Analysis What list is in the worst state?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t ask this in a smart arse sense but I’ve honestly not watched any of north this year aside from against us, just read the odd match report - what the hell has happened to Ben Brown? I know he wasn’t the spawn of Lockett and Ablett and there was always a knock on him for getting a lot of frees but the guy was/is a genuinely good goal kicking forward.

I don’t ask this in a smart arse sense but I’ve honestly not watched any of north this year aside from against us, just read the odd match report - what the hell has happened to Ben Brown? I know he wasn’t the spawn of Lockett and Ablett and there was always a knock on him for getting a lot of frees but the guy was/is a genuinely good goal kicking forward.

Was very out of form + had some personal issues + injured his knee.

Fair enough. I know he’s been mentioned in dispatches as trade bait, honestly if we targeted Cameron and came up short I wouldn’t be shattered if we picked him up, assuming he could shrug those issues

Yes could be an option but other clubs might be in the hunt - notably Collingwood and perhaps the Bombers. The worry for me is that there was some very questionable intensity on show, perhaps that was off field stuff affecting him though.

Hawthorn, age of players and it will depend on things like O'Mearas knee and how Sicily comes back from Injury as to where they go next.

Decisions on Puopolo, Smith, Frawley, McEvoy and Henderson age wise. Does Shiels, Breust and Gunston have currency? Will they be around for the next flag tilt?

Stratton is badly out of form, he may lose the captaincy, but will he lose his spot?

Probably out of Hawthorn and Essendon. Both not going anywhere in a hurry despite signing a bunch of players over the past few years. Essendon‘s better because of McGrath, Ridley and Draper. Hawthorn really only have Day and Scrimshaw as decent young players going forward.

I'm certainly not going to argue that Hawthorn's list is in a great state, but I think you can add Worpel (definitely) and Lewis (jury's still out but has shown potential) to that list.
And Blake Hardwick is 23 - not sure what the age cut off is for this assessment.

Not much but I wanted to at least make sure Worpel isn't forgotten.

Adelaide are probably right now and hawthorn and north probably just behind. Adelaide are at the very start of their rebuild meanwhile I think hawthorn and north could be worse next year. Throw a blanket over those three

I'd say it's very hard to split all of North, Hawthorn and Adelaide because all have started to rebuild without anyone really getting a gauge on the quality of their youth in terms of building a brand or style.

Crows have got Doedee, Milera, Keays, Jones, McHenry, Stengle, Himmelberg, Fogarty, Schoenberg, McAsey, Butts, McPherson and Hamill but only Keays is likely to feature in their top 10 at the B&F.

North have got Simpkin, Zurhaar, Larkey, Thomas, LDU, Taylor, Scott, Hayden, Bonar, Murphy, Walker, Mahony and Xerri but only Simpkin is likely to be top 10.

Hawthorn have got Worpel, Scrimshaw, Day, Morrison, Hanrahan, Cousins, Lewis, Jiath, Jones and only Worpel is likely to be top 10, Scrimshaw a maybe but probably not enough games.
Also Hawthorn have the weakest bunch out of those 3 of the under 23 group but their group of Hardwick, Sicily, O'Meara, Mitchell, Wingard and Impey from 23 to 27 or so would be strongest so potentially don't need quite as many youth players going through.

None of those groups of youngsters can lay claim to being the most promising just yet, or the least, and with those 3 sides being the main ones in contention I think it's then hard to split.

I do think Adelaide and Hawthorn rely a lot less on a 29 year old with a crook back in the middle, which is concerning for North.

I reckon you could merge North and the Crows into one squad and they'd still struggle to win 50 percent of their games.
I reckon you could merge Brisbane with Fitzroy and there would be a period where they wouldn't win a final for 10 years.

Oh wait..

Adelaide for sure. They are so far from being a good side again that you cant even see the light at the end of the tunnel atm. I couldnt even name you 1 young gun under 23 on their list. Maybe Fogarty, but that's still a big maybe right now.

Fogarty is complete trash.

Their quality youth is Doedee, McAdam, maybe Stengle, maybe Himmelberg and maybe Schoenberg. Good young players but they're severely missing in key areas of the ground.

I reckon you could merge Brisbane with Fitzroy and there would be a period where they wouldn't win a final for 10 years.

Oh wait..

Lots of former Bears and Royboys playing in that 10 year period?

Oh wait...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawthorn, age of players and it will depend on things like O'Mearas knee and how Sicily comes back from Injury as to where they go next.

Decisions on Puopolo, Smith, Frawley, McEvoy and Henderson age wise. Does Shiels, Breust and Gunston have currency? Will they be around for the next flag tilt?

Stratton is badly out of form, he may lose the captaincy, but will he lose his spot?

Puopolo, Struggled to keep his spot in a s**t team and is gone
Smith- Good this year untill season ending Shoulder injury in round 10
Frawley-Cooked
McEvoy-In the top 10 rucks this year and had a fantastic season
Henderson-Like Smith, has struggled this year to play AFL after a season ending injury in round 7

Shiels/Breust/Gunston have a late first rounder in them, basically not worth trading, You can't go full Malthouse on a club and churn out 40% of a list in 2 years

Stratton has struggled. Im sure he's still a leader and does a lot of on-field stuff but hes starting to lose some pace, Needs to give up the captaincy and work on his own game. He looked a bit average. but structure has gone to s**t when he's out

I think Minchington/Pops/Nash/Keegan/Hanrahan are delisted

Henderson/Frawley may be asked to look into F/A

Thats 7 out potentially, We'll trade someone in and look to take a couple of picks, Hard to say with nobody knowing what list size you have next season, Thats going to really effect Henderson/Frawley

Last edited:
North is the worst by a stretch. They have publicly stated that their 4 untouchables are Cunnington, Goldstein, Higgins and Ziebell.

Two of these blokes are 32, 2 are 30 next year.

Rawlings did say that yes but Id say he meant he meant they’re untouchable in the context of wanting those 4 to be the senior heads they want around for the rebuild... Can’t just throw 18-25 year olds to the wolves in a rebuild with no senior experienced players in each part of the ground. Besides Cunnington (if healthy) none have any trade value of worth to a rebuilding side. Value lies in what they can pass on to the next crop.

I agree with you we are in for 2-4 rough years but I doubt the new admin are under any illusions about how our list needs a rebuild and a major culling come seasons end. Personally hoping for at least 8 delistings and a trade out or two 👍🏼

Essendon are an interesting one. Probably could overachieve if everything went really well for a year and finish 5th or 6th, or could cop injuries and poor form and finish as low as 12-13th.

Probably need to pick a direction and stick to it for better or for worse, they seem a little bit in no mans land right now with some great players but a lot of middling role players.

GWS, as they are an Essendon on steroids. They have re-signed the coach that hasn't been able to get them over the line. And now their backline is a mess, they are still trying to play two decrepit ruckman based on who is less sore each week, and the only bloke in the forward line that doesn't have a pea heart has busted hamstrings. Not going to win a flag but going to try until Cameron, Kelly, Green, Haynes retire.

Was very out of form + had some personal issues + injured his knee.
He’s also never been a big contested guy, he beat defenders over four quarters at the longer length through repeat sprint efforts. Shorter quarters have hurt the endurance forwards.

Essendon for mine. Seem the furthest away from challenging. With their profile they should be aimjng for top 4.
Our list has a few gaps but the age profile of the players who will be prominent in B&F voting this year is pretty good (McGrath, Merrett, Ridley, Saad, Shiel, Langford, Parish)

Draper looks like a very promising young ruck. I expect Stringer and Daniher (if he stays) to be better next year

It is at the experienced end of the list where things have been really flaky this year - Heppell, Hooker, Hurley, Zaharakis, Bellchambers, Smith, McKernan haven’t been able to consistently get on the park and have been average to poor when they have.

Worsfold has managed to take us pretty much nowhere in five years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back