Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep and what worse all these so called past greats are absolutely weak staying silent

Hodges Wanganeen Fiacchi Ginever

While Warren Tredrea puts himself out calling out mediocrity

Our past greats should know better
Not sure why you've included Fiacchi in that list.

Fiacchi was definitely outspoken on the board and a thorn in Koch's side. That's why Koch got Wanganeen to run against Fiacchi.

Fiacchi was definitely outspoken on the board and a thorn in Koch's side. That's why Koch got Wanganeen to run against Fiacchi.
Fiacchi pretty much said nothing publicly, so much that got zero traction, Warren only one with guts to call out Hinkley and Koch

Fiacchi pretty much said nothing publicly, so much that got zero traction, Warren only one with guts to call out Hinkley and Koch
Fiacchi was clearly rocking the boat at board meetings hence why Koch needed him gone. What is said publicly is irrelevant.

I get the sense the club does a good job of keeping a lot of the more prominent ex players pretty close so they're in a tough position re speaking out. Some of these ex players support Warren privately but won't publicly back him.

The club has made a big mistake in ostracising Warren. They should've kept him close as well and given him Darren Cahill's spot on the board when they had the chance. Koch's misunderstanding of Warren's place as 'just another ex player' will be his downfall here. He doesn't understand the rank and file supporter enough to know that the esteem Warren is held in is close to unmatched among living ex players. Equating him to Cassisi was absolutely embarrassing. The upshot will be Warren bludgeoning his way onto the board with an axe to grind. Very poor management.

I get the sense the club does a good job of keeping a lot of the more prominent ex players pretty close so they're in a tough position re speaking out. Some of these ex players support Warren privately but won't publicly back him.

The club has made a big mistake in ostracising Warren. They should've kept him close as well and given him Darren Cahill's spot on the board when they had the chance. Koch's misunderstanding of Warren's place as 'just another ex player' will be his downfall here. He doesn't understand the rank and file supporter enough to know that the esteem Warren is held in is close to unmatched among living ex players. Equating him to Cassisi was absolutely embarrassing. The upshot will be Warren bludgeoning his way onto the board with an axe to grind. Very poor management.
If we want to put the situation in lowest common denominator terms

Tredrea = Port Adelaide values & family = winner
Koch & Hinkley = whatever this bin fire is = losers

Yep, not only that but something almost as important as having Warren on the board is the fact that it'll come as a clear protest vote against the Koch regime. Koch big-dogged Tredders and attempted to publicly humiliate him when Tredders showed an interest in joining the board, and it created a clear divide. If Tredders then gets in with a clear majority, that's about as clear a vote of no-confidence in Koch and the existing board as you could get.

I think it's more about the deafening silence from club greats when Warren took his stand this year. Some support could have really made a difference instead of the silence allowing Koch to paint Tredders as incapable and unqualified with frivolous complaints.

I think it's more about the deafening silence from club greats when Warren took his stand this year. Some support could have really made a difference instead of the silence allowing Koch to paint Tredders as incapable and unqualified with frivolous complaints.
Maybe George realised that anyone questioning Daddy Donuts would be painted as a "hater" by the club's media machine and decided to stay silent. He's obviously clashed with Koch before resulting in his removal from the board.

Any ex-player that has witnessed the attack on any dissenting voice would surely think twice about publicly expressing a negative opinion about the great Kenny Hinkley.

Maybe George realised that anyone questioning Daddy Donuts would be painted as a "hater" by the club's media machine and decided to stay silent. He's obviously clashed with Koch before resulting in his removal from the board.

Any ex-player that has witnessed the attack on any dissenting voice would surely think twice about publicly expressing a negative opinion about the great Kenny Hinkley.

It's ultimately cowardice, however you want to spin it, and lots of people who could have spoken out and absolutely agree with Tredders should feel uncomfortable about their lack of willingness to do the right thing.

Yep, not only that but something almost as important as having Warren on the board is the fact that it'll come as a clear protest vote against the Koch regime. Koch big-dogged Tredders and attempted to publicly humiliate him when Tredders showed an interest in joining the board, and it created a clear divide. If Tredders then gets in with a clear majority, that's about as clear a vote of no-confidence in Koch and the existing board as you could get.

They will justify it on the basis of being an ex player popularity vote, which will be partially true.

It's astonishing the lengths they go to in order to protect their little boys club. What exactly is the problem with having someone on the board who challenges their ideas on how things should be done? It's not like Warren can change anything unilaterally. It's also not like Warren is some keyboard warrior from BigFooty - he is literally THE most prominent figure in the club's entire AFL history. He has credibility, whether they like it or not.

When you see names like David Koch, Matthew Richardson, Chris Davies, Ken Hinkley, Chad Cornes, etc, who are part of this boys club that can't stand the thought of Warren holding them to account, you just shake your head. All of these guys have achieved nothing in long periods as administrators or coaches. They are self interested individuals who see it as being more important that they hold onto their positions than that the club is successful. We saw that very clearly last year when our entire season was framed around winning Hinkley a contract extension and once that was done we phoned it in for the rest of the season and everyone just shrugged their shoulders.

Winning needs to be put firmly back on the agenda as the number one priority. All of this stability and connection bullshit needs to end. All I see when I read those words is comfort zone. You're not achieving anything great in the comfort zone. But they don't care about achieving anything great, they're perfectly content with where they're at. And that's the whole problem.

When you see names like David Koch, Matthew Richardson, Chris Davies, Ken Hinkley, Chad Cornes, etc, who are part of this boys club that can't stand the thought of Warren holding them to account, you just shake your head. All of these guys have achieved nothing in long periods as administrators or coaches. They are self interested individuals who see it as being more important that they hold onto their positions than that the club is successful. We saw that very clearly last year when our entire season was framed around winning Hinkley a contract extension and once that was done we phoned it in for the rest of the season and everyone just shrugged their shoulders.
I don't like Chad Cornes for a number of reasons, but I'm not sure he belongs on this list. I'd never think of Chad as not being somebody who values winning.

The top priorities for the directors of most bodies incorporated under the Corporations Act tend to be similar across organisations, e.g.:

• legal compliance and reporting
  • financial performance (particularly remaining solvent)
  • corporate social responsibility (carbon neutral fits in here)
  • diversity and inclusion
  • cybersecurity

After those the focus will then be on risk, executive remuneration, internal audit, strategy, and operations (the playing football bit).

On their balanced scorecard, football performance is probably 1 or 2 out of a dozen or so KPIs and probably focuses on winning percentage and rate of making finals.

This is why there is a complete disconnect between the views of board members and supporters on how the club is travelling. As supporters we have the luxury of being able to cut through the corporate governance bullshit and focus on the one thing that really matters - winning premierships.

Hopefully if Tredrea is elected he doesn't get swallowed up by the corporate crap and can demand accountability from the football department on their performance.
Well he can certainly be on the carbon neutral committee then 😎😃

And the external audit process committee too ............. oh wait! 😒🤨

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many years ago, before Cassisi became captain, my wife and I were walking through Henley Square and Cassisi insulted my wife. If he hadn't been backed up by Matty Primus and a number of other senior players I would have punched his lights out. Disgusting human being.

I emailed the club about the incident and received a phone call from Hitaf Rasheed who apologised.

And many decades later he has still stayed true to that character.

They will justify it on the basis of being an ex player popularity vote, which will be partially true.

It's astonishing the lengths they go to in order to protect their little boys club. What exactly is the problem with having someone on the board who challenges their ideas on how things should be done? It's not like Warren can change anything unilaterally. It's also not like Warren is some keyboard warrior from BigFooty - he is literally THE most prominent figure in the club's entire AFL history. He has credibility, whether they like it or not.

Winning needs to be put firmly back on the agenda as the number one priority. All of this stability and connection bullshit needs to end. All I see when I read those words is comfort zone. You're not achieving anything great in the comfort zone. But they don't care about achieving anything great, they're perfectly content with where they're at. And that's the whole problem.

There are multiple mis-steps that Koch has made since September of 2022 when Warren first approached Koch to be Cahill's successor on the Board. He has mis-calculated the popularity Warren has as a Club great relative to other past greats of the Club, and mis-calculated the sentiment against the current administration and football department.

Warren essentially gave Koch the equivalent of an underhanded lollipop to be hit for 6 some 16 months ago. At the time, the Club had missed finals, the fans wanted Ken gone more than ever, and resentment with the Board and footy department was well in effect. Koch then goes on TV in a C7 exclusive assuring Ken's future for 2023, and the white noise got even louder as it showed just how far out of touch this man is from reality and relativity.

At that point, someone, ANYONE at the Club should have come forward to Koch and made it clear to him just how much he had stuffed up. Whether they did or not is anyone's guess. But he had an easy fix. Re-connect with the supporter base, get Warren into the fold. Koch comes out looking like a king because he's bringing the Club's greatest AFL player back into the nest whilst the fans are somewhat placated because they would feel as though the Club might just be listening to their concerns.

Instead, Koch has gone the complete 180 and done everything possible to try to keep Warren (and by extension of that, a voice of the white noise) off the Board and out of the Club all together.

They could have had a very harmonious situation 16 months ago. Now if Warren gets in there you've got a completely tense situation that will no doubt see any feuds take place both in public just as much as in private at the Board meeting table. That is the exact type of governance that Koch claims he wants to avoid and yet he is bringing this about the Club all because he couldn't see the forest from the trees.

Mind you, Koch is far from the only person who will be held accountable should Warren get on the Board. The entire Club is shitting themselves about this possibility - which makes you wonder exactly how lackadaisical and nonchalant they have been when they're supposedly "Chasing Greatness."

Warren joining the board is the only ray of sunshine I foresee with this club leading into 2024. I have been disengaged for years. The club is unrecognisable. Unfortunately our wider supporter base are far more gullible than Crows supporters and just don't see the deep putrid culture we have become accustomed under this regime. I am embarrassed listening to many of these supporters. So weak...

Warren is important to begin this new journey. I personally let him know this!

Warren joining the board is the only ray of sunshine I foresee with this club leading into 2024. I have been disengaged for years. The club is unrecognisable. Unfortunately our wider supporter base are far more gullible than Crows supporters and just don't see the deep putrid culture we have become accustomed under this regime. I am embarrassed listening to many of these supporters. So weak...

Warren is important to begin this new journey. I personally let him know this!
on a broader note, Australia use to be a society who could see through the spin and wouldnt tolerate someone trying to sell them short. Now its the norm, society has been dumbed down on so many levels that the footy club you now see is just a reflection of that problem. The irony is these same people claim to be advanced in intellect because they read it in a book or someone told them on the giggle box.

Koch going full smarm on his 5AA spot and claiming Tredrea was only. speaking out as “he has a podcast to promote” was a disgrace, and yet another example that he’s just a myopic spiv with no real understanding of the club and its people.

Whether they agreed with Warren or not, that was the time for past players to stand up and tell Koch to pull his head in at a bare minimum.

If the Chairman’s prepared to go on record casually dismissing the opinions and views of arguably the greatest footballer to ever walk through the doors at Alberton, what on earth does he think of us?

Koch going full smarm on his 5AA spot and claiming Tredrea was only. speaking out as “he has a podcast to promote” was a disgrace, and yet another example that he’s just a myopic spiv with no real understanding of the club and its people.

Whether they agreed with Warren or not, that was the time for past players to stand up and tell Koch to pull his head in at a bare minimum.

If the Chairman’s prepared to go on record casually dismissing the opinions and views of arguably the greatest footballer to ever walk through the doors at Alberton, what on earth does he think of us?

He doesn't think of us, and therein lies the issue.

Information regarding voting eligibility, date and how its run.

Who is eligible to vote?

To be eligible to vote, you must have been a financial Port Adelaide Football Club member in 2023, or a new 2024 Member who joined the club prior to the 31st of October 2023, and be over the age of 18.

This is the 2023 Annual General Meeting and Director election. Members who join after the 31st of October 2023 are not entitled to vote in this election.

Members who have not supplied their date of birth will also be excluded as the age cannot be verified. To update your details, please contact Member Services on (08) 8447 9900 or email membership@pafc.com.au.

Port Adelaide members who joined the club after the 31st of October 2023 will be eligible to vote in the 2024 member election.

These conditions are in accordance with the Election Rules of the club and have not changed since the voting process was introduced upon entry to the AFL.

Who is eligible to vote?

To be eligible to vote, you must have been a financial Port Adelaide Football Club member in 2023, or a new 2024 Member who joined the club prior to the 31st of October 2023, and be over the age of 18.

This is the 2023 Annual General Meeting and Director election. Members who join after the 31st of October 2023 are not entitled to vote in this election.

Members who have not supplied their date of birth will also be excluded as the age cannot be verified. To update your details, please contact Member Services on (08) 8447 9900 or email membership@pafc.com.au.

Port Adelaide members who joined the club after the 31st of October 2023 will be eligible to vote in the 2024 member election.

These conditions are in accordance with the Election Rules of the club and have not changed since the voting process was introduced upon entry to the AFL.
I admittedly don’t pay too much attention to elections. Is this the norm? Or are they just pulling stuff out of a hat to prevent Treadrea being elected?

I admittedly don’t pay too much attention to elections. Is this the norm? Or are they just pulling stuff out of a hat to prevent Treadrea being elected?

Is this the first time the AGM has been held in the year following its actual year (like that B&F a couple of years ago)? Anyway, this only affects me this time because I wasn't a financial member in 2023. And won't be in 2024 unless Hinkley gets sacked during the year.

George was outspoken on the Board, take our word for it, as has been posted that is why he was replaced with Wanganeen. Koch maybe trying the same trick with Bruce Abernethy.

As for George not going public Tredrea has a much higher media profile than Fiacchi so what he says will carry more weight in the media.

I would like to see both Tredders and George on the Board.

On related issue I have not heard any news re Tredder's case against NINE. Last I heard was in August last year when the litigants were awaiting a decision. It would be nice if this was finalised before the Board election. Does anyone have any up to date news?

NOTE: In keeping with the spirit of this thread I am not asking for opinion on the rights or wrongs of Tredder's case simply some info regarding a decision, out of court or otherwise.

Last edited:
on a broader note, Australia use to be a society who could see through the spin and wouldnt tolerate someone trying to sell them short. Now its the norm, society has been dumbed down on so many levels that the footy club you now see is just a reflection of that problem. The irony is these same people claim to be advanced in intellect because they read it in a book or someone told them on the giggle box.

hence the rise of the 'influencer.' These people attempt to influence the masses through polluting social media with opinion rather than fact. If they cannot find credible evidence to support their views they simply make it up. I reckon a lot of that has spilled over into the sporting world.

Who is eligible to vote?

Proof they read Figbooty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back