Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

The knocks on Sharp are all about keeping focus and maintaining consistency. His basic toolkit is topnotch - no question marks about athleticism or skills.

I have some doubts about Longmuir, J but I have no doubt about his ability to define a role for a young winger and hold them to account within that role. He has runs on the board right there.

Sharp not getting an AFL gig with Gold Coast this last season are all about GC being petty and having a wealth of talent to cover the pettiness.

I'm hearing stories about how GC manage the development of their young talent that don't jibe well with what is standard practice elsewhere - where first-year players from interstate are expected to live; what exposure to positive preparation they get, from diet to recovery.

Not their fault necessarily. A lot of that sort of stuff is contingent on having "foster" families to help out or senior players willing to take dudes in and manage their settling in period. They genuinely have had to spring from nothing with not much in the way of entrenched AFL culture to piggyback off.

Anyway, I am super confident about this one. We're reaping, baby.

The knocks on Sharp are all about keeping focus and maintaining consistency. His basic toolkit is topnotch - no question marks about athleticism or skills.

I have some doubts about Longmuir, J but I have no doubt about his ability to define a role for a young winger and hold them to account within that role. He has runs on the board right there.

Sharp not getting an AFL gig with Gold Coast this last season are all about GC being petty and having a wealth of talent to cover the pettiness.

I'm hearing stories about how GC manage the development of their young talent that don't jibe well with what is standard practice elsewhere - where first-year players from interstate are expected to live; what exposure to positive preparation they get, from diet to recovery.

Not their fault necessarily. A lot of that sort of stuff is contingent on having "foster" families to help out or senior players willing to take dudes in and manage their settling in period. They genuinely have had to spring from nothing with not much in the way of entrenched AFL culture to piggyback off.

Anyway, I am super confident about this one. We're reaping, baby.
No doubt he's good athletically.

Think Henry on a wing was fundamentally flawed. No size, no depth in kicking, no pace, zero goal output.

Game on the line, down by less then a goal I don't want the ball going to henry, sideways look, 5 seconds later a 15m chip kick to someone.

Fair call. I think wing is his only realistic position however as he didn't show much in his early days as a forward. To be charitable towards Henry he took a long time to come to grips with playing AFL football so may now be better at playing a forward role.

I’m quite optimistic about Sharp for some reason. I think he can thrive here with us. Chances are he made a big mistake stealing Dew’s pie in the crib hut and that was it. No danger of the consequences being that harsh at Freo, JLo seems like a type that would share his lunch with ya

I’m quite optimistic about Sharp for some reason. I think he can thrive here with us. Chances are he made a big mistake stealing Dew’s pie in the crib hut and that was it. No danger of the consequences being that harsh at Freo, JLo seems like a type that would share his lunch with ya
I think there are excellent reasons to be bullish on Sharp.

PROS
Outstanding junior credentials
Speed
Great instinctive snaps on goal
Accurate 50m+ shots on goal
His highlight reel shows a range of good qualities/skills
Wants to be at Freo
His type is a big need for our group
Still young

CON
Couldn't break into Suns 2023 side

BUT I don't think the con counts for much. Imagine this: If he was a Freo player who had clearly signalled he was out the door in 2022 would we have given him games over other young players we were keen to develop and show some faith in to help keep them at our club? No way. So no need to cast shade on Dew or Sharp for his 2023 - it was irrelevant EXCEPT it kept him off the radar of the other 16 clubs.

Summary: I think he's an upgrade on Henry and we got him for nix. Freo, way to go. I think he'll be in our best 22 Rd 1.

I think there are excellent reasons to be bullish on Sharp.

PROS
Outstanding junior credentials
Speed
Great instinctive snaps on goal
Accurate 50m+ shots on goal
His highlight reel shows a range of good qualities/skills
Wants to be at Freo
His type is a big need for our group
Still young

CON
Couldn't break into Suns 2023 side

BUT I don't think the con counts for much. Imagine this: If he was a Freo player who had clearly signalled he was out the door in 2022 would we have given him games over other young players we were keen to develop and show some faith in to help keep them at our club? No way. So no need to cast shade on Dew or Sharp for his 2023 - it was irrelevant EXCEPT it kept him off the radar of the other 16 clubs.

Summary: I think he's an upgrade on Henry and we got him for nix. Freo, way to go. I think he'll be in our best 22 Rd 1.

I think we can add as a PRO that he tasted VFL Premiership success last year.

I think we can add as a PRO that he tasted VFL Premiership success last year.
Good point. Other PROS are that Freo have been watching him for years - we are obviously very keen. And his age profile is right at the sweet spot. If he is any good then it is likely 2024/25 that he will hit his stride. Thx GC for investing in his developing years. Remind us to but you another beer some day.

Lot of love for a guy who was delisted by a bottom 4 team
Yep, preseason does that to you, all our new recruits are going to be stars, we have amazing depth across all areas of the ground, Amiss will win the Colman medal, Serong the Brownlow, and Fyfe and Walters can retire as premiership players.
What’s not to love.

Lot of love for a guy who was delisted by a bottom 4 team
I might be worried if that bottom 4 team was WC or North but the Suns are a completely different story. Their list management processes and list profile is nothing like other clubs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Attributes of great wingmen. Schimmelbush, Keith Greig, Robbie Flower, Dipper, Mainwairing, Rhys Jones, Matera etc
Can run all day, defence and attack.
Fast enough.
Take ground.
Bigger bodies
Good overhead. Bit taller.
Kick goals.

Sharp: potentially tick, tick, tick, tick, tick tick.
Henry: Crickets.
Sleep lost from losing Liam. Zero minutes.

The offer to stay at GC was likely a rookie spot. So let’s not get too carried away.

Also may need to temper expectations a little. Sharp from the many games played at VFL didn’t exactly set the world on fire. He was ok with a couple of very good games. Many games he went missing for large periods.

Great that we get him at no cost but at the end of the day he was a fringe list player and others prioritised ahead because he was halfway out the door. Dew clearly marked his card but the sacking and King taking over made no difference.

He will get a really good opportunity to win our wing spot but there are others not playing at the end of the season that are having good pre-seasons (namely Heath Chapman and NOD).

Some of the Henry hate is bit over the top. He played some pretty decent wing footy late in the year but we lost most of those games. The final game of the year he had no influence and was tagged for quite a bit. We ended up winning that game comfortably. His kicking depth was a major issue. One that really can’t be fixed. Acres kicked the ball very high but had good depth. One thing Sharp is good at is long kicking and not five miles into the sky. Not sure that I’ve seen any contested ball and despite the reports chops out getting into the backline he really didn’t do much or get himself into a good defensive position.

Sharp’s fitness and offseason away from club has been impressive so he is off to a good start but he is in the mix with a number of others for wing. No way he is a lock.

The offer to stay at GC was likely a rookie spot. So let’s not get too carried away.

Also may need to temper expectations a little. Sharp from the many games played at VFL didn’t exactly set the world on fire. He was ok with a couple of very good games. Many games he went missing for large periods.

Great that we get him at no cost but at the end of the day he was a fringe list player and others prioritised ahead because he was halfway out the door. Dew clearly marked his card but the sacking and King taking over made no difference.

He will get a really good opportunity to win our wing spot but there are others not playing at the end of the season that are having good pre-seasons (namely Heath Chapman and NOD).

Some of the Henry hate is bit over the top. He played some pretty decent wing footy late in the year but we lost most of those games. The final game of the year he had no influence and was tagged for quite a bit. We ended up winning that game comfortably. His kicking depth was a major issue. One that really can’t be fixed. Acres kicked the ball very high but had good depth. One thing Sharp is good at is long kicking and not five miles into the sky. Not sure that I’ve seen any contested ball and despite the reports chops out getting into the backline he really didn’t do much or get himself into a good defensive position.

Sharp’s fitness and offseason away from club has been impressive so he is off to a good start but he is in the mix with a number of others for wing. No way he is a lock.
Not sold on this kid at all. Had some good moments in his first year, some great goals, but they looked more flukey to me - has a horrible ball drop that leads to perfect flourbags. It's critical wingers can hit targets regularly. Watching him finish the year out at Peel last season was pretty yuck. His grand final performance was terrible from the start and made me think he was a long way off.

Hey he's a top kid, great clubman by the looks, but he has a lot of improvement before I'd even put him close to Chapman. Sharp and Dris are probably level pegging to degree, but Sharp's atheltic ability are way in front.

Not sold on this kid at all. Had some good moments in his first year, some great goals, but they looked more flukey to me - has a horrible ball drop that leads to perfect flourbags. It's critical wingers can hit targets regularly. Watching him finish the year out at Peel last season was pretty yuck. His grand final performance was terrible from the start and made me think he was a long way off.

Hey he's a top kid, great clubman by the looks, but he has a lot of improvement before I'd even put him close to Chapman. Sharp and Dris are probably level pegging to degree, but Sharp's atheltic ability are way in front.
No idea whether NoD makes it as an AFL player, but there is no chance his kicking action is any worse than Langdon's. That won't be the deciding factor.

No idea whether NoD makes it as an AFL player, but there is no chance his kicking action is any worse than Langdon's. That won't be the deciding factor.
Agreed, Langdon's kick was disgusting and the cause of consistent turnovers as all our players were running forward and offside. I was happy to see him go.

BUT

Melbourne have coached him perfectly. It's clear they've asked him to shorten his kicks to reduce risk and keep his skills within his comfort zone. Langdon's got a lot of good tools, but for whatever reason at Freo he was generally trying to kick too long, biting off too much. His pace, ability to find space and break lines is exactly what you want from a winger which he gives to Melbourne, and now without the turnovers.

i'm not yet convinced NOD has the ability to find space consistently and also hit targets regularly with his average kick.

Last edited:

Has an awful debut year with peel and shows nothing.

Becomes a regular in 2022 and has a knack for kicking goals.

Reverts back to his debut year in 2023.

His kicking and fitness isn’t up to scratch for mine. Big year for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back