West Coast - where to now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
5th-8th for how long? Kennedy is 31 next year, is the spine still the best in the comp as he ages?
Is still 30 for most of the season and his goal average has been trending up every year for the best part of a decade. Will be good for at least 60 goals a year for at least another 3 years, assuming the unthinkable doesn't happen but aside from an injury this year, he's played at least 20 games in 6 of the 7 years previous.

Is still 30 for most of the season and his goal average has been trending up every year for the best part of a decade. Will be good for at least 60 goals a year for at least another 3 years, assuming the unthinkable doesn't happen but aside from an injury this year, he's played at least 20 games in 6 of the 7 years previous.
How many forwards are kicking 60 goals per year at 33?

Hardly. You mentioned two stats for the Dogs and one player for the Tigers.

You asked for the metrics, I gave them. What are your metrics?

The Tigers won the flag because they had a top-notch defence and a gameplan that clicked and had complete buy-in. The midfield wasn't necessarily top-drawer, although I guess it depends how you define "elite".
What are the metrics for 'top-notch defence'? What are the metric for 'clicked gameplan' or 'complete buy-in'?

How many forwards are kicking 60 goals per year at 33?
No idea mate, why don't you fill me in? How many players increase their goal average every single year up til the age of 30? How many players are capable of 80+ goal seasons in this era? If anyone is capable, Kennedy is.

You asked for the metrics, I gave them. What are your metrics?
What was your metric for the Tigers? The existence of Dustin Martin?

What are the metrics for 'top-notch defence'? What are the metric for 'clicked gameplan' or 'complete buy-in'?
They're not metrics. They're assertions that offer a better explanation for the Tigers winning the flag than yours.

Well, I think it takes more than one fantastic player for a midfield to be deemed "elite".

Did the Suns have an elite midfield when Ablett won the Brownlow in 2013?

What is buy in? How is it more complete than say West Coast’s?
WC are probably a bad example as they were shockingly flaky at times. So yes, I'd say Richmond had more complete buy-in. In football parlance, that means a total commitment to executing the gameplan and doing the non-negotiables that make it work - in Richmond's case, creating that intense pressure around the ball all over the ground. WC did that far less effectively than Richmond.

After a stellar 2015 season, they were undoubtedly the form side of the comp in second half of 2016. After that totally bizarre loss to Bulldogs in the finals, who the * knows when their next chance will come. Won't be for a few years.

No idea mate, why don't you fill me in? How many players increase their goal average every single year up til the age of 30? How many players are capable of 80+ goal seasons in this era? If anyone is capable, Kennedy is.
Your midfield has gone from old and slow to non-existent. Who is going to get the ball to Kennedy? Ah Chee?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your midfield has gone from old and slow to non-existent. Who is going to get the ball to Kennedy? Ah Chee?
So Priddis retiring makes our midfield nonexistant? Look I know Freo supporters seem to think that having one good midfielder, i.e.Fyfe, makes a midfield but you need to be more balanced than that.

So Priddis retiring makes our midfield nonexistant? Look I know Freo supporters seem to think that having one good midfielder, i.e.Fyfe, makes a midfield but you need to be more balanced than that.
Try Blakely, Neale, Hill x 2, Mundy, Walters
Bennell etc.. what’s your point. You’re not seriously suggesting your mids are better?!

Try Blakely, Neale, Hill x 2, Mundy, Walters
Bennell etc.. what’s your point. You’re not seriously suggesting your mids are better?!
Blakely's a HBF that can't kick, Mundy and Neale are quality. Hill brothers are your version of Gaff although luckily you got 2 and Walters is a forward. They go alright but your ladder positions suggests that they're not exactly a dynamo mix.

Maybe not, but Shuey is class, Yeo has been sublime at times but needs to do it consistently, Redden is solid, Sheed and Duggan have plenty of potential. The key is, of course, NN; the midfield was no better in 2015 and it made a grand final.
According to AFL website, this is our best 22:

B: Brad Sheppard, Tom Barrass, Jackson Nelson
HB: Liam Duggan, Jeremy McGovern, Shannon Hurn
C: Lewis Jetta, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff
HF: Mark LeCras, Jack Darling, Jack Redden
F: Willie Rioli, Josh Kennedy, Jamie Cripps
R: Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed
INT: Nathan Vardy, Brendon Ah Chee, Daniel Venables, Mark Hutchings

Really need Rioli, Venables and Ah Chee to bring something to the table.

How can two players that have not even played an AFL game yet be in your best 22?

Anyway I expect the eagles will grab a lot of mids with all those picks in the 20s and 30s including mature agers from WAFL and hope for the best.

What will kill West Coast is the extra 8 metres on the wings at the new stadium.

It's why they struggle at the G - Simpson has them set up down the middle, shift the middle and watch them fall out of place.

Unless Simpson can tinker his defensive set ups, they will be scored against heavily - spread from the contest is still a massive issue.

What will kill West Coast is the extra 8 metres on the wings at the new stadium.

It's why they struggle at the G - Simpson has them set up down the middle, shift the middle and watch them fall out of place.

Unless Simpson can tinker his defensive set ups, they will be scored against heavily - spread from the contest is still a massive issue.
Or perhaps we can now build a game style to suit the G and play that style at least every second week?

Didn't seem to change after getting torn apart by the Hawks in 15 - why would he change now?
You don't change your whole game plan for two, maybe three games a year. They should have been able to adjust and the fact they didn't was a failure, but it makes sense to have s game plan that suits more than half of your games.

That best 22 looks reasonable but it probably won't be the 22 in round 1. There's some assumptions there about players stepping up. Also, Redden is far more likely to play in the middle than Yeo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back