Welcome Welcome to Richmond pick 40 Kane McAuliffe

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on nothing at AFL level, I have "good vibes" and a good feeling about this kid.

He'll certainly play games in 2024, although I'm not sure he breaks into the round 1 team if everyone is fit.

Prestia, Martin, Bolton, Dow, Hopper, Ross, Taranto, Graham as likely midfield options all who can play inside at the contest, I'm not sure he breaks into the lineup just yet without some good VFL form to force selection.

A lot depends on if he plays a big one in the preseason match vs the Pies.

Based on nothing at AFL level, I have "good vibes" and a good feeling about this kid.

He'll certainly play games in 2024, although I'm not sure he breaks into the round 1 team if everyone is fit.

Prestia, Martin, Bolton, Dow, Hopper, Ross, Taranto, Graham as likely midfield options all who can play inside at the contest, I'm not sure he breaks into the lineup just yet without some good VFL form to force selection.

if he mangles either daicos brother he will play 23 games.

Prestia won't play round 1, guys leg muscles are ****ed.

Prestia won't play round 1, guys leg muscles are ****ed.
Prestia must have done a lot of work presason because the came around 6th in the time trial. So he has a good base for the season.

He has probably had a bit of hamstring soreness in the last few weeks because that is how long he has been in rehab. They probably let him have a run under the condition that any feeling in the hammy come off, which is probably what happened. I haven't heard the extent of the injury, but being managed doesn't sound like a pinged hammy proper. It's all a guess because the club hasn't said anything, but hopefully it was just precautionary.

Prestia must have done a lot of work presason because the came around 6th in the time trial. So he has a good base for the season.

He has probably had a bit of hamstring soreness in the last few weeks because that is how long he has been in rehab. They probably let him have a run under the condition that any feeling in the hammy come off, which is probably what happened. I haven't heard the extent of the injury, but being managed doesn't sound like a pinged hammy proper. It's all a guess because the club hasn't said anything, but hopefully it was just precautionary.

If we have Meatball at anything like his best we win big time. It's just so hard to be positive after all the years of injury

If we have Meatball at anything like his best we win big time. It's just so hard to be positive after all the years of injury
Yeah absolutely
Although not ideal the silver lining is that in his absence it opens up another spot in the midfield rotations for a younger player to have a crack

Yeah absolutely
Although not ideal the silver lining is that in his absence it opens up another spot in the midfield rotations for a younger player to have a crack
I think this will be the big surprise of the year, our midfield. For the past two seasons we had Cotchin near the end, still an okay player but very one dimensional at the end. Certainly not the creative player he was. Prestia has also been average, especially by his standards. Last season Hopper was also average courtesy of coming of two seasons without a preseason to speak of.

Hopper looked very sharp last week. Dow was dynamic around the ball and his quick in and our and release set up a lot of play, ask Dusty. Prestia has had a good preseason up until a few weeks ago, so should be better for it, but as you say it gives another a chance. Sonsie has had a good season in the VFL to fix some deficits, McAuliffe looks the goods, Dusty is in the best shape for years and Bolton is ready to really let go. Graham is fit, Baker..... Unless injury derails us, that midfield is are so much better than last years midfield where Toranto had to do it all. I will back in Taranto to not necessarily have a better year, but I think his ball use will improve as he won't be as fatigued. I love my summer rose coloured glasses (after one scratch match to boot).

Last edited:
I think this will be the big surprise of the year, our midfield. For the past two seasons we had Cothin near the end, still an okay player but very one dimensional at the end. Certainly not the creative player he was. Prestia has also been average, especially by his standards. Last season Hopper was also average courtesy of coming of two seasons without a preseason to speak of.

Hopper looked very sharp last week. Dow was dynamic around the ball and his quick in and our and release set up a lot of play, as Dusty. Prestia has had a good preseason up until a few weeks ago, so should be better for it, but as you say it gives another a chance. Sonsie has had a good season in the VFL to fix some deficits, McAuliffe looks the goods, Dusty is in the best shape for years and Bolton is ready to really let go. Graham is fit, Baker..... Unless injury derails us, that midfield is are so much better than last years midfield where Toranto had to do it all. I will back in Taranto to not necessarily have a better year, but I think his ball use will improve as he won't be as fatigued. I love my summer rose coloured glasses (after one scratch match to boot).
100% the same page mate I think the weight of expectations will make all the difference as well

This time last year we definitely overestimated how our year world turn out off the back of a very close finals loss and two massive midfielder additions

But ultimately injury and other external factors humbled us quite a lot

This year for the most part although optimistic we aren’t really thinking we are shooting for a top 4 or even a top 8 finish (although none out of the question it will take an amazing year for especially in terms of list health) just looking to see some evolution of both the gameplan and personal in the side seems to be our biggest expectation overall

Yeah absolutely

I want Meatball to play, a lot. But also would love to have our next midfield get experience. If our midfield is as good in reality as it should be on paper we will be a scary team to play. Meatball is now on the edge of that midfield.

If guys like McAuiffe (it's his thread after all) get game time then all good. I hope we get Sonsie to play good footy and fit into our midfield, cause his skill set is something we lacked and can turbocharge our game.

I think this will be the big surprise of the year, our midfield. For the past two seasons we had Cothin near the end, still an okay player but very one dimensional at the end. Certainly not the creative player he was. Prestia has also been average, especially by his standards. Last season Hopper was also average courtesy of coming of two seasons without a preseason to speak of.

Hopper looked very sharp last week. Dow was dynamic around the ball and his quick in and our and release set up a lot of play, ask Dusty. Prestia has had a good preseason up until a few weeks ago, so should be better for it, but as you say it gives another a chance. Sonsie has had a good season in the VFL to fix some deficits, McAuliffe looks the goods, Dusty is in the best shape for years and Bolton is ready to really let go. Graham is fit, Baker..... Unless injury derails us, that midfield is are so much better than last years midfield where Toranto had to do it all. I will back in Taranto to not necessarily have a better year, but I think his ball use will improve as he won't be as fatigued. I love my summer rose coloured glasses (after one scratch match to boot).

100%.

If we can get the inside mids getting their hands dirty and releasing to our more outside players then watch out. imagine Dusty, Shai and Sonsie getting cleanish ball and hitting targets form contests. We'll rip some teams to shreds.

Something we haven't seen for the last few years. We have the players, now let it happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%.

If we can get the inside mids getting their hands dirty and releasing to our more outside players then watch out. imagine Dusty, Shai and Sonsie getting cleanish ball and hitting targets form contests. We'll rip some teams to shreds.

Something we haven't seen for the last few years. We have the players, now let it happen.
Quick hands are so important and makes you appreciate how good Edwards was. Prestia also at his best.

Quick hands are so important and makes you appreciate how good Edwards was. Prestia also at his best.
Sheds was amazing. Just such brilliant player.

Prestia different. But his best is incredible.

McAuliffe I have no idea. By this thread he will be he 2nd coming of Deledio, but better.

Not to put too much on the kid but he has a bit of the Vossy's about the way he moves and plays
thatll-donkey.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back