Opinion What compensation would we get for Monfries?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO he's off to Port and both clubs are looking for a mutually beneficial trade rather than letting Gus walk.

If he was going to Adelaide, the papers would have been in 15 minutes after Tippett announced his decision.

Maybe we're trying work Slattery in there too.

As the trade has to be 'fair' to get approved by the AFL, I wonder if this will have a bearing on the final trade result.

No. We have the option to match the offer. Port is in the box seat bc they offered 4 years and Adelaide won't.

Port do not have Essendon over a barrel.

Understand and agree that you can match any offer, and as i said above your options are to retain him or trade to us. However what you don't want to do is not match a FA offer or you end up with nothing.... so you may well encourage a trade to avoid him leaving as an FA - if you dont intend to match a higher offer.

Understand and agree that you can match any offer, and as i said above your options are to retain him or trade to us. However what you don't want to do is not match a FA offer or you end up with nothing.... so you may well encourage a trade to avoid him leaving as an FA - if you dont intend to match a higher offer.

In all honesty though, you've got a lot more to lose than us if a trade can't go through.

Duckworth, not sure who's making the calls at Port while they look for a coach, but if it's Shaun Rehn Slatts is a very good chance.

In all honesty though, you've got a lot more to lose than us if a trade can't go through.

Trade doesn't go through we lose nothing we can just move on, use psd( which i doubt) or use up one of our compo picks.

But if a trade doesnt go through you stand to lose Angus for nothing... i imagine thats worse than us using pick 30Ish instead of 40ish on him.

Trade doesn't go through we lose nothing we can just move on, use psd( which i doubt) or use up one of our compo picks.

But if a trade doesnt go through you stand to lose Angus for nothing... i imagine thats worse than us using pick 30Ish instead of 40ish on him.

We're losing Gus for Goddard (we pretty much need to let him go for the cap space), so we're happy.

You're risking a top 10 pick if you take him under FA.

In what world are we risking a top ten pick. We will get and end of first rounder at best for Pearce (22ish) and a second roundet at best for Chaplin (30ish). Monfries offer will be closer to Chaplin figure than Pearce figure meaning its pick 30ish on the line.

If your happy to let him go and free cap space thrn you will be happy to let him go, clear some cap space and have a third round pick to use in other trades or for your own draft.

Is it confirmed we need to lose him for Cap space? Last year we were only just on the 90%.

Doubt Monfries would walk to the draft. He has a reasonable 2 year offer on the table. Worst case he stays with us.

We won't lose him for nothing.

Correct... so you will keep him or trade him and the only clubs that would condider trading for him are clubs that have something to lose by picking him up as a FA.

In what world are we risking a top ten pick. We will get and end of first rounder at best for Pearce (22ish) and a second roundet at best for Chaplin (30ish). Monfries offer will be closer to Chaplin figure than Pearce figure meaning its pick 30ish on the line.

If your happy to let him go and free cap space thrn you will be happy to let him go, clear some cap space and have a third round pick to use in other trades or for your own draft.
If you took Monfries via FA he would cancel out the higher of the picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You get one pick after FA, not one per player I believe. So the cumulative value of Chaplin, Pearce and possibly Salopek and Surjan is easily a first rounder based on values similar to what you posted there.

We know he's gone either way, so we're more than happy to let you blink first. In all honesty Monfries + pick 32ish for Jacobs is the best solution for everyone.

While you're on here Malibu could you give us a bit more on Jacobs? Could he be worked into a trade in your opinion?

Probably.
I expect he's leaving... has played for us basically when fit but apparently is a bit of a loner and homesick. Prior to you getting Goddard i thought a trade for monfries but now i think that wouldnt be an option for us as we would want top 30.
he's played out of position down back and has looked better on ball.

Ps to whoever said we lose our highest pick for monfries as an FA thats simply not true... it all comes down to what contract we offer.

While i say top 30 pick its highly likely that unless theres a bidding war that we would struggle to get his true value.

While you're on here Malibu could you give us a bit more on Jacobs? Could he be worked into a trade in your opinion?

My opinion on Jacobs is he has suffered under the Primus "play the kids even if they're not ready" model.

Jacobs was actually reasonable given he was thrown in the deep end, but the step from playing TAC Cup to AFL without anything in between is massive and not many do it seamlessly. Since being drafted he has also had glandular fever and a few other injuries (none major though).

Malibu, you can correct me if I'm wrong but I think Jacobs was played at half back a lot when to me he is a midfielder. His disposal as a junior was very good but seemed to suffer in the AFL and the confidence was shattered such that he was only really serviceable when playing for the Magpies. That I think can be attributed to being fast tracked into the senior side and playing in a defence that was always under the pump. He had no time to adjust to the pressure of SANFL let alone AFL football whilst being played out of position hence confidence would've suffered, and by then it was too late for season 2012.

He needs time off and a fresh start whether that fresh start is at Port under a new coach or anywhere else is anyones guess.

EDIT: Too late, thanks for the update in less words Malibu. For a change I was reasonably spot on with my comments.

The compensation can be more than one pick, but not necessarily 1 for 1. The AFL will look at the total net loss and award appropriately.

This is my understanding after reading the FA explained on AFL website.

You'd hope at least the clubs have some sort of idea. It could be that 1 for 1 makes more sense, for example a team who seem to be losing alot of players would benefit better from second rounders than an early first and having to take 5/6th rounders to fill up their list.

If Gus has to go, I'd be happy enough with:

Essendon: 28, 48
Port: 32, Gus (compo pick 29)

Cracking deal for them, but that's the way it goes. They don't stand to gain anything of value with:

Essendon: 28
Port: Gus, (Compo 29), 51

Is it confirmed we need to lose him for Cap space? Last year we were only just on the 90%.

Doubt Monfries would walk to the draft. He has a reasonable 2 year offer on the table. Worst case he stays with us.

We won't lose him for nothing.

I would think we would be pushing it next season, Hurls starts a 5 year $3 million($600 py) contract this coming season and Paddy starts a 4 year $2 million($500 py) contract, add in Stants who starts his new contract as well in which he would have got a pay rise after the start to the year he had. Also Demps starts off a new contract. All this before we even add in Goddard's and I think we would be pushing it. But in a way it is good because it is finally making us clear out the overpaid deadwood that has been clogging up the list for a few years. We were just a little bit unlucky that most negotiations were going during our flying start to the year so we may have overpayed a little bit for some players.

I think that's why Bomber Thompson stated during the year that some blokes self worth is worth alot more than they are actually worth because they haven't achieved anything yet.

I don't know why everyone wants Jacobs. If we can package up Monfries and Slatts, there's plenty of good mids that will available in the draft for any second rounder we can get.

Port may want to trade with you so that they don't lose any of their compo picks, but Adelaide haven't lost anyone to FA have they? If not, they can just pick up Monfries for "free" via free agency.

Of course they can. In saying that, you'd assume the terms would need to be similar to that which port are offering. By the sounds of it, I'd be surprised if Adelaide were prepared to pay that price for the output they're likely to get from Monfries.

I think it will be a trade to Port. Second or third round pick. Potentially a player exchange.

Excuse my nievity but can the compensation picks given for free agent losses be used in this years national draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back