Podcast Weekend Wrap Round 6 v Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

JACOBS%20Sam.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listened to the recent Crow Cast -

CrowCast TNL 2018 Episode 19 - Resetting the Mechanism

Massively impressed with the discussion during this Episode, and in particular....great to hear Donkey Magoo on board :) :thumbsu: :beermug:. There were some great comments and discussions, but what really hit home for me, more than anything else, was the discussions regarding The Crows current batch of 200 Game Players (or thereabouts)....in comparison to our 200 Gamers around the time of our two Flags, and also in comparison to the 200 Gamers at other Clubs. e.g. (at the Crows)....

• Richard Douglas
  • David MacKay
  • Brent Rielly
  • Nathan van Berlo

....just to name a few. In comparison to the 200 Gamers at other Clubs, this is an absolute joke. An utter embarrassment beyond words. To have players of this calibre on your list for any reasonable length of time, let alone reach 200 Games? That just shows how incompetent and inept our List Management has been, overall, for a long period of time. Now don't get me wrong, none of those players individually are wholly and solely responsible for the Train-wreck that is our 2018 Season, not at all. But to have these blokes (now Douggie and D-Mac) as our so-called "Senior Experienced Players" that are supposed to rally the troops in the trenches when the going gets tough? The blokes that our younger players are supposed to "look up to" out on the Paddock? This is absolutely laughable. At the ends of the ground, the likes of Tex, Talia, and Betts can show true leadership and inspire the rest of the team, but between the Arcs....in the Middle of the Ground....it's an absolute vacuum, devoid of any serious grit and determination. The Sloane Ranger is a true warrior - a Battlefield General in the Midfield. But he's injured/not match fit, and he'll be gone in 2019. So what then?

There's another post somewhere that discussed our List Management problems far better than I ever could, but when I heard about this below, I had my head in my hands -

http://www.afc.com.au/video/2018-06-14/richard-douglas-signs-on

The AFL is a competitive sport, and the successful clubs do not hesitate for a moment in cutting loose players that are either substandard, or are too old when their Club is not in a Premiership Window. We should've either delisted or Traded-Out whole *regiments* of players years ago (including Scott Thompson), where we could've blooded a whole crop of promising Rookies. Sure, not all of them may have proven to be stars, but some of them might. At Melbourne, Goodwin got rid of one of their favourite sons in Jack Watts - a high ranking Draft Recruit. Hawks traded out Sam Mitchell and Luke Hodge. But never in a million years would the Crows take this approach.
Instead, our long-term List Management strategies have been the basketcase of the AFL. The road to a Premiership is not one game at a time, or even one Season at a time; it takes much longer than that. Every Club in the AFL recognises this fact except one - The Adelaide Crows.

Like I said, this is unlikely to have affected our current injury problems, but we very well have an entirely different list to work with. If you were to boil things right down to bare bones, The Crows' Nepotism (on and off the paddock), and lack of a long-term approach to List Management is what's killing this club. I just hope that Fagan has the power to put a stop to this rot.

Like my e-Signature says:

"If you want something different, you have to do something different...."

The very fact that they didn't get this bloke in as a Motivational Speaker is yet another sign of stubbornness and stupidity. What this bloke achieved is beyond anything you could imagine....he has more than the credentials to prove his worth. But the Crows won't have none of it, and instead went and and enlisted "Collective Brains."

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back