West Coast Eagles Priority Pick (2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

The players that came from north priority picks that are currently playing: Stephens from sydney, fisher from carlton, Logue (out till mid year) and tucker from freo.

North picked up some players that other clubs were happy to give up in exchange for decent picks, the clubs north traded with also benefited from all that so there was absolutely a positive flow on effect.

Every single young player who is driving norths future came from the draft or from a trade from losing players that were essential (jhf/mackay). I am not against priority picks but I don't think the model of gifting top five picks like some clubs used to get is fair to the rest of the comp.

End of first round picks/early second round picks that need to be traded or used immediately puts some responsibility on the club to make the most of them.

You got one for 'smoothing' over the Bowes contract.

Why couldn't GC to that, considering he wanted to stay?

You mean we proactively went out and organised that deal? That is also beside the point, you posted that only 3 top 10 picks in a decade was cause for assistance. That means some of the most successful clubs would also be in line.

As an Eagles supporter, I have zero desire to get draft compensation. Yes, we've made some drafting mistakes, but a huge part of our downfall has been injuries. Consequently, I'd prefer any compensation be in the form of additional allowances for fitness and conditioning and/or injury management. I think at some point, the AFL also needs to consider their plan for dealing with concussion-related retirements. We lost Dan Venables, a first-round draft pick, after only 21 games. And we kept him on our list for more than two years.

More than anything, though, I'd like to see whatever compensation the AFL offers to be standardised instead of handed out on a whim. North seemed to get kissed on the dick in return for their own incompetence, but if the rules were clear, transparent and the same for everyone, then there wouldn't be any arguments or recriminations.

Except the academy is not free.
When you see Northern academies using junk picks for top talent, it might as well be.

Tell you what, no PP for WCE and the Northern academies have to play by the same rules as everyone else this year. That way our first pick in the second round will be close to where it's supposed to be.

You mean we proactively went out and organised that deal? That is also beside the point, you posted that only 3 top 10 picks in a decade was cause for assistance. That means some of the most successful clubs would also be in line.
Explain to me why GC couldn't 'smooth' out the contract then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you see Northern academies using junk picks for top talent, it might as well be.

Tell you what, no PP for WCE and the Northern academies have to play by the same rules as everyone else this year. That way our first pick in the second round will be close to where it's supposed to be.

Except though are ignoring what actually happens.

Say Sydney are drafting a player who is expected to go pick 7 or something and Sydney have pick 10.

We can trade pick 10 for picks 21 and 23.

Then trade pick 21 for picks 32 and 34

And trade pick 23 for picks 35 and 39

So Sydney would use picks 32. 34, 35 and 39 for the bid, but we used pick 10 to get those picks.

Except though are ignoring what actually happens.

Say Sydney are drafting a player who is expected to go pick 7 or something and Sydney have pick 10.

We can trade pick 10 for picks 21 and 23.

Then trade pick 21 for picks 32 and 34

And trade pick 23 for picks 35 and 39

So Sydney would use picks 32. 34, 35 and 39 for the bid, but we used pick 10 to get those picks.
Or you could just bring junk picks forward to achieve the same result.

Do you think GC using one first rounders last year to bring in 4 is appropriate?

So a Cairns native, who wanted to stay at GC, wouldn't 'agree' to have his contract 'smoothed' by GC but had no issues Geelong doing the same for receiving pick 7, even though he didn't want to leave in the first place?

Ok...

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here, other than distract from your top 10 picks post which made no sense.

You can speculate all you like but you asked a question and you got an answer.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here, other than distract from your top 10 picks post which made no sense.

You can speculate all you like but you asked a question and you got an answer.
What do you mean makes no sense?

Last time WCE got the spoon, we ended up with pick 4 due to expansion clubs.

Our next top 10 pick was Ginbey.

People keep saying 'Should've split pick 1', which is dumb-level analysis because the offers weren't good enough to supercede taking Reid and wouldn't have addressed the core issues(contested mids) in the side.

The previous 2 drafts, we split our first rounder.

North refused to do any of that, abysmally managed their rebuild/coaching appointments and went cap in hand to the AFL for 3 years running, the last of which coincided with a former North employee deciding on the assistance package, which is a massive conflict of interest.

WCE, on the other hand, get 1 pick inside 30, due to the ridiculous amount of academy picks/compo picks prior to them getting to choose.

So the simple fact is, unless you beg for assistance from the AFL, you won't be able to rebuild properly due to the amount of academy players going in the first round not being available to all clubs, as well as having your second rounder pushed back.

Thread title is incorrect

WC hasn't actually asked for any picks, a journo has written an article saying they should ask

But if we're an historically bad team with no hope in the near future as a lot of commentators continually remind us, it's hard to also argue we don't deserve some sort of compo given what happened last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back