Food, Drink & Dining Out What did you cook for dinner last night?

Remove this Banner Ad

Fish & Chips

I'm not sure this thread was designed in the spirit of people posting a simple declaration EVERY day of what they had.

I think it was a creative attempt at exchanging recipes.

I defrosted two fillets i bought from coles and the sticker said "barra skinnon". It was $15 for 2 pieces, i hope i find it again because it was the best fish i've cooked and up there with the best i've eaten. I baked it with some onion, ginger and lemon. Just incredible.

Vegies i had roast yellow, red and green capsicum, red onion and zucchini as well as steamed broccoli and cauliflour. Then some brown rice with a hint of curry.

I defrosted two fillets i bought from coles and the sticker said "barra skinnon". It was $15 for 2 pieces, i hope i find it again because it was the best fish i've cooked and up there with the best i've eaten. I baked it with some onion, ginger and lemon. Just incredible.

Vegies i had roast yellow, red and green capsicum, red onion and zucchini as well as steamed broccoli and cauliflour. Then some brown rice with a hint of curry.

I really rate Coles meat these days.

I've been buying kilos of their bulk chuck steak and turning it into all kinds of things - chili con carne, madras curry, massaman curry, morrocan tangine casserole, stuff like that, and the meat comes out perfectly every time.

It used to be with them if you bought anything from them it didn't matter how you cooked it, it sucked ass.

I really rate Coles meat these days.

I've been buying kilos of their bulk chuck steak and turning it into all kinds of things - chili con carne, madras curry, massaman curry, morrocan tangine casserole, stuff like that, and the meat comes out perfectly every time.

It used to be with them if you bought anything from them it didn't matter how you cooked it, it sucked ass.

(do you know the fish i'm talking about, perchance?)

I agree that coles have lifted their game in terms of deli items and meat. 10 years ago an increasing number of people started shopping at the upper class grocery stores like leos and david jones. Coles took those chains on by upscaling their produce.

You're an ace cook krisholio, or you cook good stuff atleast :thumbsu:

Lucky you Kram81, i'd love a vegie garden.

Got a shitload of snow peas in the garden atm, might have to sort out something to use them in this weekend :)

Make a nice dipping sauce and then just eat em raw or very lightly steam them :thumbsu:

I agree that coles have lifted their game in terms of deli items and meat. 10 years ago an increasing number of people started shopping at the upper class grocery stores like leos and david jones. Coles took those chains on by upscaling their produce.

You're an ace cook krisholio, or you cook good stuff at least :thumbsu:

Lucky you Kram81, i'd love a vegie garden.

I've learned to stay within my aspie limitations these days and it seems to work well, although I did pull an all nighter in the kitchen last weekend.

I promised some friends i'd whip up a bit of an indian feast and even though I wasn't feeling the best I managed to put on a monster spread - Beef madras, chicken jalfrezi, sweet potato marsala, channa daal, daal makhani and gulab jamun. I cheated by buying the coles naan, and my pakora didn't come up to scratch due to some dodgy baking powder, but apart from that I was pretty pleased, and buggered, at the end of it.

I also had pork mince I had to do something with so I whipped up a batch of italian sausage. It's perfect for homemade pizzas - preheat your oven to 180, take a khobz pita, put your passata on it, then italian sausage, freshly torn basil and shaved pecorino cheese. In the oven for about 8 minutes, and you have a very simple but yummy pizza.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barra Skinnon?

You sure thats not just Barramundi with skin left on?

Turkey fillet with wild mushrooms and steam potatoes and broccolli with olive oil and soy sauce and home made bread.

So you get takeaway / eat out every night?

I'd get annoyed at the cost.

That, or frozen meals (your Lean Cuisines etc). Probably 1/3 eat out, 1/3 take away and eat at home, 1/3 frozen meals.

We have a small kitchen and I don't have all the basics yet (rice, flour, salt, herbs and spices etc) so the first meal will be the most annoying. And I haven't got there yet. I do love to cook, it's just easier not to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back