Wearing Footy gear during the week looks dodgy...

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends what and where you wear it IMO. If you wear an actual guernsey out of the house other then you're heading to a game you can come across as a bogan. I wear my nice Essendon polo sometimes (when going to watch my mates play sport) for example and don't see anything wrong with it. If you're happy wearing it and are a passionate support who gives a toss.

I wore a grey one of these to the KYUSS gig the other week.

KYUSS Lives :thumbsu:

On the topic of soccer shirts: Is there a rule that says Asians are only allowed to support Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and (bizzarely) the England national team?

New rule - Messi shirts. I was at Camp Nou last year for one of their CL group games and there were brand-spanking Messi shirts EVERYWHERE - both Asian and non-Asian.

wearing your AFL jumper was ok as a kid but grown ups no way! unless overseas its a real ice breaker and youll find fellow Aussies everytime.

[/b]

Look I'm a bit confused here. Is that a Melbourne thing? I've got a media polo which looks quite good with jeans or denim shorts that I don't have a problem wearing, and yes I do care about how I look in public. If it's sunny on the weekend i'll quite happily wear my Tigers cap.

Why the stigma with wearing AFL gear? I haven't seen that attitude here in WA.

I'd qualify the post you're quoting with footy jumpers on grown adults during the week. Polo shirts aren't uncommon and are not only for social outcasts. Not my thing, but I don't think it's a major fashion faux pas.

I'm constantly frustrated by the stuff they put on merchandise. Sometimes I see a t-shirt or cap I like but it has far too much guff on it. A couple of classic examples:
https://secure.shopdesq.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product&ProductID=17082&OrgID=1751
If the t-shirt only had the 'RFC' on it - not bad.
I quite like the cap but nobody in footy circles calls us the "Richmond Tigers." It's "Richmond" or the "Tigers" - you do wonder who designs this stuff. It would appear to be someone with no footy in their blood.

I occassionally wear my Geelong top or hat or even scalf during the week, no big deal. You see heaps of people wearing NFL gear, NBA gear, Soccer gear, what's the difference ?

I occassionally wear my Geelong top or hat or even scalf during the week, no big deal. You see heaps of people wearing NFL gear, NBA gear, Soccer gear, what's the difference ?

Yeah, it is funny how certain things are deemed 'nerdy' or 'dodgy' (ie wearing AFL gear) yet NBA gear is very much accepted. Wonder why.

Completely agree! Flat brim caps are s**t enough as it is, but leaving a sticker on it is just plain idiotic. Do you leave the price tag on too? :thumbsdown:
I want to rip the stickers off those hats, even with people wearing them. One of my personal bugbears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i've lost pretty much all my eagles gear. found a t shirt the other day that's about 7 years old thats still in decent knick.

only got my guernsey but that's for training.

most of the polo's and what not they release are pretty s**t and plastered with advertising.

i don't mind the scarves or beanies but have lost the one's i've owned over the years.

when i went to eagles-bombers they had a pretty cool hat on sale that looked a bit like this
Fashion_checked_hat.jpg

and had eagles logo pretty discretely in the corner... but at 30 bucks was a bit much.

most of the merchandise is way over the top price wise.

i'm training to find an eagles jumper with the old school gold wings that's not gonna cost me 100 bucks.

Definitely don't wear my Saints stuff aside from match day. I'll agree with the majority and state that it's the style of the merchandise here that makes it very...unfashionable. If there was some more appropriate items of clothing, I'd have no problem wearing it around town. That Everton jumper & jacket in the early pages of this thread was a huge winner - really nice and practical :thumbsu:

I think that Premier League tops (and other international league teams) are more socially accepted because well, they are just simply designed t-shirts in a comfortable fabric. The quality and simplicity makes it much easier to wear. I have no issue wearing my Fulham home or away kit (from 09/10 season) to wear to Chaddy, or to chill with mates or whatever, although I don't wear them that often. The thing that shits me is seeing the try hards who wear United/Chelsea tops, or Lakers/Heat/Celtics tops, yet wouldn't know a thing about the sport or team.

AFL clubs definitely need to improve the quality of the merchandise they have available. That Port Adelaide hoodie was an example of something that a fan could be happy to wear around town. Affordability is the other big factor, as a few people have mentioned. I got my two Fulham tops, a Fulham scarf and a couple of DVD's from the club shop for about the same price I would get a guernsey and a couple of keyrings from the Saints shop...

People would wear them more if they were shirts. Simple as that.

Also some supporters (I'm looking at you Brisbane Lions) may be a bit embarrassed to wear the guernsey.

Agreed.

Brisbane Lions must be the only sporting club on earth that sells more Heritage (First 18) merchandise than normal merchandise.

Agreed.

Brisbane Lions must be the only sporting club on earth that sells more Heritage (First 18) merchandise than normal merchandise.

seriously what are they thinking? I havent heard one supporter from any team for that matter say anything good about the paddle pop lion.

afl stuff looks unfashionable, the hats and beanies are dorky, the tops and jumpers look like they are from the past, and the rest of it just looks like training gear.

Yeah I don't wear my afl gear during the week. Club polos are ok for just lounging around home but will change to go out.

Only Bulldogs thing I regularly wear is a red white and blue rubber wristband, similar to the livestrong ones.

I'd wear the lifestyles range stuff, like this:

Away%20Team%20Singlet%20Thumb.JPG

Mens%20Home%20Team%20Singlet%20Thumb.JPG

CHAMP%20SINGLET%20Thumb4.jpg

I like wearing singlets, but guernseys are too thick and don't look right. The above are fine.

or:

Plaid%20Shirt%20Thumb.jpg

This plaid shirt and a pair of slim jeans wouldn't look so bad on colder days.

or:
Retro%20T-Shirt%20-%20Charcoal%20Thumb.JPG

and assorted colours of the same shirt.

Not a fan of the lifestyle polos though.

Jumpers, this:
FC%20Zip%20Hoody%20Thumb1.jpg

or this:
Line%20Hoody%20Thumb.JPG

Go alright.

So really- club apparel during the week looks a bit dodgy. But I'm impressed with the Bulldogs' lifestyle range. Most clubs would have similar items of clothing.

How many of you prefer wearing your teams's colours? I know I do and prefer wearing red and black. In fact I avoid black and white and other team's colours as much as I can and generally will not wear anything which is soley the opposition teams colour. I remember I brought a blue and white striped shirt, went home and realised it reminded me of the Kangaroos, so gave it to my dad.

How many of you prefer wearing your teams's colours? I know I do and prefer wearing red and black. In fact I avoid black and white and other team's colours as much as I can and generally will not wear anything which is soley the opposition teams colour. I remember I brought a blue and white striped shirt, went home and realised it reminded me of the Kangaroos, so gave it to my dad.

told an old gf of mine once that she looked like a Geelong supporter when I met up with her and she was wearing a blue and white hooped tank top... she was not amused as she barracked for North, her fault though

Remove this Banner Ad

Back