Resource Watching games overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

BigBadCam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2006
Glenroy, Vic
AFL Club
Geelong
I am heading overseas for a couple of months and I'm thinking it will be very difficult to watch any games. The streaming sites (justinTV, etc.) have been shutdown as well as Aussietorrents. Demonoid offers absolutely nothing. It really is quite pathetic by the AFL that it is this hard to watch games outside of the country.

I know this site wants to distance itself from any 'illegal' activity, but if anyone has any ideas save from paying for an extremely expensive satellite TV setup, please let me know... :)

I am heading overseas for a couple of months and I'm thinking it will be very difficult to watch any games. The streaming sites (justinTV, etc.) have been shutdown as well as Aussietorrents. Demonoid offers absolutely nothing. It really is quite pathetic by the AFL that it is this hard to watch games outside of the country.

I know this site wants to distance itself from any 'illegal' activity, but if anyone has any ideas save from paying for an extremely expensive satellite TV setup, please let me know... :)

OK Cam...here's the info. You can watch games live on Omnisport, but you have to pay a fee per match. In saying that, the quality is good and reliable.

for replays, you can go to "Aussie TV Sports"...they charge an annual fee. They have some deal going with bigpond. As you can imagine, its not great, but not bad. Not ALL games are available, but you usually get highlights from every game, and usually ( not always ) the press conferences. If they are not showing Geelong's press conference for some reason ( eg like last week!!) you can get the audio off Sportal.com.au ....no problems there.

I use both these resources and they are adequate, but thats all. Omnisport is I think $5 a game live and direct and is good quality. You can find them on the Aussie TV Sports website.....just go to Google and type in "Aussie TV Sports" and its on the top of the list.

If you need more info, let me know. Even better, if you find out about other sites, I'd be grateful to hear of them.

Hope thats been of help. :)

Thanks so much for your help guys. I appreciate it. I have been investigating a bit myself, and it seems that the Australian TV network is the go. It is the official provider of the AFL into the Asia Pacifc region. I will be visiting a friend in Japan and I have talked her into getting satellite. She has to buy a box and I'm not sure how much that is, then it will be about $30 to register, and $12 or so per month to get the channel. It'll be 4 games a week, but I'm not sure if they're delayed or not, as well as the best bits of Australian TV. Skyperfect is the satellite provider who you can get it through in Japan.

Thanks so much for your help guys. I appreciate it. I have been investigating a bit myself, and it seems that the Australian TV network is the go. It is the official provider of the AFL into the Asia Pacifc region. I will be visiting a friend in Japan and I have talked her into getting satellite. She has to buy a box and I'm not sure how much that is, then it will be about $30 to register, and $12 or so per month to get the channel. It'll be 4 games a week, but I'm not sure if they're delayed or not, as well as the best bits of Australian TV. Skyperfect is the satellite provider who you can get it through in Japan.

The Australia Network is great mate, well it's actually s**t but the fact that it shows the footy well and truly makes up for the nonsense that it shows.. It was my savior in Thailand last year.

You're right, it'll be 4 games a week, they're shown live. Last year I could watch them and also go on JTV to watch the rest but like the NBA the AFL have now gone all greedy and now that I'm in England I cant bloody watch a single game!

I'm sure they have IT staff now that troll the internet for anyone uploading the game from their home, so if anyone does wish to post any useful info to myself and BigBadCam, which would be much appreciated, please do so through a private message.

Good luck with it mate i'm struggling over here without footy!

I just got back from Bali last week, and there were heaps of bars showing live or nearly live AFL. The Bali Rock pub in Legian was showing most of the games, and there's another few in Kuta that have signs out the front with each days games and times, so just check these out on the morning of the game you are interested in, or ask the staff who should be able to tell you in advance.
Good luck, I missed the Geelong vs Freo game, not because it wasn't telecast, but there was a torrential downpour as we were heading off, which lasted for a few hours and causing some minor flooding, and it became near impossible to get there with 3 young kids and a wife in tow.

I just got back from Bali last week, and there were heaps of bars showing live or nearly live AFL. The Bali Rock pub in Legian was showing most of the games, and there's another few in Kuta that have signs out the front with each days games and times, so just check these out on the morning of the game you are interested in, or ask the staff who should be able to tell you in advance.
Good luck, I missed the Geelong vs Freo game, not because it wasn't telecast, but there was a torrential downpour as we were heading off, which lasted for a few hours and causing some minor flooding, and it became near impossible to get there with 3 young kids and a wife in tow.

thanks mate - that's great!

BBC your best bet is running a quick google search on Australian bars in your city. It sounds as though you are going to be in asia, so I would be very surprised if you struggled to find a place to see a game. Watching footy on a computer screen will drive you insane. The quality is dodgy and you cannot recreate the atmosphere of watching a game amongst other fans.

I usually stay way clear of of Aussie bars overseas as I don't really like the patronage, but when you are watching a hot blooded game of footy these guys are your new best friends. Grab a frothie and watch the game, cost affective, more entertaing and far better quality.

I know there are heaps of bars in Shanghai and Beijing that cater for AFL, south east asia should be chockers and Japan would have at least one in the major cities.

You're right, it'll be 4 games a week, they're shown live. Last year I could watch them and also go on JTV to watch the rest but like the NBA the AFL have now gone all greedy and now that I'm in England I cant bloody watch a single game!

I'm sure they have IT staff now that troll the internet for anyone uploading the game from their home, so if anyone does wish to post any useful info to myself and BigBadCam, which would be much appreciated, please do so through a private message.

Good luck with it mate i'm struggling over here without footy!

Actually Australia Network is on a delay most games are delayed between 1/2 an hour to an hour and a half but because you are overseas it is easy to avoid the scores and just watch it as if it is live. The other option if you are in a country with stable internet is to try slingbox. Slingbox will cost around 3-400 aus. Requires an internet connetion and astro box in Australia and a PC and internet in other country then can stream your aus tv over to where ever you are.

Actually Australia Network is on a delay most games are delayed between 1/2 an hour to an hour and a half but because you are overseas it is easy to avoid the scores and just watch it as if it is live. The other option if you are in a country with stable internet is to try slingbox. Slingbox will cost around 3-400 aus. Requires an internet connetion and astro box in Australia and a PC and internet in other country then can stream your aus tv over to where ever you are.

Yeah, look it isn't too bad. You get a game on Friday night which is delayed. Generally it starts at 8pm Singapore time, but depends on super 14's as they seem to have first choice of slots. This week i think it was a 6pm game.

Saturday you usually get a 12.30 game which is the fox game i think but this week we got a 5pm Brisbane/Bulldogs game. On top of that, once super 14's is gone you will get a night match as well at a decent time, not 10.30pm. Sunday you get the early game, so an 11.30am start here in Singapore.

What this means is i have missed the cats for the last 2 weeks as the streams have been pulled. I did manage to get the game yesterday to have a look at however. The upshot is that you do get some football, and most of the finals are very close to live (15min delay) or live.

I would recommend the slingbox option if you have a paytv subscription and decent interent (cable or adsl 2 with upload data not counted). I don't have one, but i have seen one working well on a iphone and it was very nice indeed. I would have been running it if my folks had decent internet.

Good Luck, once again, i would like to point out how stupid the AFL is. If they offered a season pass subscription and streamed it themselves then i am sure a lot of people, including myself, would take up the offer. I can't believe that they are simply alienating a massive market.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who removed the pic of my missus?

What's the world coming to? :cool:

I too will be traveling soon, and was looking into how I was gonna watch the footy.

Has anyone had any experience with AFL internation subscription?

http://www.afl.aussiesport.tv/page/Faq

Cheers

Foose.

Hi Foose...see post 3 above.....I am in Europe and use it, and its just ok. Only a selection of full match replays, though highlights of every game are shown.

Omnisport for live streaming...$6 per game.....if you need to know more, let me know.

Funny story about watching the game overseas.

My old man is living in Beijing and he watches games on the Australia Network and in an "aussie" pub where the publican has hooked the TV up to an internet stream

He watched the grand final there last year. It was a live stream, except a few minutes into the third quarter and my mobile rang here in Australia, it was dad and the internet stream had gone down and a couple of hundred people were left with nothing but a blank screen.

So i ended up calling the game for him, and he shouted out that to the rest of the pub. For about 5 mins he was the pub's only source of action. You could hear the punters reacting to his call in the background.

Eventually they got it working again and everyone was able to watch the magnificent victory. Needless to say, my old man made a few mates that day.

I am going to Sweden in August and will miss September....

This is not cool.

I was there last year and had to listen to the Grand Final via the afl website. Made it much more stressful, but it paid off big time. Was my missus' birthday the previous night and we were staying with some friends of mine and had a big night. I got up at 4am to listen to the game, but couldn't make too much noise as I would wake up all the half-drunk people staying over there and all asleep. So when Chappy kicked the match-winner I was jumping up and down, trying to be quiet, doing awesome air kicks and fist pumps by my self. Good times!

Anyway, depending where you are going in Sweden you might be able to watch it. In the south, especially near Denmark, there is a growing (albeit small still) AFL league. Get in touch with those guys (the ones in Helsingborg were really easy to get in touch with when I was there on exchange and nice blokes) and I'm sure they can help you out. If you are near Copenhagen, it would be similar and they have more AFL interest there.

There is an Aussie pub in Gothenburg, just off Avenyn (the Avenue) near the university in the town centre. They used to show AFL games back in 2002, and I imagine they would now as well. The place was still there last year as I stumbled upon it again by accident. Good place to get an Aussie Beer or a nice meal too.

There was also at least one Aussie Pub in Stockholm which also did the same. Can't remember where it was exactly (was only 16 and using a fake ID back then to get into these places, so memories are a bit blurry), but it was a good set-up and they advertised AFL games being played there.

Otherwise, some of the online options listed here would be alright. At least the broadband speed in Sweden is better than here. Another idea would be to go to the thelocal.se as a few Aussies based in Sweden post there, and ask for their tips and hints.

Hope that helps a little.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back