Society/Culture Ways to improve the standards of Taxi Driving.

Remove this Banner Ad

TheSierBear

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
soft spot for Carlton out of pity
As everyone knows, the standards of Taxi Driving in Melbourne, and probably Australia is abysmal. Too often one drives down say, Elizabeth Street, and some inconsiderate Taxi Driver, parks in the middle of the street to drop off passengers. In fact the rest of society are probably almost as guilty of this as much as Taxi Drivers. All up, this add considerably to the toll on traffic congestion. Traffic congestion is a huge issue in society today, and one that is costing people their jobs if you've kept up to date with the recent news.

For Taxi's there's less of an excuse, because there's loading zones. Taxi Zones. Etc.
IMO, there needs to be more to police this, even though our society is a nanny state, more needs to be done about this.

The vast majority of Taxi drivers are from Pakistan or Punjabi, some have been here a few years, others longer if you've ever seen the chaos of the roads in India, it's easy to see why Taxi drivers, bringing their old habbits to Australia, have the reputation they do.

The question is, how does one police it? I'm against massive fines, as we need to have compassion for a poorly paid job.

I believe there is enough money in the Taxi industry and government to police this.

Firstly, there should be 2 or 3 Taxi policing vehicles moving through the city at any one time. A double edged sword I know. Controversial but I think they could really make a difference. So how can they improve things?

One way, is for, 'on the spot' fines, for letting out passengers in the middle of the road, holding up traffic for 30 seconds, when there is NO EXCUSE, there are Taxi Zones. The fine should be $20. It's the Taxi Drivers responsibility, and all other drivers responsibility, to ensure they have the money to pay these 'on the spot fines'. If one doesn't have the money, for Taxi and all other heavy vehicle bus drivers, it can go up to $200 and for the rest of society, $100.

There's also a three strike policy, three strikes, and the Taxi Driver must attend a drivers etiquette day conducted in a strict, military type training, to learn parking, hook turns, and to drive at the speed limit at all times, not slowing down, breaking or slowing down traffic because they are looking for a street sign so they drive 20kms less than the speed limit, or turning from the wrong turning lane etc. The training is unpaid and at the expanse of the drivers time.

Further, the Taxi Patrols, they also, can give $20 on the spot fines for driving too slowt, for driving in two lanes, for a poorly executed hook turn, - I nearly cleaned up a taxi driver as I went through an amber light, you get the drift. In general, it's just about improving the standards of taxi driving and all around morale on the roads, for everyone included.

What are people's thoughts on this? I think it has some merit, discuss?

Last edited:
I think its really good you have put so much thought into an important issue. Taxis are extremely important to the rich. Nobody ever thinks of them (rich)

• Banned
I think its really good you have put so much thought into an important issue. Taxis are extremely important to the rich. Nobody ever thinks of them (rich)

I'm not rich and I've caught many Taxi's. Taxi's are just as important to binge drinkers as they are to the 'rich'. I think keeping traffic congestion to a minimum affects all of society, all classes, everyone!

As everyone knows, the standards of Taxi Driving in Melbourne, and probably Australia is abysmal. Too often one drives down say, Elizabeth Street, and some inconsiderate Taxi Driver, parks in the middle of the street to drop off passengers. In fact the rest of society are probably almost as guilty of this as much as Taxi Drivers. All up, this add considerably to the toll on traffic congestion.

For Taxi's there's less of an excuse, because there's loading zones. Taxi Zones. Etc.
IMO, there needs to be more to police this, even though our society is a nanny state, more needs to be done about this.

The vast majority of Taxi drivers are from Pakistan or Punjabi, some have been here a few years, others longer if you've ever seen the chaos of the roads in India, it's easy to see why Taxi drivers, bringing their old habbits to Australia, have the reputation they do.

The question is, how does one police it? I'm against massive fines, as we need to have compassion for a poorly paid job.

I believe there is enough money in the Taxi industry and government to police this.

Firstly, there should be 2 or 3 Taxi policing vehicles moving through the city at any one time. A double edged sword I know. Controversial but I think they could really make a difference. So how can they improve things?

One way, is for, 'on the spot' fines, for letting out passengers in the middle of the road, holding up traffic for 30 seconds, when there is NO EXCUSE, there are Taxi Zones. The fine should be $20. It's the Taxi Drivers responsibility, and all other drivers responsibility, to ensure they have the money to pay these 'on the spot fines'. If one doesn't have the money, for Taxi and all other heavy vehicle bus drivers, it can go up to $200 and for the rest of society, $100.

There's also a three strike policy, three strikes, and the Taxi Driver must attend a drivers etiquette day conducted in a strict, military type training, to learn parking, hook turns, and to drive at the speed limit at all times, not slowing down, breaking or slowing down traffic because they are looking for a street sign so they drive 20kms less than the speed limit, or turning from the wrong turning lane etc. The training is unpaid and at the expanse of the drivers time.

Further, the Taxi Patrols, they also, can give $20 on the spot fines for driving too slowt, for driving in two lanes, for a poorly executed hook turn, - I nearly cleaned up a taxi driver as I went through an amber light, you get the drift. In general, it's just about improving the standards of taxi driving and all around morale on the roads.

Honestly, I'd rather the taxi pull up where it is and let me out, rather than circle or sit in traffic for longer, while looking for a place to park.

And I don't think their race plays a big part.

• Banned
Honestly, I'd rather the taxi pull up where it is and let me out, rather than circle or sit in traffic for longer, while looking for a place to park.

And I don't think their race plays a big part.

There's always going to be issues, questions such as the one you've highlighted, once the Taxi Driver reaches their destination, the meter is switched off, it switches off once the GPS (compulsory) states destination reached. If people need to walk 50 meters to get to the destination because of a lack of parking then thems the breaks, pun intended. The only excuse for the taxi driver would be a disabled, or elderly passenger, in which case, hazardous lights, perhaps unique to such a taxi should be on display. The elderly person must be 65 years plus, it's up to the Taxi driver to ascertain this, and it's up the the fines committee to use their discretion.

Unfortunately, drivers race plays a big part. Call me racist, but I've done tours on the Great Ocean Road around Chinese New Year, no the standard of driving is terrible during xmas new year as any idiot hiring a big campervan goes 20 kms under the limit, but you get a whole bunch of Chinese people doing this and they take it to another level stratosphere.

Also, Taxi Patrols have a security license, they are also out have a responsibility to protect Taxi Drivers from abuse, and can be called out in extreme cases, so they might be busy on Friday and Saturday nights.

Last edited:
There's always going to be issues, questions such as the one you've highlighted, once the Taxi Driver reaches their destination, the meter is switched off, it switches off once the GPS (compulsory) states destination reached. If people need to walk 50 meters to get to the destination because of a lack of parking then thems the breaks, pun intended. The only excuse for the taxi driver would be a disabled, or elderly passenger, in which case, hazardous lights, perhaps unique to such a taxi should be on display. The elderly person must be 65 years plus, it's up to the Taxi driver to ascertain this, and it's up the the fines committee to use their discretion.

Unfortunately, drivers race plays a big part. Call me racist, but I've done tours on the Great Ocean Road around Chinese New Year, no the standard of driving is terrible during xmas new year as any idiot hiring a big campervan goes 20 kms under the limit, but you get a whole bunch of Chinese people doing this and they take it to another level stratosphere. Call me racist, but it does play a part.

Also, Taxi Patrols have a security license, they are also out have a responsibility to protect Taxi Drivers from abuse, and can be called out in extreme cases, so they might be busy on Friday and Saturday nights.
Why do you keep asking me to call you a racist?

• Banned
Why do you keep asking me to call you a racist?

Also instead of putting extra speed cameras, the traffic police also patrol the roads during peak holiday season, drivers driving those big camper-vans can get a $40 (holiday season special) on the spot fine for driving too slow, 10kms in a 40-50km zone or not using slow vehicle turn-out, etc, failing to use them is a big no and heavily policed. Up to the patrol vehicles discretion and also, drivers are educated on the risk of these fines and patrols, they can be fined any time of the year, but instead f speeding cameras, this is more heavily policed.

Have you got ideas to ease the traffic burden or do you want to talk about race/racism?

Last edited:
Also instead of putting extra speed cameras, the traffic police also patrol the roads during peak holiday season, drivers driving those big camper-vans can get a $40 (holiday season special) on the spot fine for driving too slow, 10kms in a 40-50km zone or not using slow vehicle turn-out, etc.

Have you got ideas to ease the traffic burden or do you want to talk about race/racism?
I specifically don't want to talk about race...

I'm hoping you don't either.
I'd hate for this thread to actually be a way of attacking a race, rather than a discussion of the parking abilities of the taxi industry.

Taxis are a luxury. And no one wants to put time and effort into a luxury.

Having said that, I'd much prefer someone taxi than drink drive.

I rarely use taxis. Especially in places where the public transport system is as good as it is in Melb.
(If you think it's bad, try living in the NT, right Borry ?)

Cruising slowly for customers is a way to make a living. It's better if they are going slower... if they aren't paying attention to the road... So we need to solve the underlying problem, not just make a few rules and laws to bandaid it up.

Can you imagine the drunken conversation a taxi driver will have to have?
"Let me out here!"
Sorry I came to the exact place to stop the metre, but now I need to go away from it to find somewhere to park.
"* off you immigrant! Just pull up here and I'll jump out"
Again, sorry, but there are new rules.
etc etc etc

I don't think your ideas will work.
Fines won't work either.

I think keeping traffic congestion to a minimum affects all of society, all classes, everyone!
I really admire how compassionate you are to such an important issue.Traffic congestion affects everyone but poor people, because poor people don't have the money to drive. someone has to go into bat for the rich and privileged.

The poor need public transport. Do you think that, if public transport was upgraded it might lessen traffic congestion? Do you think it might actually also affect pollution and environmental issues. Do you think it mean less taxis? Do you think with less taxis, there will be higher standard of taxi drivers?

I really admire how compassionate you are to such an important issue.Traffic congestion affects everyone but poor people, because poor people don't have the money to drive. someone has to go into bat for the rich and privileged.

The poor need public transport. Do you think that, if public transport was upgraded it might lessen traffic congestion? Do you think it might actually also affect pollution and environmental issues. Do you think it mean less taxis? Do you think with less taxis, there will be higher standard of taxi drivers?
Are you kidding?
Is this Joe Hockey's account???

"Poor people don't drive"...???

I rarely use taxis. Especially in places where the public transport system is as good as it is in Melb.
The taxis I have used up here aren't as bad and dodgy as I thought, they are better than what they are in Sydney and Perth. Have not had any dodgy upcharges and service, but I have heard many of the usual stories of people getting knocked back rides on the main nightspot - wonder why drink driving is common up here?

Still can't understand why the NT government banned Uber, would have benefited their taxi industry significantly.

I think the taxi industry is one of those industries that needs to go private.

The taxis I have used up here aren't as bad and dodgy as I thought, they are better than what they are in Sydney and Perth. Have not had any dodgy upcharges and service, but I have heard many of the usual stories of people getting knocked back rides on the main nightspot - wonder why drink driving is common up here?

Still can't understand why the NT government banned Uber, would have benefited their taxi industry significantly.

I think the taxi industry is one of those industries that needs to go private.
I meant more the public transport up there, compared to Melb.

I specifically don't want to talk about race...

I'm hoping you don't either.
I'd hate for this thread to actually be a way of attacking a race, rather than a discussion of the parking abilities of the taxi industry.

Taxis are a luxury. And no one wants to put time and effort into a luxury.

Having said that, I'd much prefer someone taxi than drink drive.

Cruising slowly for customers is a way to make a living. It's better if they are going slower... if they aren't paying attention to the road... So we need to solve the underlying problem, not just make a few rules and laws to bandaid it up.

Can you imagine the drunken conversation a taxi driver will have to have?
"Let me out here!"
Sorry I came to the exact place to stop the metre, but now I need to go away from it to find somewhere to park.
"**** off you immigrant! Just pull up here and I'll jump out"
Again, sorry, but there are new rules.
etc etc etc

I don't think your ideas will work.
Fines won't work either.

Thanks for your constructive response, much better than your previous responses.

Taxi's might be a luxury to some, but to the roads, they are a burden, all vehicles are a burden, to anyone stuck in traffic they are a burden.

Taxi drivers need to pay attention to the roads, not their customers, unless they know the roads. That's the point. Cruising 20kms will make no difference to some rich fat-cat getting a lit to The Australian Club, but it will piss everyone else off on the road, a problem with traffic congestion.

Improvements to public transport will improve the situation as well. As would an East-West link, extra lanes over the Bolte and Tulla, better cycling paths, etc.

At the same time, Melbourne continues to grow, we keep planning more outer suburbs, such places that have been created are Caroline Springs, suburbs like Werribee have grown making the West Gatge Bridge a nightmare.

But this is about Taxi Drivers and their etiquettes It's about improving their industry.

Unfortunately any job you work there are shitty aspects. Sure the Taxi Driver might be copping abuse, but that's another topic to improve that in itself. I'm sure on Friday and Saturday nights Taxi Driving would be a tough gig re abuse.

But all other times there's probably little excuse.

Taxi Drivers can talk off a script of the new rule changes. Taxi Drivers are taught to be more assertive.
Society will be educated of the new rule changes through TV advertisements etc.
The Taxi Commission pushes for better relationship between taxi drivers and society through same avenue.
Some of the revenue raising speed cameras on Williams Street and Flinders Street and Williams Street and Little Collins Street goes towards the Taxi Commission to ensure our roads work better, particularly in the city, where every day you see Taxi Drivers letting off passenger and picking up passengers wherever they like when there's no excuse.

PS: I had done a tougher gig than Taxi Driving, airport shuttle bus, only briefly, if you are assertive enough, you will shut customers up. Yes, I saw an immigrant have the ability to do this too. Taxi Drivers must be taught what to say when to say as part of this job re, the importance of parking.

They WOULD NOT have the same troubles as I did with my brief time doing airport shuttles, not even close. On Friday and Saturday nights, perhaps Thursday nights might be as challenging as airport shuttle bus driving was.

As far as discretion goes, if someone is saying, '* off you immigrant' the discretion would be used to let the driver off. Also, the fines aren't massive, just $20. And Police also have a duty to 'police it, ensuring that there's a good chance a taxi driver will get done at some point in the day/week if they decide to park wherever they like/choose.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best way to improve taxi driving is to get a job and buy your own car.

And then glean a sober friend who will drive it when you can't.

As everyone knows, the standards of Taxi Driving in Melbourne, and probably Australia is abysmal. Too often one drives down say, Elizabeth Street, and some inconsiderate Taxi Driver, parks in the middle of the street to drop off passengers. In fact the rest of society are probably almost as guilty of this as much as Taxi Drivers. All up, this add considerably to the toll on traffic congestion. Traffic congestion is a huge issue in society today, and one that is costing people their jobs if you've kept up to date with the recent news.

Further, the Taxi Patrols, they also, can give $20 on the spot fines for driving too slowt, for driving in two lanes, for a poorly executed hook turn, - I nearly cleaned up a taxi driver as I went through an amber light, you get the drift. In general, it's just about improving the standards of taxi driving and all around morale on the roads, for everyone included.

People always put s**t on Taxi drivers, when it's bus drivers who should cop the s**t.
Not expunging Taxi drivers of any wrong but bus drivers are inbred, arrogant utensil suckers to a man.

What about truck drivers?

Truck drivers are more likely to be traffic police, bite your head off, if one is being inconsiderate jerk. Truck and Bus drivers have a route, usually, and know where they are going. So they don't slow down to 20kms, in a 40km or 50km or even 60km zone, not nearly as much. It's infuriating being stuck in traffic and some angst-ridden cabbie is doing 15kms because he hasn't made up his mind, turn or go straight, turn or go straight, * red light, and this happens regularly.

What about truck drivers?
I travel a great deal on our highways.
Canberra to Melbourne, Albury, Sydney, Townsville, Port MacQuarie. I have driven to and from Kalgoorlie and Perth several time from Canberra.
As a rule since the 100km speed limited option was accepted by the truckies 15 years ago they are great.

I have to admire this blatant show of ignorance about those you claim to support and represent.

I meant more the public transport up there, compared to Melb.
Yeah PT is non existent after 9pm. Nights can be expensive becauae of lack of PT for those in the northern suburbs and Palmerston way.

The last two times i have headed into the CBD to drink I have just taken the car in amd left it overnight in a car park, took a taxi home then slowly bus it back to the city the following morning to pick the car up.

The people who own taxi plates don't care who drives their cars as long as their cars are making money.
That's why the taxi industry will be gone.
Yep agreed, countless times i've gotten into a cab and the photo on the dash, has looked nothing like the person driving. Speaking to a few cabbies it's not uncommon for 4 or 5 drivers to use one licence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back