Up the Coasters West Coast Eagles - Best Ever Games (The Game)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Also have very fond memories of the 91 Prelim.

Watched in my bedroom nervous as anything.

Sumich was brilliant.

Just a great slogging win that Im sure took it out of us and contributed to our poor 4th qtr in the 91 GF as well as Hawks with a week off.

But I still LOVE that 91 Prelim

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Really interesting choices. Some great picks really. Surprised the 2006 Grand Final hasn't come up yet, apart from the 1992 Grand Final they've all been games from this decade. But I do like the variety. They've all been defining games.

A left-field pick that I had up my sleeve if I didn't get such a high selection would have been 2011 Round 16 vs Geelong. * me that was an amazing game live. I won't say any more now in case someone chooses it, don't want to rain on their parade, but I'll say a few words about it and my other picks that I would have chosen once this game is done and dusted.

Great thread.

Pedals23

Team Captain
Jun 12, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Really interesting choices. Some great picks really. Surprised the 2006 Grand Final hasn't come up yet, apart from the 1992 Grand Final they've all been games from this decade. But I do like the variety. They've all been defining games.

A left-field pick that I had up my sleeve if I didn't get such a high selection would have been 2011 Round 16 vs Geelong. fu** me that was an amazing game live. I won't say any more now in case someone chooses it, don't want to rain on their parade, but I'll say a few words about it and my other picks that I would have chosen once this game is done and dusted.

Great thread.
I was also too young for 2006. Definitely considered the above game, as that was the game that made me fall in love with the Coasters, but then I would actually need to watch parts of that game, and that was too much effort for me.

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I was also too young for 2006. Definitely considered the above game, as that was the game that made me fall in love with the Coasters, but then I would actually need to watch parts of that game, and that was too much effort for me.

I was 22 in 2006 so was fully invested in that season and that game :moustache: It's a shame you missed Judd/Cousins/Kerr at their peak, but I guess every generation has situations like that.

My Dad raves about Laurie Keene but the only game I've seen him play is our very first game, a copy of which came with the 92 Victory Pack on DVD. I would have been two, turning three when that game was played live :$

Sep 21, 2004
Adel - SA - Aust - Earth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Norwood & Liverpool.
Geelong/Carlton back-to-back :moustache: The Prelim :moustache:

I love this club.
I was unable to watch both of these but remember checking the scores and feeling devo only to both weeks chuck a radio on to listen to the last few mins... was spine tingling the riar through the radio!! EMBLEEEEY!!!!

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 8, 2006
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
I can add you to the end of the order if you're keen?

Just remember folks, we're gonna keep going after everyone's gone once. So Ambrose Burnside will go again start of the next round. Save your picks up your sleeve. :)

Oh s**t really?

I shouldn't have been mentioning so many games :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

#6 - 2006 Grand Final vs Sydney
One of the great modern rivalries, the West Coast Eagles and Sydney Swans met six times between September of 2005 and March of 2007. The margins in those meetings? 4, 4, 2, 1, 1, 1. The contrasting game style of West Coast’s run and gun midfield power and Sydney’s constricting team defence made for many classic encounters, several enthralling finals and a number of historic moments along the way. A matchup which could make or break your season, games that were never over when they seemed to be and two teams that scared the s**t out of the state of Victoria, Eagles/Swans was always must see. Which brings us to…

1572112231841.png

THE 2006 AFL GRAND FINAL – WEST COAST EAGLES VS SYDNEY SWANS

2006 record: West Coast 17-5 (first), Sydney 14-8 (fourth)

2006 All Australians: West Coast - four, Sydney - four

Brownlow medallists in named side: West Coast – two, Sydney - two

Number of fingers in named side:
West Coast - 219, Sydney – 220

Having met in the 2005 Grand Final, which saw [REDCATED] win the [REDACTED] thanks to the last gasp heroics of [REDACTED], the Eagles and Swans descended on the MCG to once again do battle for the greatest prize of all. The two clubs had played as recently as the Qualifying Final three weeks earlier, with Michael O’Loughlin securing his place in the rivalry’s history with a game winning goal and iconic celebration. 12.13.85 defeated 12.12.84 that day. It surely couldn’t happen again?

The Eagles and Swans did, once again, what only they could do. The moment one team got the ascendancy, their opponent countered. If someone built a lead, the margin was ripped back. An instant classic that has been watched and rewatched time and time again by Eagles fans, the 2006 Grand Final will forever remain one of the defining moments in the club’s history. A team of superstars, a game of highlights, a number of iconic Anthony Hudson calls seared into the brain. However, this isn’t the story of those moments. This is the story of the five forgotten moments that shaped the 2006 Grand Final.

#1 – Seaby’s creativity

The situation:
Q1, 15:45 remaining. West Coast 0.0.0 trail Sydney 0.1.1

A fast-paced start saw Sydney narrowly ahead on the scoreboard, having been the more dangerous side in the opening stages. The Swans defence had easily rebounded out of back 50 twice already, helping their side to the far better chances of the encounter.

The moment: Hemmed in to the defensive side of wing, the Eagles concede territory back to David Wirrapanda. Wirra chips short to Darren Glass, whose mark is deemed not 15. A handball down the boundary sells Beau Waters into some trouble, so the Eagles’ hard man boots is long down the line, kicking for distance.

Mark Seaby is best placed of all Eagles, but faces a two on one in mid-air. He spies Daniel Chick in a dangerous position. If Seaby can halve this contest, the Eagles are well placed. The West Coast (and future Sydney) ruckman swings a fist at the ball, deliberately knocking it into the path of Chick. The star utility hits the pack at pace, snaps on his right boot and finds Ashley Hansen who takes his third chest mark of the opening five minutes. Hansen goals, and the Eagles land the first significant blow, setting the tone for an enthralling contest.

#2 – Wirra’s repeat efforts

The situation:
Q3, 14:14 remaining. West Coast 9.8.62 lead Sydney 6.6.42

Leading 53-24 late in the second, the Eagles were threatening to blow what was billed as an arm-wrestle into a demolition job. We should have known better. Sydney kicked a goal late in the second. Sydney kicked a goal early in the third. Andrew Embley responded, so Sydney kicked a goal again. The Grand Final was well and truly on and, despite trailing on the scoreboard, Sydney were definitely working their way to the top after half time. Worst of all, 2006 Brownlow Medallist, Adam Goodes, was beginning to put his stamp on the match after a quiet first half.

The moment: A hacked kick forward by Chad Fletcher was calmly rebounded by Nic Fosdike, who fired the ball up field where it was worked to a surging Adam Goodes. Goodes sent the ball dangerously inside attacking 50, where David Wirrapanda was engaged in a true one-on-one with Nick Davis. Giving away 11cm to an opponent who’d kicked a goal just one-minute prior, Wirra did enough to bring the ball to ground, before following up with an important tackle and, later, a bump on the grounded Davis. Sydney came up with the football and sent it high towards the goal square, where Ryan O’Keefe found himself in far too much space in the front and square position. Wirra closed O’Keefe down, getting a crucial smother on an otherwise clean look at goal. The defensive cavalry arrived, and the Eagles could reset.

While there was plenty of time left, every goalscoring opportunity is vital in a one-point game. Wirra’s repeat efforts in this play embodied the attitude of the entire backline throughout the Grand Final, and stand out amongst some more prominent and frequently lauded defensive highlights.

#3 – Armstrong takes his chance

The situation:
Q4, 7:33 remaining. West Coast 10.13.73 lead Sydney 10.12.72

Having once held a four-goal lead in the third quarter, the Eagles were suddenly met with the suffocating pressure of the Sydney Swans. Over 37 minutes of game time had elapsed since the Eagles last kicked a goal, while Sydney had closed the margin in stunning fashion. A 29-3 run in favour of the Swans had been punctuated by Adam Schneider’s roaring goal, and the margin was one solitary point. The Eagles were in dire need of a response.

The moment: Following Schneider’s goal, the Sydney forward found himself involved again, firing his side up field from the centre bounce. Daniel Kerr’s composure on the back flank, and his ensuing three bounce run through the corridor of the MCG, set up a much needed but largely aimless inside 50 for West Coast. Choosing to stay off the pack whilst Adam Hunter attacked a tumbling Sherrin in a two-on-one, Steven Armstrong gathered in space and, with the weight of nearly 40 minutes of goalless football on his back, kicked truly to break the Eagles’ drought.

Armstrong finished the day with just eight disposals but, when his moment came, the 22-year-old did not blink. While not as famous as the final West Coast goal of the game, this effort was pivotal in preventing the Swans from claiming a lead that all momentum indicated was inevitable. That #35 jumper and clutch goals in finals, hey?

#4 – The other Chick moment

The situation:
Q4, 3:25 remaining. West Coast 12.13.85 lead Sydney 12.12.84

With just minutes left to play in the Grand Final, Sydney have possession and are looking for any score. They decide on a weight of numbers approach, and begin a raid of long kicks forward.

The moment: Sydney receive a free kick in the backline and want to go long at all costs. Brett Kirk marks strongly on the wing, before playing on miles over his mark (typical COLA cheating) and handballing to Ted Richards in space. Richards is met by a corralling Daniel Chick, tired from his iconic heroics mere moments before, and sidesteps him with ease. Streaming down the wing, Richards takes a bounce and is set to launch a long ball inside 50. Unbeknownst to him, Daniel Chick is a rabid wolverine who will not be denied the tackle he so desperately craves, with the former Hawk chasing down the Swan in a Grand Final sprint that puts Cyril Rioli vs Lewis Jetta to shame.

Chick arrives at the exact right moment, tackling Richards just as he sets himself to kick inside 50, and forces the ball out on the full. What a let off with just minutes to play.

#5 – RoJo saves the day

The situation:
Q4, 0:39 remaining. West Coast 12.13.85 lead Sydney 12.12.84

There’s 0:39 seconds left in the Grand Final. It couldn’t be simpler. If Sydney score, the 2006 Grand Final has a 0% chance of finishing the way we all know and love.

The moment: Schneider, Armstrong, O’Keefe, Hunter. The Eagles and Swans have traded goals throughout the last quarter, having given everything else they had across the past two hours. The Eagles lead by a point, but a ball up on centre wing means this is still anyone’s game. Ben Cousins hits the pack hard, before running himself into trouble and eventually working the ball through Chad Fletcher to Daniel Kerr. Kerr, the best Eagle in the fourth quarter, chooses this very moment, the final minute of a one-point Grand Final, to kick the ball into open space in the dead centre of the ground. Coach killer.

The Premiership Cup is effectively sitting in the middle of the ground. If Sydney gather cleanly, there’s nothing but a miracle standing in between the Swans and back-to-back flags. At best, the Eagles might hope for a replay the following week.

Enter, Rowan Jones. Much maligned throughout his tenure with the Eagles, RoJo was never as flashy, athletic or skilled as his star-studded midfield counterparts. The 2006 Grand Final wasn’t really going his way either, with some poor disposals setting his teammates into trouble more than a few times. However, when it was his turn to go, he went. Jones bursts away from Ryan O’Keefe, and meets Leo Barry in the centre of the MCG. The body work and intent from Jones isn’t flashy, but it turns a two-on-three situation from potentially devastating into the game saving passage of play. Jones finds Quinten Lynch, the Eagles push the ball wide and, while Sydney go forward off an ensuing turnover, they’re kicking inside 50 from the boundary and not through the corridor. Their effort forward sprays wide, finding the boundary line.

I think you campaigners know what happened.

This passage of play does get some recognition from time to time, but is too often overlooked when compared to the goals, the marks in defence or the work of our superstars in the Grand Final. It’s every bit as vital as “Chick, Hunter,” just without a soundbite. Let it never be forgotten.

There you go, some moments I think deserve to enjoy the spotlight when we reminisce about an absolute classic match. Rewatching it was a pleasure (god that midfield was unbelievable), and it was interesting viewing trying to find some under the radar passages.

Keys, you're up.

Last edited:
Love it HoneyBadger35

On a side note for the 2006 GF, I've always wondered if this dude was a poster here

mMAFNtU.gif
CcS10wE.gif

Surrounded by Swans fans, looks like he went through a lot that day.

I absolutely lost it when that first clip played in the broadcast, was such a needless * you to the people around him.

Up there with this legend from last year’s prelim:
cfbb9893c28cb24dbba963e0284ab7d6.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back