Discussion What do you think of the fantasy leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

TaylorWalker

Debutant
Sep 26, 2010
Naracoorte, SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
What do you think of all the new fantasy leagues? I think they are clogging up the footy jumpers forum and they should be moved to the competitions sub-forum. GG said he will change them there if thats what the people want, so what do you think?

I spoke to Gibbsy about this yesterday actually, my opinion is that there should be a "Gallery" sub board so that these personal collections, which are more about exhibition than discussion, can be put in their own area.

Not dissing them at all; they're a fantastic effort by each involved. Just a way of cleaning things up as you say TW.

Even though I am one of the people involved in these new series I am taking a completely observer view to this.

The thread is called "Footy Jumpers and Fotoshops" the series are photoshops/paint series so they fit the thread.

my opinion is that there should be a "Gallery" sub board so that these personal collections, which are more about exhibition than discussion, can be put in their own area.

The sub heading does say:

"Post your jumpers and amusing photoshopped footy images. No explicit images allowed."

People are able to discuss peoples thoughts and ideas about the created designs and most other forums that I have been on don't break up these threads into several different parts as it is just more of a hassle for people to try and find things, use the KISS principle.

Plus apart from design comps and a discussion or two on the 2011 guernseys there isn't much discussion going on in this thread anyway.

Also moving them could cause a decline in viewership/postings like what has happened with the competitions.

Just my thoughts though.

My two cents...

You guys scream for a comps board, and for those tags. But you seldom use them. I have to edit every thread to put them in.

The comps board is only 'dead' because you dont use it. Many sub-boards get a lot of action because they're set up specifically to handle a type of thing different to something else.

I agree with Craegus that all those comp threads all have a right to sit in the main board too. Basically, the sub-board wasn't even needed in the first place. Those tags are annoying too imo.

However, it'll be very hard to get another sub-board. It's not like, "hey let's get another sub-board". Also, why would getting another sub-board be good if people are all saying the sub-board is a place where threads go to die. Next thing people will be posting the same threads that should be in the "gallery" sub-board back in the main board because it'll get more views and posts.

There's no consistency.

I've moved them all into the comps sub-board for now.

Imo, you can make the sub-board a hive of activity if you all use it well and often.

I kinda dont like the comps sub-board because somehow certain "comps" are good to put there because they just die there, but other comps (like fantasy threads) are more exciting right now and should be in the main board.

Need a hard-fast rule.

You guys scream for a comps board, and for those tags. But you seldom use them. I have to edit every thread to put them in.
They're still a slight asset/advancement for this board. If so, you do a good job; eventually, people will use them more often when they see every other thread has them.

The comps board is only 'dead' because you dont use it. Many sub-boards get a lot of action because they're set up specifically to handle a type of thing different to something else.
This is a run-on effect of a new feature in what was a "small" board population. Competitions are the basis on which this community is founded, and not having the "live" ones on the main board was, it seems, against what people anticipated.

I agree with Craegus that all those comp threads all have a right to sit in the main board too. Basically, the sub-board wasn't even needed in the first place. Those tags are annoying too imo.
Again, it's all about improvement and advancement as we got more and more visitors and posters. I think the board is all the better for little bits of organisation; they just need to be managed better (by all parties).

However, it'll be very hard to get another sub-board. It's not like, "hey let's get another sub-board". Also, why would getting another sub-board be good if people are all saying the sub-board is a place where threads go to die. Next thing people will be posting the same threads that should be in the "gallery" sub-board back in the main board because it'll get more views and posts.
They only go "die" now because the general feeling amongst the posters is that it should be, and hence effectively is, an Archive board for the competitions; where people can look through the past (now historical) activity, and even give their belated input where need be.
It's success and worth doesn't have to be measured by it's post count.

There's no consistency.

I've moved them all into the comps sub-board for now.

I kinda dont like the comps sub-board because somehow certain "comps" are good to put there because they just die there, but other comps (like fantasy threads) are more exciting right now and should be in the main board.
There's a bit of a contradiction if ever I've seen one ;)

There's no point in putting them in the Polls and Comps sub-board - these threads are neither polls nor competitions. They are personal collections and exhibitions of designs.
On the same token as saying they need they're own section, they shouldn't be put in this particular board for the sake of it.

Much more relevant/beneficial to all parties by having them in the main than the polls and comps.

Need a hard-fast rule.
Correct. You're in the position to implement this.

I am no hitler tho. This is a community. Consensus is needed (the hard-fast rule).

I just moved them to sub-board (for now) due to many complaints about how cluttered the main board was, until we can all think thru the problems of this board, and re-organize a better efficient system.

I really hate those tags, btw.

Getting more sub-boards, won't happen, is unnecessary too. Just need to re-configure/re-think what the current sub-board would be good for, and that will keep the main board free of clutter too. Perhaps the sub-board could be renamed RESOURCES or something, and all the resources and tips etc can be put in there. Like a sub-board meant to be quiet and dead just to house the most important/viewed threads

????? Provide feedback/ideas.

People are able to discuss peoples thoughts and ideas about the created designs and most other forums that I have been on don't break up these threads into several different parts as it is just more of a hassle for people to try and find things, use the KISS principle.

Plus apart from design comps and a discussion or two on the 2011 guernseys there isn't much discussion going on in this thread anyway.

Kreagus mate, i'm biased too. But i agree. Where is the sence in moving, or sub letting an article, when it fits exactly with this forums ethos and guidlines. Actually makes no sense.

The amount of threads on this forum which are outdated and uncommented on is large, as has been mentioned. And this is understandable- THERES NO FOOTY NEWS ATM. aside from kit of CCCC, Teamworks comps etc, theres little enough opportunites for some people to conudct projects. Albiet they do exist, but theres another option for people to create a large project and express themsevles why ostracize that?

Let people express themelves, ignore the threads you dont want to read, dont overcomplicate things, dont act without sufficient reason.

I might sound pissed off btw but i'm not-this is just my (slightly biased) opinion lol.

Good call on the poll mind you, would be good to see how the users feel

People requested a Comps board to put all the comp stuff in there.
Then after a month, they didnt like it because their threads weren't getting views/comments.
And started creating new comp threads in the main board. Just letting the other board die.

The people who requested it and then failed to use it, and also me for not moving every single comp-related thread over to the sub-board, are to blame.

Really, right now, the structure of this board+sub-board is set up fine. There's a main board for all kinds of discussion, resources, information, discussion. And a comps sub-board for all kinds of competitive photoshopping.

If people just lived by what they requested, and posted a lot in the comps-board, visisted it a lot to read new threads, to find new comp threads created, then all this wouldn't be a problem and the sub-board would get a lot of action.

It's just about using the structure appropriately.

As a mod, I never try to be heavy-handed. I try to ensure the community moderates itself. Everyone chipping in to keep the board well-organized, not starting duplicate threads, people posting threads in the right places, people behaving friendly towards each other, not offending each other and not infracting each other. It's THEIR home, OUR home, not MY home that i dictate.

Sometimes people want to push for the job, want the power, to be seen as the inspiration of a place. I dont care about that stuff. Everyone's got busy lives, we cant all be on here 24/7. I dont want to be enslaved to any forum (whether i mod it or not) 24/7 either. Sometimes we take holidays, or really busy at work, or have family issues to deal with, or their internet drops out all night, or they mightn't have access to a computer for 8 hours.

I exist. I'm a PM away. I'll get to it asap, if something pops up that requires actual moderating, outside of stuff that people can self-moderate themselves. All that's needed is everyone being on the same page in terms of the system of the main and sub-board. Put all comp stuff, fantasy or not, in the COMPS board. Put all other stuff that isn't competitive, in the main board. The sub-board will be active, people using it and posting in it, if everyone respects the board structure.

I don't think you understand my point, GG; these fantasy league threads are not competitive, they are not popularity contests and there is no winner. They are entirely different to the frequently used, run and decided KOTW, MOTW, CCCC, Teamworks etc.

As integral components of the board, I believe the "live" competitions should be on the main section, stickied if possible, for all to see as soon as they enter. These are the threads that receive the most attention week in, week out; and are, in my opinion, the best asset to this place.

Sure, when they're finished, plonk them in the comps board so they don't clutter things and result in "lost" threads that are ambushed to the previous page. But don't try and manufacture a "success" of the sub board when it isn't, I believe, in the best interests of this community in this case.

Yeah, current comps must stay on the main board, otherwise they lose a helluva lot of activity. I like the idea of it being archived in the sub-forum, all the polls and competitions take up too much room on the main board imo.

I like Smeagle's idea of a 'gallery', but obviously that isn't viable. Fantasy leagues should stay on the main board imo, these threads display designs, they are not a poll nor comp.

Unless every current user starts creating their own thread, there shouldn't be any need for change.

Just my thoughts..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've voted and I see it's currently a 50/50 split. So whatever gets decided, I'm supportive of.

I think the "problem" that's arisen is we've suddenly got fantasy leagues occurring all at once. Six months ago when Craegus did his, it was the only one. USAfootyfan was next just last week but a few others have been inspired to pick up the torch.

Why? Because they love designing jumpers, at the core of it all. :thumbsu:
Do what needs to be done for the board, it won't drive people away - the hard-core designers will stay no matter what.

I'm a stickler for organization. If you have a really good system/structure in place. Not stickying things for a week, then moving them to somewhere else, then new weekly stickies etc, or all types of comps similar comps being split up into different types of comps etc.

I'm just having a deep think about it all right now, will come up with something, and if I need admin to change the names of things or whatever, will PM them.

In the meantime, everyone keep providing your thoughts and feedback.

How about this line of thinking?....

With the tags we have, if people religiously use them, or I get admin to do that thing they do on some boards where new threads can't be created unless a tag is given, then there's no need for sub-boards. So getting rid of the comp sub-board.

I can permanently sticky a couple of threads on the one main board.

A Thread Directory kinda like I have in the NFL board, except this will be the most important resource/tutorial type threads.

Another thread directory which will have in it all the comp-based threads that are like KOTW/AJL ladders etc (like the stickies in the current comp sub-board), that are keeping ladders or whatever.

Another thread directory which will have in it all the comp-based threads that are like KOTW/AJL ladders etc (like the stickies in the current comp sub-board), that are keeping ladders or whatever.

Do you mean like this?

Kit Of The Week

Round 1
Round 2

if yes, then :thumbsu:

Yep like that.
Two thread directories.
One with all the resources/tutorials.
One with all the kotw/ccc/ajl ones that someone who is running those comps will have to update themselves in the OP.

Just waiting for more feedback from board regulars, before doing anything, and would then inform and have to await admin to delete sub-board and enforce tags on all new threads, which could take a long time.

After reading this thread thoroughly, despite being around here for a while and feeling (hopefully) that I have somewhat of an influence, I've waited until now to speak up simply to see some suggestions and what everyone else thinks.

I'm much more in favour of the directories - it helps people find competition threads easily, keeps the current comps on the main board for lots of posts and views, and can also helps newbies to the board as they first "arrive" as such.

Good thinking GG and the rest of the gang. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back