AFLW West Coast Eagles Women's Team - Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit I thought the comp would be a fleeting flavour of the month thing and die away quickly.

I was wrong. Part of having no interest for me is not having our own team in it.

The 2 x recruits seem fantastic and driven.

For those that watch the game, how have you found the comp, skill levels, the spectacle of it etc???

Cheers

Can confirm this.

My girls are have been invited and now allowed to train with West Perth and I have seen with my own eyes what is happening.

Amazing work going in to try and avoid this, but gee it is really worrying.

Do they think that the extra conditioning the girls are getting by coming up through a consistent system will help reduce the risk of ACL injuries?

Massive worry how many seem to be going down with them considering the game is only going to get faster and harder as the players become more professional.

Ive heard Port and Richmond and StKilda?

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Port aren't in as they were more interested in China. Sydney do not have the space or facilities until their new base is built. Essendon and Hawthorn didn't apply originally, so got dropped below those that did in the queue.
Essendon and Hawks will be next. Sydney and Port will be last, which is bad for the comp as it leaves the Crows as a super team.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

I must admit I thought the comp would be a fleeting flavour of the month thing and die away quickly.

I was wrong. Part of having no interest for me is not having our own team in it.

The 2 x recruits seem fantastic and driven.

For those that watch the game, how have you found the comp, skill levels, the spectacle of it etc???

Cheers
What affects the comp most imop is the disparity of skills.

It's a bit like getting a bunch of WAFL players, a bunch of decent country footballers, and a bunch of amateurs of various levels, mixing them up, then making some teams and a comp.

The good is pretty good, but the bad is pretty bad.

It's actually something I like, it gives the game a texture and feel that is different.

I heard a South Australian footballing luminary who saw Phillips as a 14 year old say she was the best 14 year old footballer he has ever seen.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Do they think that the extra conditioning the girls are getting by coming up through a consistent system will help reduce the risk of ACL injuries?
I can only hope buddy but I’m not a professional by any stretch.

Like I said I’m pretty concerned but at the very least they are aware of this issue.

This season has seen actual footballers come through and make an impact.

I’m pretty excited for the next few seasons, there is some genuine talent about.

I can only hope buddy but I’m not a professional by any stretch.

Like I said I’m pretty concerned but at the very least they are aware of this issue.

Hopefully they figure out a way to condition them, whether through training or technique, to ensure it's not something that becomes a deterrent for potential players.

Not sure if it was posted here but there was a story I read recently that women are something like 4-5 times more likely to do their acl playing sport than men, but 9.2 times more likely playing AFL.
I'll see if I can find the article

Sellers mentioned on the Coast to Coast podcast that our W team gets access to 8 Fremantle players and 4 interstate club players.

Now, I'm all for cleaning out the Dockers list and sending them back to mediocrity, but that doesn't seem particularly fair.
There isnt a fair way to do it realistically. There is little interstate movement of players in comparison to the mens, and it has been a 1 team state. The burden was always going to fall mostly on Freo, and the same thing will happen in Qld. For them, the upside is it only happens once. Vic teams are not as hard hit, but they got hit last year, this year, and will get hit again in a year or 2.

Sellers mentioned on the Coast to Coast podcast that our W team gets access to 8 Fremantle players and 4 interstate club players.

Now, I'm all for cleaning out the Dockers list and sending them back to mediocrity, but that doesn't seem particularly fair.

A few on that list I'd take

Duffy
Sharp
Bowers
Antonio

Off the top
It begins. Chelsea Randall weighing up staying at the Crows, or heading home to the Eagles. No other option being considered.

https://womens.afl/news/17747/crows...Q_AVzIsemCIzAda2Rf4az12RwxB71Vygo7xdxGWEgKMzo

Excellent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It begins. Chelsea Randall weighing up staying at the Crows, or heading home to the Eagles. No other option being considered.

https://womens.afl/news/17747/crows...Q_AVzIsemCIzAda2Rf4az12RwxB71Vygo7xdxGWEgKMzo

Just read this, she is a gun and tough as nails. I reckon the Eagles-W will dominate and do it quickly. The club is just so professional.

We need a catchier name for our women's side. Perhaps we should try and take ownership of the horrendous 'W-eagles'. I mean it works pretty well and then others can't use it because it will sound like they're being derogatory to women's footy and they'll get pummeled on social media. Win/Win.

Chelsea/Kelly for 2020. Make it happen Rawlings.

Just read this, she is a gun and tough as nails. I reckon the Eagles-W will dominate and do it quickly. The club is just so professional.

We need a catchier name for our women's side. Perhaps we should try and take ownership of the horrendous 'W-eagles'. I mean it works pretty well and then others can't use it because it will sound like they're being derogatory to women's footy and they'll get pummeled on social media. Win/Win.

Chelsea/Kelly for 2020. Make it happen Rawlings.

Might as well call them the E-Girls seeings as we’ve had our men’s team called that for years by those who wish to disparage our success. :D:p

Not sure if it was posted here but there was a story I read recently that women are something like 4-5 times more likely to do their acl playing sport than men, but 9.2 times more likely playing AFL.

Without going into too much detail, it’s to do with the way women are put together structurally. Apparently, because their hips are pointed outwards to make child birth possible/easier, it puts added pressure on their knees.
I work with an S&C coach who is at the forefront of research trying to find ways of reducing the incidences of ACL injuries to women athletes, but even with all the extra strength training and prevention activities they do, it can still happen at any moment unfortunately.

My hubby is having problems with his shoulder at the moment and his physiotherapist told him exactly that, expect to see far more knee injuries in women and he’s seeing it already just in local girls footy here.

Womens footy radio interviewed the Eagles, and it was raised that Courtney Ugle (who moved to Melbourne to join Essendons VFLW side) had come back to train with the Eagles academy. Also another Victorian Hayley Bullas also came over.

A few from Victoria can make all the difference.

They also need to get Ugle. Probably only a fringe player at best, but a heart and soul of the club type of person. The sort of person you need when building a team from the base.

Eagles academy had a couple of Melbourne girls come over and train with them but not all could stay for the full duration of the program. Eagles Women's Academy program wraps up next week I believe, and then all the girls will go back to their normal clubs to train for the rest of the season and hope WCE or another AFLW club picks them up in next years draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back