what your team lacks

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh I was talking about 1979...

In 2011 you got thumped again the week after, no fairytales there
Ahh right yeah my memory of that period is a bit hazy lol.
Wasn’t alive for the late 70’s, sounds familiar though :)

John Elliott came in as president at the end of the 1983 season i think. Was his predecessor Ian Rice forced out or did he leave out of his own accord?
I was too young to know or understand the footy politics but I do not remember it being any big news at time so must have been relatively peaceful handover of baton at the time, unlike it 1979 when Rice came in and Jezza quit as premiership captain coach which as a little kid was simply a total shock that never unnderstood why. It should be noted at the end of 1987 coach Walls and Elliott were already at odds with each other even after we had won the premiership. Walls was not too surprised when he was sacked early in 1989 season when we lost a number of matches after finished 3rd in 1988 only six or so months earlier.

Last edited:

Some teams in the high level state leagues have gone from premiers to wooden spoon in one season as follows:

WAFL - Subiaco Lions premiers 1915, last in 1916
VFA - Oakleigh Devils premiers 1931, last in 1932
SANFL - Glenelg Tigers premiers 1934, last in 1935
SANFL - West Adelaide Bloods premiers 2015, last in 2016
NEAFL - UWS Giants premiers 2016, last in 2017

2001 to 2020..

2011 probably the only season in that time where enjoyed most of it with some hope.
Last year was the first real step forward in two decades where truly believe we are on the road to success.

Back before the turn of century the worst years were 1984 where we were s**t and on a rebuild with the mosquito fleet and champs of 81 and 82 full on injuries and hunger to be number one gone. We ended 4th but were way off where we should be.
1989 was horrid too in first eleven weeks when coach sacked and club in disharmony on and off field.
Slow build over next three years to four years to return to becoming a good footy team again.

But the post 2000 years been worst era for club by far. Never even won a wooden spoon until after salary cap scandal and subsequent draft penalties and fines and worst possible....letting your own homeground go because you in so much debt is easily the worst result in club history. We bascially have no homeground as a result and when we play some so called home games at Docklands it hits home what we lost as a club.
I'm not across the details, background, or anything really come to think of it. Yes, Elliott stuffed your club. But I always thought the Presidency of Ian Collins was a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. Collo was running the Telstra Dome, Carlton was hurting but still had their Princes Park deal necessitating 9 games fixtured per season, which led to some weird non Carlton games being fixtured there.

And then Collo becomes Carlton Pres, and during his reign Carlton becomes a tenant of Docklands and Princes Park becomes a community ground. Collo reigns for 2 years, gets this deal done and then pisses off back to run Docklands again.

Am I remembering this right? Be interested in a Carlton person's view of this period. Or was the club just so cooked financially that there was little option? We know the AFL didn't like the 9 game PP deal.

========================
Yes he was being sarcastic

View attachment 1627024
I have fond memories of this game. It was after this game that Sportsbet removed my ability to place bets "picking my own line" :mad:

==============

To answer the OP, before my time thankfully. 1925 through to 50's. 90% of our spoons and 0% of our finals appearances.

In my time, probably the late '90's. Suits trying to disappear our club and we were very meh at that time. A few good players but very much just making up the numbers.

Maybe also in early 80's when we had a strong team but off field turmoil leading to Parkin leaving as coach? But I was too young to really know.

We were bad in early 00's (like now) but you could see some talented kids coming through. Late 90's was just grey middle of the road fare. Football drizzle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not across the details, background, or anything really come to think of it. Yes, Elliott stuffed your club. But I always thought the Presidency of Ian Collins was a bit of a wolf in sheep's clothing. Collo was running the Telstra Dome, Carlton was hurting but still had their Princes Park deal necessitating 9 games fixtured per season, which led to some weird non Carlton games being fixtured there.

And then Collo becomes Carlton Pres, and during his reign Carlton becomes a tenant of Docklands and Princes Park becomes a community ground. Collo reigns for 2 years, gets this deal done and then pisses off back to run Docklands again.

Am I remembering this right? Be interested in a Carlton person's view of this period. Or was the club just so cooked financially that there was little option? We know the AFL didn't like the 9 game PP deal.

========================

I have fond memories of this game. It was after this game that Sportsbet removed my ability to place bets "picking my own line" :mad:

==============

To answer the OP, before my time thankfully. 1925 through to 50's. 90% of our spoons and 0% of our finals appearances.

In my time, probably the late '90's. Suits trying to disappear our club and we were very meh at that time. A few good players but very much just making up the numbers.

Maybe also in early 80's when we had a strong team but off field turmoil leading to Parkin leaving as coach? But I was too young to really know.

We were bad in early 00's (like now) but you could see some talented kids coming through. Late 90's was just grey middle of the road fare. Football drizzle.
Both Ian Collins and Graham Smorgon were appalling presidents imo. It wasn't until Richard Pratt took over as president, that the club finally sorted itself out financially.

Hey, Ive heard so many different revisionism about it all, especially on here that hard to even remember order of things. Lets just say it was such a dark period that most of it you try to not think about too much. But, my vague recall is Collo took over when we were so ****ed it was beyond a joke. The fact is Elliott caused us to be in massive debt on two things combined, which were both stupid. He built the stupid Legends Stand which a horrible design in itself. Then he tried to create the scenario that footy fans would pay a premium to sit there which was once part of the Outer for the average Joe Bloggs that mostly wants to enjoy their footy and pay for general admission. As a result the stand itself was like a white elephant which many rejected to buy tickets for and refuse to go and then you have the loan to build it to pay off..... Hey, lets just have a salary cap scandal soon after to have massive fines and perfect storm of all s**t happening at once. I cannot remember the order of Collo ground manager at Docklands. I mean I hate the joint more than just about anybody but he was dealing with commerical realities at the time and had more idea of how cooked we were financially and I honestly think the timing of it all was so bad, I doubt he saw any other option. Hopefully a podcast exist where someone interviewed him all about it years later so have a true idea. We were right where league wanted us as they really needed another big fan base club to go there like Essendon did. But least they went their own their own terms. Both clubs need to extract themselves from at some point as it just a souless place for footy imo. Whilst they both their they restrict their growth.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back