Opinion What clash jumper do you want the Lions to run out in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Any chance it is a departure from the white clash guernsey and something like this:

images

It's very similar and based on a variation. Of the above. It is "Bears inspired" so the primary yolk is yellow/maroon.

Cheers

It's very similar and based on a variation. Of the above. It is "Bears inspired" so the primary yolk is yellow/maroon.

Cheers
Fantastic news!!!! It was just last night that I was watching the Round 8 clash against the Bombers at the Gabba back in 2014 when we wore this strip:

489094337.jpg

And I thought to myself that would be a brilliant clash strip if they replaced the Bears monogram and put the Lion in it's place using the same colour as the monogram(The maroon).

Hopefully the new design is similar to that.

Some clubs have a stand alone preseason design. What would your Lions preseason Guernsey look like?

The one that langers89 posted in the Guernsey thread is a thing of beauty

163716_b3308c84603a1a6f11d2ee1d57773e15.png
Yep this right here would be my ideal clash guernsey. Whether we wore white shorts or maroon shorts it wouldn't really bother me. I'd prefer maroon shorts but white would look fine because that guernsey is fantastic imo.

If we did get a clash guernsey akin to the one above we would have 3 guernsey's that represent the Brisbane Lions, Fitzroy Lions, and Brisbane Bears:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Yep this right here would be my ideal clash guernsey. Whether we wore white shorts or maroon shorts it wouldn't really bother me. I'd prefer maroon shorts but white would look fine because that guernsey is fantastic imo.

If we did get a clash guernsey akin to the one above we would have 3 guernsey's that represent the Brisbane Lions, Fitzroy Lions, and Brisbane Bears:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:
Maroon or yellow >>> white shorts. I still dont get the need to always wear white shorts in the AFL.

I posted this in another thread last week:

Given Adelaide didn't have to wear a "white" clash and wore this clash jumper against the Dogs:

AFC%20Clash%202016%20white%20shorts.png

and Richmond don't have to wear a white jumper and wear this:

View attachment 245099
...why then are the Lions not permitted to wear this instead of our "white" jumper for games when we don't wear our Fitzroy inspired red jumper?:

Double standards of the highest order, which is surprising given the AFL's track record.:drunk::huh:

Can anyone fill me in on something I am missing?

No reason IMO why we have to have a "white" clash jumper given Richmond and Essendon don't and Adelaide also have an alternate yellow jumper.

Some clubs have a stand alone preseason design. What would your Lions preseason Guernsey look like?
I actually like this idea, purely because I believe the right to wear our jumper should be earnt, not just given in a scratch match no-one cares about. IMO the NEAFL design should be different to the senior side as well.

Pre-season and NEAFL jumper IMO should be designed by fans then put up to a members vote.

AS for Normal season though
Home = threepeat jumper (no brainer)
Away (with no clash) = threepeat jumper
Away (when threepeat jumper clashes with home team) = Roys inspired
Away (when threepeat and roys jumper clashes with home team) = Bears inspired
Indigenous = threepeat jumper with Recognise logo above sponsor, Indigenous and TS flag above AFL logo
ANZAC = threepeat jumper with ANZAC logo and the 7th brigade thingy
No heritage jumper unless if before HoF event IMO

If we ever were to wear that jumper what opposition would we play it against?

If we ever were to wear that jumper what opposition would we play it against?
Definitely against Swans, Suns and Crows. It would depend if the club would want this jumper to be a genuine third choice, or worn in all games outside QLD and VIC though

That's an easy one
Home = Maroon
Away = White
Standard AFL guidelines.
I know it is Standard AFL guidelines, I just think they are completely stupid guidelines. I find it ridiculous that the AFL cannot figure out a proper clash uniform policy. Tradition for traditions sake. Especially when so many other teams already have white in their uniforms. In all of those yellow examples above the white adds nothing

I agree with Kiss Kiss on this.

Dark shorts home, white shorts away is the least important of the Team Uniform tradition, yet for some reason the AFL tend to stick with it, especially with Melbourne based sides. If a teams guernsey has white in it, then if it means avoiding a clash or avoiding a team wearing a non-traditional guernsey, then that team should wear white shorts regardless of playing home or away.

Geelong seems to be the only team providing some common sense. They will play in white shorts at home or away versus many teams, as to help avoid a clash - thumbs up to them. Yet teams that in reality have little 'home' ground advantage in Victoria (because of shared use of the G or Etihad), that have white in their design, will insist on the opposition wearing white shorts for a home game.

So Carlton per example should wear white shorts for home games, if it helps avoid a clash. As should North and Collingwood. I find it bizarre that we play in white shorts against those teams. It just not common sense. The AFL would prefer to make teams wear crappy alternative guernseys, just so the home team can wear dark shorts. Dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely against Swans, Suns and Crows. It would depend if the club would want this jumper to be a genuine third choice, or worn in all games outside QLD and VIC though

G'day, Brisbane Lions wear their clash Guernsey v the following opponents:
- Adelaide
- Gold Coast
- Sydney
- Footscray

Cheers

The one that langers89 posted in the Guernsey thread is a thing of beauty

163716_b3308c84603a1a6f11d2ee1d57773e15.png

This jumper as a clash jumper definitely makes sense.

As a couple of others have mentioned, any team with white in their guernsey should wear white shorts when playing teams that do not, irrespective of venue.

So if required to wear the above clash jumper against certain teams, Brisbane should be able to wear maroon shorts against Sydney and the Western Bulldogs and gold shorts against Melbourne, Gold Coast and Adelaide.

When wearing the red jumper in Melbourne, Brisbane should be able to wear royal blue shorts against Collingwood, North, St Kilda, Carlton and Geelong, (while they wear white shorts). Only against Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond should they wear lighter coloured shorts. And even then they could be gold.

Last edited:
G'day, Brisbane Lions wear their clash Guernsey v the following opponents:
- Adelaide
- Gold Coast
- Sydney
- Footscray

Cheers
Will we wear the home jumper if we play GWS away next year?

Didn't like seeing the clash jumper last year against them when the jumpers didn't clash

Orange and bright red would be a major clash... maroon and orange would contrast nicely
Not allowed to wear your Home jumper away from home unless you're hosting a GF.
This is how the Clash Guernsey was born. Therefore you have to wear your away jumper and if that clashes then you have to wear your clash.

Cheers.

Not allowed to wear your Home jumper away from home unless you're hosting a GF.
This is how the Clash Guernsey was born. Therefore you have to wear your away jumper and if that clashes then you have to wear your clash.

Cheers.
Not true at all. Unless if its got something to do with vero/camperdown sponsorship

Not sure it is a "rule". I think its related to whether or not there is a slight clash with home jumper. Per example, Swans wore "home" against Richmond at the G last Saturday night. Cats wore "home" against Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval. If it was a rule then those two are suddenly an anomaly from the rule aren't they?

I think those with an away jumper that is very similar in style to their home, but definitely avoids any trace of a clash, are told to wear their away. So per example, North wore their predominantly white "away" jumper versus Essendon because it's white on the back whereas the Essendon one is black. Same with the Pies versus us, they wore their predominantly white jumper. Mind you that doesn't explain why the Swans red backed "home" jumper (um, darker than white) was worn versus Richmond (in their black backed jumper), versus telling the Swans to wear their away white backed "away" jumper (um, whiter and thus lighter than red)

This is why its a bloody mish-mash. There seems to be no exact rule. I think its a mix of what the AFL (sometimes ludicrously) deems as a potential clash, what the club thinks might sell them more jumpers or has a sponsorship effect, what the clubs whinge about, and possibly other unexplainable factors. Just when you think there is a rule or reason, they seem to go against it in a number of other games in the same round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back