Game Day WC v Adelaide Game Day.

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH I turned on the TV to watch the game fully expecting another Loss .
We played better than I expected in the first half but we took our opportunities and Adelaide didn't .... that worried me.

The weight of numbers eventually got us and if we are honest the score line flattered us at three quarter time.

Needless to say the capitulation was disappointing and left a shitty taste in my mouth but in my heart of hearts the result was what I had expected.

There is a couple of ways to look at it :

1. Be pissed off that we lost and Fu(*** angry that the team ONCE AGAIN took the foot of the pedal.

OR

2. At least be thankfull that they played with some gusto in the first half.

I am pleasantly surprised with how well we have done in the first half of the season and I will put my hand up and say that I thought the bottom of the eight was at best where I thought we would finish.

Even though we have hit a shitty patch I have already recalibratted my expectations from pre season .
We will make the eight and be closer to making the top four than not.

To win a flag you need a lot of luck and need to be kissed on the dick by the Injury Gods ..... clearly they have deserted us ATM.

But what a stint of crap footy does is provide some sobering reality checks and provide a good audit on your list.

McInnes is not and never will be an AFL players a-hole......... sheer madness to give him any more game time ..... would rather put games into Brander or either of the Allen's than persist with # 36.
He is our tall mans version of McGinnity ....... must be a "Mc" thing...... play s**t for many years yet still snags another one year contract, every year.

Another low light..... and a comment that....... will garner some flack from his supporters is Masten ....... we witnessed once again that when the pressure is on and every player is required to put his body on the line ....... # 7 generally squibs and takes the alternate route ie bruise free football.
I will always feel nervous going into a big and important game with Masten in the side.

Not all negative I think the experience of todays game will be benificial in the development of Snake Waterman, Cole and Ainsworth.

Bottom line is we need to improve our midfield depth ( oh hardly a new concept, I hear you all say :ear: ...... and I almost apologise for raising it again.... but...... :shrug: our recruiters don't seem to get it ) .

Now we need to shunt Jetta off at seasons end............. he really pisses me off............. so much talent, so much flair and creativity....... so small a work ethic.

Thought our backline kept us in the game for the first half and kudos to Simpson for at least moving Gov forward and Yeo deep in defence.

Our forward line is very raw and struggled but they loss is all part of the learning curve.

Disappointing result and all that but we live to fight another day...... it wasn't the result that we had wanted but sitting where we are on the ladder at the moment is probably better than we thought at the start of the season.

Good points.

Not really blaming him, but acknowledging that he’s not an elite midfielder and the fact that he’s not elite is part of the reason we struggle to match it in the clearances at times
Fair enough.
One of the big problems of this whole Kennedy, Darling, Barrass mess is that the positional domino effect has resulted in Yeo being shifted away from where he has been so effective during our runs of wins. That seems to have affected Redden, and I'm sure it has also made life harder for Shuey.
Kerr was an elite midfielder but he wasn't nearly as effective once he had no help.
I think Shuey will be fine assuming we eventually start gaining more players than we lose to injury. He's part of the reason we even had a 27 point lead to blow.

Crows had player after player running at the contest. Eagles had one or two running at it with three or four standing flat footed on the outside waiting for the easy ball. Crows win ball and leave the people waiting on the outside standing still watching.
Isn't hat sort of what happened in the 1sr quarter against Essendon - seems as though since the St Kilda game we have gone back to playing only 3/4 of football. Against St Kilda it was the last, Sydney was just a tight contest won by the more accurate team on the day, Essendon the 1st and today the 4th quarter fade out again. What gives apart from the obvious missing some key soldiers etc.

Proud as punch with that effort, lads worked hard for a new game plan and came close to pulling it off.

Lol new game plan?

It was the same game plan rinse and repeat Simpson has had since day one

The only different game plan we brought was the first handful of games.
It's gone backwards since

I honestly think we lost because Adelaide's worst player injured themselves allowing themselves to stop turning it over to us.

I'm not saying we deserved to win, but Adelaide were trying for 3 quarters to make us look good. Then suddenly their disposal through the midfield got a whole lot better in the last quarter once their worst disposal player was off the ground for the rest of the game.

He is a good front runner when nic is handing the ball to him on a silver platter.
A bit harsh - we didn't have Nic last year and thought Shuey went ok last year. Obviously this year Shuey hasn't had much luck injurywise which has effected his form.
With all the injuries has effected the balance of the side. You take the best 3 forwards out of any team - they will struggle. Which means robbing Peter to pay Paul - Guv gets pushed forward to give us some marking power but then that means having to take Yeo out of the middle and play him once again in defence which throws things out and we lose a lot of our strengths. The sooner Barrass comes back the better. Also next week would bring in Vardy if fit. does Nic need a rest. Bring back Sheed. Jetta is a worry is Watson ready for an AFL debut. Do we throw caution to the wind bring back Brander and give him another go and how is Petrucellis form. So many questions.
Who would want to be a coach at times like this have noticed Simmo getting a few more grey hairs.
My IPad is having a hissy fit so sorry about the typos.

Shuey is a solid player but he is no superstar. Will be promptly forgotten once he stops playing. I remember when he came out saying that he wanted to be the best player in the competition - he is far from it but a good player.

If WCE keep playing Hutchings, Jetta and Masten, we may as well throw this season away. You can only carry so many good WAFL players before the team isn't AFL standard.
Masten on his day goes okay but not consistent enough and lacks that bit of mongrel that's required at AFL level. It's a shame that Nelson has flaws in his game for the one thing he doesn't lack is that bit of mongrel!

He has turned into a bit of a nothing player though, hasn’t he? I mean he was our great white hope for a number of years, yet to most non-WCE fans he is nothing special.

He is meant to be our numero uno. The guy who lifts the side, from the engine room, when we need it most.

Yet year after year we continually fail to rise to the challenge whenever the opposition puts us to the sword, and whenever the game isn’t played on our terms.

Why blame the coach or our fill-in forwards when Shuey should be taking a large amount of the responsibility for this?

I’m fine with him being just a normal B-grade midfielder, hey not everyone can be a star. But unfortunately that doesn’t help the side. We still need to find those truly elite midfield leaders, or we will struggle to win a flag.
Coming back from injury does need to be taken into consideration though I would think.

Coming back from injury does need to be taken into consideration though I would think.
I’m talking about the last few seasons - not basing this off just tonight by any means.

We all complain about lack of on-field leadership. So why not start querying our on-field leaders?

Just the team right now. Havent gone through enough of the game-day content yet to have an opinion on the board.
I'll save you the trouble, The board is f**ked up, part hilarious, part sad, part pathetic, part rational and discussing what and who went wrong. Lot of children spitting the dummy because things didn't go the way they wanted.
End of story.:cool:

Was at the game tonight and based on what I saw you’d pay Gov and Gaff what they’re asking. Outside of Yeo they were perhaps the only two players that looked dangerous around the ball if both were to go west coast fall off without strong replacements

As it stands West Coast don’t have genuine consistent ball winning midfielders. Yeo seemed more prevalent across half back and Gaff plays very loose/off the ball.

It seems for years now when the contest gets hard eagles fall off. When the midfield is up and about is when Nic Nat is dominant and that isn’t happening at the moment. Too much of a glut of these players who aren’t genuine bulls and are half pace plodders as well (Redden, Sheed, Masten, Hutchings, Ah Chee). Adelaide won that last quarter because they had more
Players harder at the contest wanting to run through the ball. That and Nic Nat failed to dominate a ruckman on his last legs.

Can’t see a lot of downside in playing Petrucelle at the moment over some of these plodders. At least he’s got a weapon that could be used to break lines.

Reckon shuey is carrying Injury still.

Classy Cornelius Roy. "Plodders"? Really? * off with that.

Shuey is a solid player but he is no superstar. Will be promptly forgotten once he stops playing. I remember when he came out saying that he wanted to be the best player in the competition - he is far from it but a good player.

If WCE keep playing Hutchings, Jetta and Masten, we may as well throw this season away. You can only carry so many good WAFL players before the team isn't AFL standard.

Why do you only post when we are going poorly?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you offended by the description or the inaccuracy of the statement? They Lack speed and don’t offset that with strength at the contest. Just facts.

Well, Sheed wasn't playing, and calling Ah Chee, Redden and Hutchings weak is comeplete bullshit. Are you honestly saying that ******* Hutchings doesn't crack in and tackle? What?

Classy Cornelius Roy. "Plodders"? Really? **** off with that.

Why do you only post when we are going poorly?

Also FKASC it's extremely disappointing to hear you say that. You're the last person I'd expect that from.

I know that people do look for someone to blame after a loss, but surely it's fairer to give Shuey the benefit of the doubt? Don't you remember the EF last year? What about the third quarter today?

Why can't he post whenever the * he wants.

Masten on his day goes okay but not consistent enough and lacks that bit of mongrel that's required at AFL level. It's a shame that Nelson has flaws in his game for the one thing he doesn't lack is that bit of mongrel!
Masten has been one of our most consistent players this year.

Well, Sheed wasn't playing, and calling Ah Chee, Redden and Hutchings weak is comeplete bullshit. Are you honestly saying that ******* Hutchings doesn't crack in and tackle? What?

There’s a difference between having a crack/tackling and winning contested ball strongly/cleanly/constintently allowing our outside players to attack through the corridor and put pressure on the opposition.

Our earlier success was on the back of dominance from lycett/Naitanui giving our midfielders silver service. There’s got to be an alternative when this doesn’t happen.

The game yesterday was played almost entirely on the wings. The 3 qtr time flattered the eagles. If Adelaide kicked straight it could’ve been a lot uglier. Look at the I50 count.

Last edited:
Masten has been one of our most consistent players this year.
I agree he has played his role well

But he is still up to his old tricks that frustrated people .

Squibed a contest last week

Slows down before a contest then tries to tackle instead of trying to win the ball in the first place .

Cant stick a tackle .

Slows down before a contest then tries to tackle instead of trying to win the ball in the first place .

Cant stick a tackle .

He is just about the weakest player in the side. I don't care if he is strong, pound for pound. That said, if he was better at his uncontested wing role; there wouldn't be a problem. Gaff coming along has really highlighted what Masten lacks to be considered even a "B" standard player. Masten has benefited from there being a lack of a better option over his entire career. Smart move staying at WCE, as his career would have been over at another club.

Cant stick a tackle .
That's Masten biggest trouble - his lack of size and mongrel. You can't help the way you're made I guess but surely a few more sessions in the gym would help? Masten not being able to stick a tackle is rather frustrating to us supporters, to say the least!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back