Whats happening with Armitage?

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've heard, he has re-signed for 1 more year basically to give himself 1 more crack at trying to cement a spot in 22, but I don't know how true that is.

Nothing official has come out yet, just internet rumours so far.

According to the Age, the only out of contract players are Gardiner, Dempster, Eddy, Mini and Miles.

So the 12 month contract must be true?

Armitage has re-signed with the Saints, but I am unsure of the terms
If Lyon has any clue he will play Armitage the whole year. Even if he is not in our best 22 he must play the whole year. The same goes for Stanley and Steven. If the Saints are going to improve enough these 3 must be perservered with.

I am positive that if the above 3 players play the whole year, come finals time St kilda will be in a better position than they were in this year.

Will Lyon do this though??

I doubt it.

.....Unfortunately.

If Lyon has any clue he will play Armitage the whole year. Even if he is not in our best 22 he must play the whole year. The same goes for Stanley and Steven. If the Saints are going to improve enough these 3 must be perservered with.

I am positive that if the above 3 players play the whole year, come finals time St kilda will be in a better position than they were in this year.

I doubt it.

.....Unfortunately.

Ross Lyon is a gun coach. Players need to earn their games. There is no point in playing Armitage, Steven Stanley, etc if they are struggling to impact games.

I doubt it.

.....Unfortunately.
Fortunately. That kind of policy is for tanking teams, not ones challenging.

We are still in a window of opportunity here. We play the best 22 (or 21, or whatever), no questions asked.

Having said that, Armo should play Round 1. Not only is he ready but he's good enough and would provide vital support to Lenny. Hopefully getting regular games will convince him that St Kilda is the place to be in the future.

Armo is best 22.
He's better than Eddy, Geary and McQualter.

He had more tackles per game in 2010 than anyone except Lenny Hayes. ( I think ).
A high percentage of his posessions are contested. ( Not as high as Eddy's though ).
He's a good kick.
He gets a good amount of uncontested ball ( meaning he is in the right place at the right time ).

Maybe Ross doesn't like him, if so , get professional Ross, do what's best for the club.
Maybe he's not ticking the boxes, if so the boxes are wrong.

This is the absolute here.

Geary and Armitage in for McQualter and Eddy is the first big change needed for 2011. McQualter might bite back and start playing good football again too if they do this.

Fortunately. That kind of policy is for tanking teams, not ones challenging.

Absolutely.

I'd love to see him in the team and I think he has a far bigger upside than some of the names mentioned in this thread but he has to earn his spot in the team with consistent performances at VFL level and take his opportunity when he gets it.

It's all going to start in pre-season. He had a few untimely injuries (hamstring) that put him behind the eight-ball this year and ultimately it's probably what cost him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Armo is best 22.

He had more tackles per game in 2010 than anyone except Lenny Hayes. ( I think ).
A high percentage of his posessions are contested. ( Not as high as Eddy's though ).
He's a good kick.
He gets a good amount of uncontested ball ( meaning he is in the right place at the right time ).

Maybe Ross doesn't like him, if so , get professional Ross, do what's best for the club.
Maybe he's not ticking the boxes, if so the boxes are wrong.

This is absolute crap....Armo went missing in a number of games and he got dropped. He was working his way back into the team via the VFL when he suffered two knee injuries. While he played the last couple of games in the seniors he was not match fit to play finals. He needed at leat two more senior games to have been considered for finals.

2011 is make or break for Armo at the Saints.

This is absolute crap....Armo went missing in a number of games and he got dropped. He was working his way back into the team via the VFL when he suffered two knee injuries. While he played the last couple of games in the seniors he was not match fit to play finals. He needed at leat two more senior games to have been considered for finals.

2011 is make or break for Armo at the Saints.

13 disposals and 6 tackles he gets dropped.
Meanwhile McQualter cements his spot with 11 and 1 ( though he did kick a rare goal in that one ). ( He also had 11 the week before - oh but he's performing a valuable role.. structure.. all that .:rolleyes:)

We know Armitage needs more consitancy, but I'd rather he was in the Saints when he has a good one. If its going to be zero tolerance lets do it for everyone.

His overall results are better than the other fringe players.
He had 21 touches in round 22. Maybe not match fit, but half the squad was injured in the GF. ( Baker wasn't match fit but he had a good game in him ).

We are comparing David Armitage , who is "sometimes" capable of a brilliant performance, with players who's average performance is sometimes better than an average performance by Armitage.
The club need to work with Armo to make his brilliant performances a regular occurance. But at least we know he can do it.

What I don't want to do is lose armo like Ball. Not because of armo himself, but because of the role he could play for another side. Ball was used in the crunches, so pendlebury and swan could get off the hook.

A similar role situation at essendon, releasing Watson and Howlett, would really piss me off. This is just an example.

I really hoped armo becomes consistent enough to cement that best 22 spot.

13 disposals and 6 tackles he gets dropped.
Meanwhile McQualter cements his spot with 11 and 1 ( though he did kick a rare goal in that one ). ( He also had 11 the week before - oh but he's performing a valuable role.. structure.. all that .:rolleyes:)

We know Armitage needs more consitancy, but I'd rather he was in the Saints when he has a good one. If its going to be zero tolerance lets do it for everyone.

His overall results are better than the other fringe players.
He had 21 touches in round 22. Maybe not match fit, but half the squad was injured in the GF. ( Baker wasn't match fit but he had a good game in him ).

We are comparing David Armitage , who is "sometimes" capable of a brilliant performance, with players who's average performance is sometimes better than an average performance by Armitage.
The club need to work with Armo to make his brilliant performances a regular occurance. But at least we know he can do it.

What "brilliant performances"? While he has potential, you are over rating him.
Armo goes missing for large chunks of games. It's like he is not even playing.
Mini and Armo play different roiles anyway so you're not comparing apples with apples.

What "brilliant performances"?

I think SS would be alluding to 3 games last year for one game with 3 brownlow votes and another with 18 possessions and 13 tackles.

9 games this year with:
21 poss, 1 goal, 8 tackles - round 2
14 poss, 3 I50s - round 3
24 poss, 5 tackles - round 4
15 poss, 3 I50s, 4 tackles - round 5
2 goals, 7 tackles - round 6

Not that shabby?

Then gets dropped after round 8 with 13 poss and 8 tackles despite Mini having 11 poss and 1 tackle.

Has a blinder in the VFL and does not get back in (Mini only had 7 touches that week).

Then has another ripper but does his knee in the last quarter.

What "brilliant performances"? While he has potential, you are over rating him.
Armo goes missing for large chunks of games. It's like he is not even playing.
Mini and Armo play different roiles anyway so you're not comparing apples with apples.

And still averages more tackles than everyone but Lenny and more disposals than the other fringe players. He must be bloody good when he's not missing.

hiss attack on the ball does remind me of Lenny, hopefully next year it will be his breakout. How long can Lendog last?

I think SS would be alluding to 3 games last year for one game with 3 brownlow votes and another with 18 possessions and 13 tackles.

9 games this year with:
21 poss, 1 goal, 8 tackles - round 2
14 poss, 3 I50s - round 3
24 poss, 5 tackles - round 4
15 poss, 3 I50s, 4 tackles - round 5
2 goals, 7 tackles - round 6

Not that shabby?

Then gets dropped after round 8 with 13 poss and 8 tackles despite Mini having 11 poss and 1 tackle.

Has a blinder in the VFL and does not get back in (Mini only had 7 touches that week).

Then has another ripper but does his knee in the last quarter.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.

What's worse is that he could easily play McQualter's "role". There's no excuse. You can't say McQualter brings anything to the table that Armitage does not.

hiss attack on the ball does remind me of Lenny, hopefully next year it will be his breakout. How long can Lendog last?

Robert Harvey territory i reckon

Pretty simple isn't it. Play him. If he's up to it this year will show.

I personally think he's ready to make a big impact.

Hope I'm right:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back