West Coast game

Remove this Banner Ad

News on West Coast injuries.

Gardiner likely to miss with a hammy.
McIntosh and Travis Gaspar are also in doubt.
Phil Matera will be back from suspension.
Wirrupunda will be back after caring for his sick mum last week.

Jako's shoulders are giving him some problems too, although he might be alright cause he played out the match. But the more out the better as every little bit counts!

Originally posted by Dingster

If we play Choppy with instructions to be at the fall of the ball in the hot spot, I really believe we will see a much improved forward line. Also the midfield and defence wouldn't be under so much pressure.

Fat chance of pickett being at the fall of the ball....hasn't done it all year why do you think that's going to magically change? put him back in the backline or leave him in the midfield and let him run his fat little legs off

Originally posted by NeoBlaze

Fat chance of pickett being at the fall of the ball....hasn't done it all year why do you think that's going to magically change? put him back in the backline or leave him in the midfield and let him run his fat little legs off

The reason that he was moved to the forward line was that he was too loose and being exposed by the opposition. Last year and early this year he performed well and added something. He certainly didn't look slow against the Doggies!

Sometimes there is a reason for looking lazy and not trying. Last year Harro looked like a world beater early in the season and fell away towards the end. However, we didn't know that he had an injury that affected his performance. Given Choppy's performance, who's to say he wasn't carrying an injury? If that's the case, whether he should have played or not, Choppy won't loose his ability overnight.

If anyone has any doubts, pull out the vid of the corresponding game last year. ;) :D :D

Injury news from WC if you like...

Kerr got a knock to the face and a nasty welt but will be fine for the Roos game.

Jako should be right for the game too, he ran out the Port game, if it was serious he would not have done so.

Phillip Matera is back from suspension.

Wirrpunda should be back from caring for his mum.

Gardiner is said to be less than a 50% chance to play :( WC arent ruling him out though this early in the week.

Gaspar and McIntosh will have fitness tests late in the week to be either in or out.

Cheers.

Jod, I was chatting to another WC supporter earlier in the week, and between us we struggled to suggest any match-ups because of a lack of proven talls for WC.

Wilson at FF has played well, and I'd say Archer would be his best opponent because of his strength, but when it came to CHF the names Gaspar and Embley were bandied about with not much confidence. I think if Gardiner misses, it robs you more of a CHF option than a ruckman, because WC have other players who can fill in at the bounce.

McCartney or Colbert would have his hands full with Gardiner at CHF. There doesn't seem to be much more tall timber for WC around the ground - if the conditions are good and we can get our target kicking sorted out, I think this is where we'd be seeking to take advantage.

Gaspar has played very well at CHF this year actually, making life hard each weekend for whoever was CHB. If he and gardiner misses then it will probably see Tuckey and Seirakowski back in the tea.
I'm not going to say Seira will be a champ this weekend, he hasn't played a game of AFL footy for over a year, so we can't expect anything special from him, but Tuckey showed he can play well in the Ansett cup, and i think the first couple of rounds of the season before being injured.

Usually We would play something like this

Wilson
Gaspar and Gardiner, changing
Think Kerr playes centre
Jakovich
McIntosh/Glass
Ruck - Gardiner Cox
If Gards Gaspar and say McIntosh don't pull up it will hurt our chances, as the replacements aren't as good, but still have a good chance as they can play. I am pretty sure Jako will play/

Wilson
Tuckey/Seirakowski
Kerr
Jackovich
Glass
Ruck - Cox/Seira/Tuckey

If Jako doesn't play, I guess Seirakowski would go to CHB.

I agree with EKA, either Tuckey or Sierakowski will come into the side this week if Gaspar misses out (highly likely at this stage). Tuckey has been playing good footy for East Perth and Sierakowski has looked damaging at times, getting his confidence and match fitness back.

Bring on Sierakowski and Tuckey, I say!

Never rated Sierakowski at all, even through his St.Kilda days... Tuckey is a dodgy kick, isn't overly strong, and is as slow as a glacier so if that's your best bet at CHF you'd be in trouble.

The only way I see either having an impact is if a poor match-up is chosen... ie. if Archer plays on Sierakowski and gives away 5 inches in height, or if someone too small (eg. Teague, D.Motlop) plays on Tuckey.

Wonder if Colbert will get votes from the punters if he holds Tuckey to 5 touches (3 above his average). :D

In his last couple of matches at Subi, Travis Gaspar has been fantastic at CHF. Belted both Croft & Leppitsch.

But even if he doesn't play, we can still win without someone playing copybook CHF (I don't think either Siera or Tuckey should be brought in). It just means we'll run the ball through the middle more and funnel the ball into Willow.

Besides, who exactly will play CHF for the Roo's?
Digby Morrell? Jason McCartney?
Not names that'll keep Jako awake at night.

The biggest danger I see for the Eagles is Byron Pickett (who I reckon will play forward). He killed us last year, and our small defenders are very, very average.

I reckon Brent Harvey is a little gun as well. He needs to be tagged, and I'm not sure who'll get the job. Preferably I'd like Fetcher brought into the side for the job.

The match-up of Willow & Archer would be a corker.
Hope it happens.

Originally posted by Darky
Jod, I was chatting to another WC supporter earlier in the week, and between us we struggled to suggest any match-ups because of a lack of proven talls for WC.

Wilson at FF has played well, and I'd say Archer would be his best opponent because of his strength, but when it came to CHF the names Gaspar and Embley were bandied about with not much confidence. I think if Gardiner misses, it robs you more of a CHF option than a ruckman, because WC have other players who can fill in at the bounce.

McCartney or Colbert would have his hands full with Gardiner at CHF. There doesn't seem to be much more tall timber for WC around the ground - if the conditions are good and we can get our target kicking sorted out, I think this is where we'd be seeking to take advantage.

Must agree with the other Coasters who have found there way here. Seira and Tuckey are our best options. Be wary of Embly though, he can be electric when he's on. Hasnt been on for weeks so he is overdue. We could stick him at CHF, he's very quick and if he gets into the game early he will ride his confidence.

McIntosh and Gaspar are still 50/50. So im hoping they both pull up for the game but if they dont i do agree we will be stretched in the talls department. But a raise the issue of our midfield. A lot of our goals have been kicked from our midfield this season rather than our tall forwards. Cousins and Judd have kicked 8 each, Chambers i think 6, Wirrpunda 6 aswell. Usually if Wilson kicks 4 or 5 and our midfield do there bit we kick enough to win.

We could flip the coin though and look at your options at CHF? Who will play there, Watt, Morrell...will you bring McCartney forward. Not really guys that Jakovich will have trouble with. And if McIntosh pulls up then Milli will take Sav leaving Glass to switch to your third tall.

Game could rely on Pickett and Phillip Matera though. I have heard that the Roos might play Pickett on Matera? If Pickett goes forward we could have trouble with him but then again were hoping Matera can cause your lot trouble. Good to have Fido back after two weeks of suspension, another avenue to goal.

Anyway should be a great match, cant wait til Saturday.

Fido's got the flu at the moment so it will be interesting to see how he comes up for the game.

don't forget we have still got Haynes if we need him and also Hunter who I really want to see play in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by jod23
Must agree with the other Coasters who have found there way here. Seira and Tuckey are our best options. Be wary of Embly though, he can be electric when he's on. Hasnt been on for weeks so he is overdue. We could stick him at CHF, he's very quick and if he gets into the game early he will ride his confidence.

I really rate Embley, but as a flanker or potential midfielder... too small to play CHF, but he would possibly prove hard to match up on as McCartney would punch away anything in the air, but be too slow on the ground. Baird on Embley perhaps, but Baird isn't that strong overhead.

We could flip the coin though and look at your options at CHF? Who will play there, Watt, Morrell...will you bring McCartney forward. Not really guys that Jakovich will have trouble with. And if McIntosh pulls up then Milli will take Sav leaving Glass to switch to your third tall.

Jakovich could take either of Morrell or Rocca, depending on who Pagan decides to play further out. Many people here like the way Rocca played last year, as a flanker who kicked the bulk of his goals from 45-60 metres out. Jakovich would slaughter Watt in the air, but the emphasis would be on Watt to run away from Jakovich, the same way Carey did in the contests after Jakovich returned from his bung knee.

Game could rely on Pickett and Phillip Matera though. I have heard that the Roos might play Pickett on Matera? If Pickett goes forward we could have trouble with him but then again were hoping Matera can cause your lot trouble. Good to have Fido back after two weeks of suspension, another avenue to goal.

Pickett is too loose in defence, and I'd expect Makepeace to get the job of minding Phil Matera. Makepeace is a disciplined player with good footy smarts, who can be shown up for pace occasionally, but still manages to do a good job on quicker small forwards. Matera, much like Burns, Farmer, Milne, etc. will probably kick two goals regardless of if he's had 10 kicks or 2 kicks... hard to judge what a satisfactory defensive performance is, statistically.

Peter Matera had the job on Pickett last time the two sides met, and Pickett absolutely caned him. Any chance Worsfold might give Roo a chance to redeem himself, and assign him Pickett again?

Peter Matera had the job on Pickett last time the two sides met, and Pickett absolutely caned him. Any chance Worsfold might give Roo a chance to redeem himself, and assign him Pickett again?

Pleeeeeaaaaaaaase :D

Pickett is too loose in defence, and I'd expect Makepeace to get the job of minding Phil Matera. Makepeace is a disciplined player with good footy smarts, who can be shown up for pace occasionally, but still manages to do a good job on quicker small forwards. Matera, much like Burns, Farmer, Milne, etc. will probably kick two goals regardless of if he's had 10 kicks or 2 kicks... hard to judge what a satisfactory defensive performance is, statistically.

I think if Pickett is played up forward then Matera may go to him, Matera will remember what happened last season and would probably like to redeem himself. Matera has been in good form too. But Matera has been great through the midfield so we might not want to drag him into defence. Doubt Wirrpunda will take him, he is too loose....maybe Collica or Wooden? Pickett is the dangerman, we have had trouble with small forwards all year so we really need to win this matchup.

Jod, Pickett has been out of touch the past few weeks. That's why I'd be happy if you put Matera on him. It's one of those match ups that I could see igniting Choppy.

Our small forwards haven't been getting anywhere near the fall of the ball. If the attitude is like the early rounds and they work hard to get to the contest, I think that we can upset you guys. If not, then you can pretty much bring it out of defence as you like and control play.

trouble with small quick forwards.... enter picket, harding, motlop.

i'm abit worried about who will get wilson though... as he seems to be inform and kicking goles. i know that everyone here has listed archer to get him but the size and weight difference is really significant.
archer has played on players bigger than himself in the past but that was because he was atleast as strong body to body. wilson seems just as strong to me. i wonder if watt or mccartney will get a go at him, if the archer matchup doesn't work. or maybe even playing arch in the forward line this week... with the talls to be covered in the backline by mccartney, baird, colbert and watt and porter floating back when needed.

Wooden should get Pickett.. Did a fantastic job on acka a few weeks ago, played excellent accountable football, and ackermanis and pickett both have that same quicksilver quality

Remove this Banner Ad

Back