West Coast Eagles 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Duggan? How many wins is Liam Duggan worth??
When you're without Shuey, Kelly and really Yeo I'd say he's worth a little. When Sheed bashes away for 40 touches you want anyone at all who can play in the midfield getting the ball instead.

Their lack of mid/flanker types is clearly a big issue. Though every side would be struggling without the bigger names.

Fremantle have 15 AA quality players out do they?
You stated that the Eagles have had more AA players out injured than Freo have had players injured in total, am I not wrong?

Regardless... most teams have been hit by injuries, how much you can adapt is a bigger question. When Richmond had all of their players out last year they were still quality for most of the season and even in the first 10 games of 2019 they still sat at 4th despite their injuries. It can be done.

I'll also start rating you once you can beat a decent state interstate

So which ones weren’t in your 22 at the start of the game?
The issue is midfield clearly and Shuey, Kelly out now and Yeo underdone is the problem. Midfield is also the biggest area of weakness of the team as they drafted kpp and not mids

You stated that the Eagles have had more AA players out injured than Freo have had players injured in total, am I not wrong?

Regardless... most teams have been hit by injuries, how much you can adapt is a bigger question. When Richmond had all of their players out last year they were still quality for most of the season and even in the first 10 games of 2019 they still sat at 4th despite their injuries. It can be done.

I'll also start rating you once you can beat a decent state interstate
Was saying eagles have more AA level players injured this year than Fremantle have AA players total.

The issue is midfield clearly and Shuey, Kelly out now and Yeo underdone is the problem. Midfield is also the biggest area of weakness of the team as they drafted kpp and not mids

Id also add Natanui into that.

He’s either carrying an injury...or he’s fat and unfit...Outside ruck knocks he’s dead weight and Phillips torched him around the ground

Id also add Natanui into that.

He’s either carrying an injury...or he’s fat and unfit...Outside ruck knocks he’s dead weight and Phillips torched him around the ground
Yeah but they are asking him to do the ruck then follow up, get the clearance, tackle etc. He was the best WC player tonight and he's being asked to do too much. Of course he's going to be gassed after doing the work for the midfield as well as ruck

West Coast were out hunted but let’s not pretend Essendon weren’t without key players either.

Tough loss to swallow and perhaps one they’ll need to have but fully expect them to be around the 8 with key players back in the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remained unconvinced that a reason for Essendon's success hasn't been moving on from Hurley - brain fades, poor defensive efforts and Shiel - the butcher of all butchers. Laverde and Parish are far better replacements.

And whilst I'd want Draper I thought Phillips had huge moments tonight too. You couldn't ask for any better ruck play against Nic Nat in terms of big moments.

Plus that extra tall forward being absent was looking costly early but then became a strength once the rain started and once Allen was out.

Credit to the season Essendon are having for a lot of parts. But the one thing that gets a bit overhyped in 'plucky young Essendon' is that the Bombers midfield core of Merrett, Parish, McGrath and Langford, plus a big chunk of the flanker talent aren't young at all.

And in terms of star mids when the other side has lost Kelly and Shuey and Yeo's a mile off, the Essendon mids can and did give Sheed, Gaff and Redden a bath. Essendon had the 3 best mids on the ground and played like it.

Yeah but they are asking him to do the ruck then follow up, get the clearance, tackle etc. He was the best WC player tonight and he's being asked to do too much. Of course he's going to be gassed after doing the work for the midfield as well as ruck
Every single ruck in the comp is asked to do that. No ruck just does the taps then watches the play these days.

I get that Nic is an explosive athlete and probably needs a bit more rest than some other guys but he spends way too much time on the bench. With the game there to be won and the ball trapped in the Eagles backline midway through the last he was on the pine for his second stint of the quarter and on 67% time on ground.

Star players have to just push through it and get out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every single ruck in the comp is asked to do that. No ruck just does the taps then watches the play these days.

I get that Nic is an explosive athlete and probably needs a bit more rest than some other guys but he spends way too much time on the bench. With the game there to be won and the ball trapped in the Eagles backline midway through the last he was on the pine for his second stint of the quarter and on 67% time on ground.

Star players have to just push through it and get out there.
He had 20 possessions, 6 tackles and 40 hitouts tonight. Yes he could play a bit more TOG (had 70% tonight) but if the midfield could do something at an AFL standard level he would have more energy to do it.

Shuey
McGovern
Duggan
Witherden
Yeo first game back today
Ryan, Hurn, Barrass all having stints out
Kelly and Allen injured today

Lots of quality there.

* me they asked who is out of your best 22 and you named more players who actually played tonight than didn’t, talk about drawing a long bow.

He had 20 possessions, 6 tackles and 40 hitouts tonight. Yes he could play a bit more TOG (had 70% tonight) but if the midfield could do something at an AFL standard level he would have more energy to do it.
A midfield without Kelly, Shuey and with Yeo way underdone just isn't going to do much at an AFL standard, not without Nic Nat feeding them.

He should've played 25+ minutes of the last quarter. He didn't.

I remained unconvinced that a reason for Essendon's success hasn't been moving on from Hurley - brain fades, poor defensive efforts and Shiel - the butcher of all butchers. Laverde and Parish are far better replacements.

And whilst I'd want Draper I thought Phillips had huge moments tonight too. You couldn't ask for any better ruck play against Nic Nat in terms of big moments.

Plus that extra tall forward being absent was looking costly early but then became a strength once the rain started and once Allen was out.

Credit to the season Essendon are having for a lot of parts. But the one thing that gets a bit overhyped in 'plucky young Essendon' is that the Bombers midfield core of Merrett, Parish, McGrath and Langford, plus a big chunk of the flanker talent aren't young at all.

And in terms of star mids when the other side has lost Kelly and Shuey and Yeo's a mile off, the Essendon mids can and did give Sheed, Gaff and Redden a bath. Essendon had the 3 best mids on the ground and played like it.

The core isn’t exactly old. Merrett is ‘only25’, Parish 24 and McGrath is 23.

The core isn’t exactly old. Merrett is ‘only25’, Parish 24 and McGrath is 23.

Not saying they are old, but that's prime midfield years. McGrath's even 22 but he had such a good physical base coming in, he's been ready very early.

A lot of Essendon's success this year has been due to Rutten getting a lot more out of the 23-25 year old guys who were physically ready to perform but who Woosha was stuffing around.

A midfield without Kelly, Shuey and with Yeo way underdone just isn't going to do much at an AFL standard, not without Nic Nat feeding them.

He should've played 25+ minutes of the last quarter. He didn't.

In my book, NicNat is unfit. They’ve bulked him up too much, and thus he’s big & strong, but has no endurance.

Did the same to Woosha, many years ago. He had to shed the weight to get his bite back.

NicNat = improve endurance = trim bulk.

NicNat is no Gary Dempsey.

Disagree on Shiel, Parish is just as much of a butcher imo and expect Shiel will slot in nicely when he returns. Agree on Hurley but it’s more him being cooked than anything else.

Laverde, Hind and Stewart have all been very good additions to the back line.

Langford has played much mid until tonight at all this year. The core is very much McGrath (22), Merrett (25) and Parish(23). Agree it probably shouldn’t be characterised as young.

Philips is no good but he tries hard and it works some times. A reasonable break in glass in case of emergency type

Injuries can explain form but it doesn't explain effort. That second half was woeful.

We're not contending even with a full squad - would surprise me if we break our SCG hoodoo next week against Carlton.

2022 is probably our last tilt with the core of our 2018 squad.

Mentally weak physically soft team with an outdated gameplan and a coach with zero ability to innovate and adapt if plan A isnt working.

A team that has zero ability to play instinctive footy if Nic Nat isnt forcefeeding the mids and JK and JD arent kicking at 90%.

Gaff would struggle to outrun a sausage dog over 20 meters, ditto Sheed and Redden. Shuey will never be the player he was, will be lucky to get 12 games a year out of him. NN (As well as he played last night this year is his last hurrah i feel) JK Hurn and Cripps are on last legs. The end will come fast for Mcgovern and Gaff probably in 2023.

Oscar Allen Barrass Ryan Sheppard and Yeo need to hold the line for now.

New coach new gameplan and draft some decent mids FFS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back