What if the VFL didn't go National?

Remove this Banner Ad

It would still be called VFL and everyone would live in pure bliss with lollipops and rainbows because we wouldn't have to keep looking over our shoulders to see if the AFL wants to ship us off.

So AFL wouldn't be a national sport. Meh, i couldn't care less if a kid in Cairns is kicking a football around or not. But i do care about my Football club.

Precisely the reason why the greatest game on Earth is not International.

Surely some sort of Tv driven super league would have emerged by now.

If the VFL hadnt voted to go national, there would have been a superleague. No question. Plans were already afoot, clubs were already spoken to, and there were plenty of people willing to buy licenses when they were offered.
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
hawthorn
Syndey
Richmond
Port Adelaide were the clubs mooted in 1985/6. Might have gone ahead of not for WC's entry fee a year later.

Would have been interesting to see.

Funny how hawthorn and richmond were rumoured to be in merger territory, however are now giants of the melbourne sporting landscape.

Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
hawthorn
Syndey
Richmond
Port Adelaide were the clubs mooted in 1985/6. Might have gone ahead of not for WC's entry fee a year later.
It a pity someone like Kerry Packer hadnt done the same to football as he did with cricket. He would havr sorted out the no hopers & free loaders no worries.
1980 AFL
Melb 6
Geel 1
SA 3
WA 3
Syd 1
By 1985
Bris 1
Syd 2
GC 1
Tas 1
FNQ 1
ACT 1

One can but imagine a well run national comp.

It a pity someone like Kerry Packer hadnt done the same to football as he did with cricket. He would havr sorted out the no hopers & free loaders no worries.
1980 AFL
Melb 6
Geel 1
SA 3
WA 3
Syd 1
By 1985
Bris 1
Syd 2
GC 1
Tas 1
FNQ 1
ACT 1

One can but imagine a well run national comp.

Are you saying cricket is well run?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you saying cricket is well run?
Compare pre to post Packer, yes absolutely. It started the real professional era for players & the game.
Out went the amateur administrators who had their state (club) prejudices which limited the game. In came innovation, mass marketing appeal, modern TV production. ie cricket advanced from 1930s thinking to leap to the forefront of sport in the nation. The changes probably saved the game & allowed it to grow in relevance through the 1970s & into today.

Compare pre to post Packer, yes absolutely. It started the real professional era for players & the game.
Out went the amateur administrators who had their state (club) prejudices which limited the game. In came innovation, mass marketing appeal, modern TV production. ie cricket advanced from 1930s thinking to leap to the forefront of sport in the nation. The changes probably saved the game & allowed it to grow in relevance through the 1970s & into today.

Certainly Packer improved it. But I get less and less interested in cricket as the years go on. I wouldn't even know who is touring this year.

Certainly Packer improved it. But I get less and less interested in cricket as the years go on. I wouldn't even know who is touring this year.
Its a blessing to be currently not following our national team. Rod Marsh has been moved on which is good news.

To put the plight of Victorian Football into perspective...

When the push came to create WA and SA clubs...only 3 Victorian clubs were financially viable, they were also the only 3 clubs that were competitive on the field as well. The rest - even Collingwood, would have been sent to the wall had it not been for the revenue generated from the expansion of the game.

Victorian Football would have been a mess
In the Ross Oakley book "the Phoenix rises" it pretty much coincides that with the sale of the licences of the WA, Qld clubs alone with the swans the money saved the AFL

Melbourne and Fitzroy may well have merged in 1986, had the VFL not gone national. It came within a whisker anyway. The Brisbane Bears and West Coast licence fees helped paid some of Fitzroy's debt

I would have been quite happy to support the Melbourne Lions.

1986melblionsmergercopy.png

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back