Welcome Barry Prendergast recruiter

Remove this Banner Ad

In the HUN.

NORTH Melbourne has bolstered its recruiting department, adding former Melbourne talent boss Barry Prendergast.

Prendergast has accepted a position as the Kangaroos’ recruiting officer and academy talent manager, helping oversee the budding junior talent in the club’s zones in northwestern Melbourne and Tasmania.

North Melbourne confirmed his appointment to the Herald Sun.

Prendergast headed Melbourne’s recruiting department from 2008-12 and drafted a swath of players including Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah and ace ruckman Max Gawn.

He has spent the past five years at Carlton working in the coaching department as an opposition analyst, but made the move to the Roos over summer.

Prendergast will help form part of a new-look North Melbourne recruiting department headed by former Geelong talent expert Michael McMahon.

The Roos’ former national recruiting manager Bryce Lewis has left the club.

The recruiting changes come as the Kangaroos’ embark on a critical transition period after parting with four club greats last season.

Former North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw said the Roos required an “aggressive reset” and would look to rebuild with top young talent after making finals in four of the past five seasons.

“From the board down to the footy department, all we said is, ‘Where are we going from here? What do the next five years look like?’ And I think we needed a pretty aggressive reset to give our club the best chance of playing in and winning its fifth premiership,” Brayshaw said last year.

“I think we need to get back to the draft, we need to get some really good quality kids into the place.

“We’ve got some already, but we need to add to that and we would be looking in this next five-year period to have a very strong on-field performance with sustained on-field success.”

Prendergast headed Melbourne’s recruiting department from 2008-12 and drafted a swath of players including Tom Scully, Jack Trengove, Jack Watts, Liam Jurrah and ace ruckman Max Gawn.

And that's not even mentioning the players they just flat out culled.

This appointment worries me.

I hope he works out well for you guys, but if I was a North supporter I would worry.

His track record with numerous high draft picks with us was horrendous. Maybe it was part developmental with the players as well, but when so many first rounders don't make it, the recruiters have to take some of that blame

And that's not even mentioning the players they just flat out culled.

This appointment worries me.
he drafted such 1st round stars as Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Toumpas and Cook (never played a game) who couldn't crack 25 games before being delisted/traded. Add Tappscott (48) to that list of stars as well

he drafted such 1st round stars as Blease, Strauss, Gysberts, Toumpas and Cook (never played a game) who couldn't crack 25 games before being delisted/traded. Add Tappscott (48) to that list of stars as well
We know what Gysberts' limitations were, but what was the story with the other 4? Did he reach to get them?

You also might have to forgive me but even the ones they mentioned are just ok players... excluding Gawn but then even he has only had one and a half seasons as a high impact ruckman.

We know what Gysberts' limitations were, but what was the story with the other 4? Did he reach to get them?
He had a reputation for going for athletes with high ceilings over players who were natural footballers. Blease was lightning quick, just couldn't find the football. Strauss was supposed to be a great kick, but we never saw it (he didnt have a bad leg break in his 2nd year though). Toumpas is scarred of people, Tapscott looked good early, but was too slow and Cook we never got to see (was delisted after 2 years and 0 games, despite being drafted at #12)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not exactly glowing references.

You also might have to forgive me but even the ones they mentioned are just ok players... excluding Gawn but then even he has only had one and a half seasons as a high impact ruckman.
Yep, very true. To be fair Gawn had 2 knee recos, so he was always going to take time.
The only players still left on our list are 2008 #1 watts & #51 Jetta (very under rated player). 2009 #2 Trengove #34 Gawn. 2010 #54 T.McDonald (very good pick). 2011 none. 2012 #26 Viney (Fatherson) #48 Kent

Pretty terrible reading considering the picks he had.

But hey, hopefully for North's sake he has learnt from his mistakes.after all he has plenty to learn from

Considering we recruited Brad Green from the basket-case Blues to be backline coach (after Bolton didn't want him), this doesn't really surprise me.

Last edited:
Considering we recruited Brad Green from the basket-case Blues to be backline coach (after Bolton didn't want him), this doesn't really surprise me.
So we are playing on the Map in order to bring in additional funds into the club to make s**t appointments like this. Yep, you have it all worked out. :stern look

So we are playing on the Map in order to bring in additional funds into the club to make s**t appointments like this. Yep, you have it all worked out. :stern look

It's not Tassie's fault the very important extra money we get has helped to obtain some Demon/Blue clowns.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back