List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Alex Witherden.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's going on with this guy? Is he just being kept out by Hurn and others or something else going on? I thought he'd be best 22, but can't find a peep on him. Does his seconds form suggest a call up soon?
Backline has been so lethal so far this year who do you drop for him

cole is in 2018 form - i thought him or bunga might be the ones but bunga is killing it as well

nice to have selection headaches like that

Witherden will be a long term player for us. It’s probably fair to assume that this is JK’s and Hurn’s final go around, so Alex will get his opportunity next season. This year may be more of a development one learning the game plan, but I expect we will see him at some stage during the year due to injury or rest to some of the back line.

Also Witherdens lack of accountability is a factor into him not getting a game atm. Jetta in the past was some what unaccountable buthe knew the system and his defensive work wasn't that bad (especially in 18 and most of 19). As much as his kicking suiting our style, his defensive work has a lot of improvement left and with Simmo valuing flexibility and versatility, it makes sense why he hasn't got a game.

The fact that he's been working 1v1 with Brad Sheppard says that we are trying to develop that side of his game.

Last edited:

If we plays well and Hurn comes back how do we re-arrange our backline?

Do we drop a Tom Cole who has been OK at best bar his round 1 game.

Then when Yeo and Shuey come back how do we fit Duggan back inot the backline unless we play Duggan as winger?

Then when Yeo and Shuey come back how do we fit Duggan back inot the backline unless we play Duggan as winger?
It would be a great problem to have. The pressure of selection will push the team to greater heights. We play the players in the best form. Witherden has to play well to keep Duggan or Cole out. He would have to play exceptional footy to keep Hurn out. Interesting times.

It would be a great problem to have. The pressure of selection will push the team to greater heights. We play the players in the best form. Witherden has to play well to keep Duggan or Cole out. He would have to play exceptional footy to keep Hurn out. Interesting times.
Sounds silly but I’d give Cole a run in the forward line just to apply tackling pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't mind Cole being pushed further forward into the midfield

He hit the score board for us a bit last year in that role by getting to good positions

How many shots has he attempted that went out of bounds?

This is what gets me when people talk up Matthew Richardson's career accuracy rate compared to other KPFs from his era - it doesn't record the number of shots he had that went out on the full, which was a LOT.

Anyway, Witherden. Hope he plays well.

Witherden kicking in makes a hell of a lot more sense than McGovern kicking in.

FFS .......... I can never understand why one of our best overhead marks, would be kicking the ball in after a point :shrug: , thereby depriving us of a dependable marking option to kick to.

With NN and Barrass on one flank and The Gov centre and roaming towards the opposite flank, that to me, makes a lot more sense, ensuring a far more dynamic and versatile plan, with options, to ensure that the kick in is marked and then, the play reloads for a forward 50 entry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back