underfund public education so it is barely holding on.

The left - let’s not.

Also the right - look at those lefties not sending their kids to the mess we’ve made, bloody hypocrites.
Yes you get it Chiwigi. You have denied your Thatcherite tendencies for way too long.

From personal experience it's a combination of
  • Child's individual intelligence
  • Parents' input/focus on child's education
  • Child's "driven-ness" (for want of a better word)
  • Quality of school
  • Child's close peers
  • Other socioeconomic factors that influence opportunity
Have personally seen many private schoolers become complete useless knobheads and many public schoolers become highly successful, and vice versa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back