WBBL|03 (Women's Big Bash League 2017-18)

Remove this Banner Ad

Starts today! Same kind of deal as last season in terms of how to watch matches, all streamed live via CA and a dozen on TV. Channel 10 showing four matches from North Sydney Oval this weekend: this afternoon at 1.30pm, tonight from 6pm, and two more tomorrow between 10.30am and 5pm (local times).

On paper the Sixers are looking like the team to beat again. But for me there's just something about that Brisbane Heat squad, good balance and plenty of x-factor too.

Thunder look like a dangerous team with the bat, not sure about how they'll fare with the ball. Can't speak highly enough of the top-end talent at the Strikers, surely they'll be better than 8th this time around?

Wouldn't be surprised to see the two Melbourne teams switch places from seasons prior, I don't think the Stars are going to be able to cover their departures whereas the Renegades have a few additions that should probably have them come out ahead.

Not convinced the Scorchers are going to be able to stay up near the top, Lanning would be the inclusion to make me reconsider that but obviously she's still out injured. Likewise I don't exactly know what to think about the Hurricanes, they got the most out of themselves in WBBL02 and did a great job to make the finals but that's looking like a much tougher ask to repeat.

This is all guess work of course, it's one thing to have the names but they also have to perform so the 50-something matches will sort all that out.

Links:

4/58 after 10 overs to 6/200 at the end of the innings. Amazing display from the Thunder, in particular Carey with 47 off only 17 balls.

Some diabolical bowling there, if the score doesn't already tell the story. But gee, if this Renegades team are ever gonna chase down 200 it'd be now, all things considered.

I feel like nearly every T20 match produces something you've never seen before. Atapattu's dismissal of Haynes probably falls in that category--slowest bowled ever? It almost didn't make it to the other end of the pitch!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Complaining about the quality of T20 bowling seems a little pointless to me, a batswoman of Gardner's quality can turn a good ball into a missile heading towards the stands.
I actually think the professionalism of the women's game has improved and in such a short timespan that the fielding teams are struggling to find ways to curtail the extra strength and stroke play of the players.

Goddamn. What an excellent day it's been for watching batting. Duffin, Gardner and Perry in particular have been incredible to watch!

I hope Perry hasn't hurt that person in crowd too much, they were taking it pretty seriously.

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
Surely people will turn off if we keep seeing ridiculously short boundaries. I enjoy watching the womens game but how easy for bats...

Dec 21, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea, Redbacks, Adelaide United
Surely people will turn off if we keep seeing ridiculously short boundaries. I enjoy watching the womens game but how easy for bats...

It's North Sydney Oval, not much you can do. The boundaries aren't normally much bigger than this game anyway, just been some really clean hitting.

I reckon at least a third of the 6s today have cleared the fence. Not much you can do about it on a small ground.

As a rule though, I don't disagree, though for a different reason - I used to hate watching the boundaries being brought in last season when the WBBL game was a curtain raiser. It's extremely patronising to the women playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back