West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible situation. Coming from an Essendon perspective I know terrible when I see it. If it’s good enough for n.melb to throw out the begging bowl it’s good enough for The Eages, just a shitful situation. Worried they won’t win a game.
why should they be rewarded for paying millions to Kelly, Darling and Gaff? it just encourages other clubs to be irresponsible. PPs wont change attitudes.

So the richest , most powerful club in the land (just ask their supporters) who don’t rebuild, don’t miss finals for more than 3 years, don’t accept mediocrity ,always pay their own way and are never down for long(again their supporters will tell you) now, after absolutely butchering their list management courtesy of supposedly the most ruthless/profesional off field team(again supporters will tell you) should now happily put their beggars cap 🧢 out for AFL welfare??
All cos of north and having won a flag only 6 years ago??

Wow just wow

So the richest , most powerful club in the land (just ask their supporters) who don’t rebuild, don’t miss finals for more than 3 years, don’t accept mediocrity ,always pay their own way and are never down for long(again their supporters will tell you) now, after absolutely butchering their list management courtesy of supposedly the most ruthless/profesional off field team(again supporters will tell you) should now happily put their beggars cap 🧢 out for AFL welfare??
All cos of north and having won a flag only 6 years ago??

Wow just wow

Look I get, you hate WC and I would be saying the same if it was Freo.

But luckily the adults will work it out because WC are so far below mediocre it’s not funny.

So it’s PP’s or Freo surrender its right to play WC twice a season, because it’s clearly an unfair advantage to the detriment of a professional sporting comp.

It seems astonishing that a team as bad as West Coast last year did so little in the off-season.

They added one pick inside the top 30 (Reid). They added a backup ruck via FA, and traded for Kent Brockman from Hawthorn. They had 3 retirements and delisted 4 fairly inconsequential players (3 late picks and a castoff from another club).

Did they make some tough list calls to get extra draft capital, a la North with Ben McKay? Nope
Did they try to get creative with some trades, maybe get a few extra picks in the 20s for some added youth? Nope. In fact their only move with draft picks was to give away a future 3rd rounder to move up from pick 40 to 38.
Did they pension off some older guys, or trade senior players who had currency? Nope

The basically rolled back the same list as last year, bringing in Harley Reid (who may not want to stay) and nothing else. How on earth did they think that would play out?

At least other teams tried something. North already had draft capital from the Horne-Francis trade, and more on the way from their hand-outs but they:
  • let Ben McKAy and Todd Goldstein walk as free agents, adding a first-round pick
  • Brought in Toby Pink, Bigoa Nyuon, Zac Fisher and Dylan Stephens via trade
  • Made 4 trades that shuffled around draft picks
  • Cut their list hard - 4 retirements (including a couple who were maybe a touch early) plus 6x delistings + 2x FA departures. A couple of the cuts look tough too - Kayne Turner, a couple of other guys drafter in 2020 and 2021...
  • Ended up making 5 picks in the top 25 of the draft (remember - they got pick 22 as compensation, so they had to work to get the rest).

Will North's strategy work? Who knows? At least it feels like they had a crack and are offering their fans (and coach Clarko) something new to try rather than rolling out the same thing but a year older again...

Should they get priority picks? Absolutely not. They won the premiership 5 years ago FFS! Carlton in 2018 won 2 games for the year, hadn't finished top 4 in nearly two decades, and had won their 2nd wooden spoon in 4 years, had its captain and its star CHF both suffer back-to-back season ending knee injuries, and the only compensation offered was priority draft rights to state league players.

West Coast need to ride this out, like other teams have done. Reid looks amazing, Ginbey is good, Allen is a building block. They should have done more to add to this, looking at moving on guys like Liam Ryan, Tim Kelly, even WAternman/Petrucelle/Williams just to add draft material. They're lucky to be doing this in the time period prior to Tassie entering, too - they'll get theirs now, and whoever drops next will find it much harder. But it looks a tough road ahead...

why should they be rewarded for paying millions to Kelly, Darling and Gaff? it just encourages other clubs to be irresponsible. PPs wont change attitudes.

I don't think you can argue this whilst the AFL enforce a minimum TPP. Money has to go to someone.

Get rid of the salary cap floor and clubs will be able to rebuild quicker without concessions.

O'Brien retired, but other than that, has anyone been fired or replaced for putting them in a position where they need help from the AFL?

North replaced everyone, from top to bottom, for putting the club in that position. It's not the people who screwed up North's list who were asking for help.

Look I get, you hate WC and I would be saying the same if it was Freo.

But luckily the adults will work it out because WC are so far below mediocre it’s not funny.

So it’s PP’s or Freo surrender its right to play WC twice a season, because it’s clearly an unfair advantage to the detriment of a professional sporting comp.
Nope

It’s neither

Remember you and your supporter base have basically said since 1995 that all that matters are premierships.

So nothing you can do or say or hope (the adults will work it out lol) because it’s been only 6 years since you last won one .

So sit back , relax and enjoy riding out the long ,hard ,demoralising joys of a rebuild from ground zero.

O'Brien retired, but other than that, has anyone been fired or replaced for putting them in a position where they need help from the AFL?

North replaced everyone, from top to bottom, for putting the club in that position. It's not the people who screwed up North's list who were asking for help.

We got a new CEO a new list manager new head of sport science new weights man two new assistant coaches new wafl coach and new development coach basically replaced everyone except head coach

Afl should force Simpson be fired for them to give them anything. It's crazy that a head coach of a sporting team can produce 2 years of the worst performance in club history and still have their job
I’m baffled by this as well. Surely it’s indisputable that he allowed a massive drop off in training and preparation standards from senior players under his watch. Every time he fronts the media he puts on this exasperated ‘whoa is us’ facade and spurts out excuse after excuse, yet the local media don’t dare challenge anything that comes out of the club.

Was anybody actually surprised that West Coast were decimated by covid worse than any other team? While Simpson was publicly complaining about their terrible misfortune his players were hitting the Hip-E club after a 100 point flogging. Just a terribly run organisation in recent years, which is sad because they’ve always been a powerhouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes it's depressing, yes it looks hopeless for the short term (and maybe medium even kind of long term), but it's AFL not EPL, teams don't languish at the bottom forever or get relegated (though one was relocated and two merged), most get their day. We've been blessed with 4 premierships in my 38 years (like the Eagles I was formed in 1986), never having to wait more than 12 years between flags, more than most. Even if we don't lift the cup for the rest of my life I'll have enjoyed the ride... Still don't want to rest on our laurels, and I agree we've been super poorly run which is frustrating.

I guess I'm able to just appreciate any progress, and invest a bit in other sides I like doing well. I'm all behind GWS this year, hope they win it. I won't begrudge even Freo doing well either.

Yes it's depressing, yes it looks hopeless for the short term (and maybe medium even kind of long term), but it's AFL not EPL, teams don't languish at the bottom forever or get relegated (though one was relocated and two merged), most get their day. We've been blessed with 4 premierships in my 38 years (like the Eagles I was formed in 1986), never having to wait more than 12 years between flags, more than most. Even if we don't lift the cup for the rest of my life I'll have enjoyed the ride... Still don't want to rest on our laurels, and I agree we've been super poorly run which is frustrating.

I guess I'm able to just appreciate any progress, and invest a bit in other sides I like doing well. I'm all behind GWS this year, hope they win it. I won't begrudge even Freo doing well either.
Agree with those sentiments so long as supporters can see a clear plan and pathway, even if it takes years.

Do you see that plan taking shape at WCE?

No, we would've probably taken that in a heartbeat.

North Melbourne's best offer, as far as we know, were 2/3 and 2 of the teens picks.

Hawks offered 4 and this year's first.

Melbourne offered 6, 11(?) and another teens pick.

None of them were worth any serious consideration, especially considering the best available players at those picks.

Nobody wanted our first this year for their first later in the 8. Apparently we were actually most interested in Caddy to pair up with Reid(mates), failing that Curtin.

Crazy GWS/Adelaide wanted the likely pick 1 in this draft for pick 7/8.
4 and hawks first this year (probably 1 or 2) would have been more than fair but we weren’t expected to basically * up as badly as we have so far.

Agree with those sentiments so long as supporters can see a clear plan and pathway, even if it takes years.

Do you see that plan taking shape at WCE?
I agree with others here we've made a lot of bad decisions. We tried to push for another after 2018 which is understandable but should've prepared more for what came after. But we had some terrible luck from 2019 on. There are some good signs, and promising young players. Even if we finish last if we can get a percentage of 65-70 that'll be an improvement.

Nope

It’s neither

Remember you and your supporter base have basically said since 1995 that all that matters are premierships.

So nothing you can do or say or hope (the adults will work it out lol) because it’s been only 6 years since you last won one .

So sit back , relax and enjoy riding out the long ,hard ,demoralising joys of a rebuild from ground zero.
WC will still win another flag before FFC...so sit back,relax and enjoy riding out the long,hard,demoralising joys of supporting an irrelevant club.

I agree with others here we've made a lot of bad decisions. We tried to push for another after 2018 which is understandable but should've prepared more for what came after. But we had some terrible luck from 2019 on. There are some good signs, and promising young players. Even if we finish last if we can get a percentage of 65-70 that'll be an improvement.
Only 5% off 4th spot in 2019.

Right in the hunt to defend the crown.

Chips in on Kelly the year after that.

Only 5% off 4th spot in 2019.

Right in the hunt to defend the crown.

Chips in on Kelly the year after that.
Yeah that late Hawthorn loss was inexplicable. I'd like to just even have a chance to go b2b. We always seem to drop off after winning a gf.

Cry me a river. Maybe after another few decades of being s**t they can get a look in. They won a flag 5.5 years ago FFS. Crowds will continue showing up which is all the AFL cares about and they can keep filling that late Sunday timeslot to keep the networks happy.

WC will still win another flag before FFC...so sit back,relax and enjoy riding out the long,hard,demoralising joys of supporting an irrelevant club.
Yeah Just like Carlton and Essendon supporters said about Richmond, Melbourne and the bulldogs back in the day too .

Reality is going to be very hard for you and your deluded breathren THAT MUCH I’m certain of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back