What's the Last Movie you Didn't See?

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon I watched the first 45ish minutes of Captain Phillips for the 20th time last night.

And therefore did not watch the second half for the 20th time last night.

Idk what it is with that movie, I just lose all interest once that immortal "Look at me. I am the Captain now" line is spoken.
The last 3 minutes of that movie is an absolute masterclass in acting from Tom Hanks doing the adrenaline dump and shock setting in.

The irony is that I loved The Shield and many would rate The Wire as far better, but it didnt do much for me.
Late to the thread but on the Wire - even for its time I think each season started very slowly. Indeed, it has often been described as a 'novel' more than a tv show. By today's standards it would be quite slow I think.

With so many streaming options, S1E1 needs to pack a real punch otherwise people don't bother.

I reckon I watched the first 45ish minutes of Captain Phillips for the 20th time last night.

And therefore did not watch the second half for the 20th time last night.

Idk what it is with that movie, I just lose all interest once that immortal "Look at me. I am the Captain now" line is spoken.
I think I've sat all the way through that once, iirc ok.

I remember it mainly just for the "I'm the captain now" guy and the meme.

Late to the thread but on the Wire - even for its time I think each season started very slowly. Indeed, it has often been described as a 'novel' more than a tv show. By today's standards it would be quite slow I think.

With so many streaming options, S1E1 needs to pack a real punch otherwise people don't bother.

I like The Wire but it takes forever to get into and enjoy, don't blame anybody for not liking it early on and giving up.

Amazing it got past its first season tbh.
Thanks for that. I do respect the show.

Im not against The Wire or dislike it and as you mentioned in your explanations its probably the reason why I didnt get into it. I wish I did at the time it was released, as Im 100% definite I would have loved it as much as I love The Shield.

When I was watching The Shield at the time in the 00's it was great and just as much on repeats now, I can respect if others first time watching it in 2023, find it dated, slow and not interesting. I probably would feel possibly the same if I was watching for the first time now.

Today's shows do make sure that the Pilot blows you away or tries to, in order for you to watch the remainder. Mind you with The Shield, a "good" cop killing another "good" cop was unprecedented in a police TV show.

I was bored after ten minutes of American Hustle and knew it wasn't going to get any better so walked out.

I can't think of a flick I've actually walked out on, but I remember disliking Harmony Korine's Kids intensely...

Odd, because I really liked his later film Gummo (which I had seen before Kids). Maybe that's why I didn't just bail.

I can't think of a flick I've actually walked out on, but I remember disliking Harmony Korine's Kids intensely...

Odd, because I really liked his later film Gummo (which I had seen before Kids). Maybe that's why I didn't just bail.
Geez Kids is a hard watch. I saw it after I’d broken up with a boyfriend and was feeling s**t. One of my friends brought over a movie to watch together to cheer me up. The movie was Kids - I was not cheered 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez Kids is a hard watch. I saw it after I’d broken up with a boyfriend and was feeling s**t. One of my friends brought over a movie to watch together to cheer me up. The movie was Kids - I was not cheered 😂
Not a cheery flick at all. The characters are all dickheads, basically.

That opinion seems to really offend all the "that's what all my friends are like" Internet peanut gallery.

Asteroid City. Got 30 minutes in. Too weird for me. At this point I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a Wes Anderson guy. Although I've never seen Bottle Rockets and I do like Owen Wilson movies. Lucky I didn't watch this at the movies at the time.

Usually love stuff in that genre but I really struggled to get through The Godfather.

I like The Wire but it takes forever to get into and enjoy, don't blame anybody for not liking it early on and giving up.

Amazing it got past its first season tbh.

I was bored after ten minutes of American Hustle and knew it wasn't going to get any better so walked out.
Holy s**t some very hot takes here ..especially Godfather. One of the greatest of all time! Wire one of the great shows. Not a bash ..respect everyone has different opinions
Asteroid City. Got 30 minutes in. Too weird for me. At this point I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a Wes Anderson guy. Although I've never seen Bottle Rockets and I do like Owen Wilson movies. Lucky I didn't watch this at the movies at the time.
Yeah I was the same ..I didn’t walk out but gees it was tough going. I’m a big fan of Tennenbaums and Grand Budapest but his last few films have lost me

Yeah I was the same ..I didn’t walk out but gees it was tough going. I’m a big fan of Tennenbaums and Grand Budapest but his last few films have lost me

I couldn't finish Asteroid City myself, either. I love weird so that wasn't the problem. The artifice just got on my nerves in the first minute, and only wore me down until I turned away.

It's rare that I switch off/walk out, once I've started something, but some I've never had the desire to see:
Crocodile Dundee
Titanic
Anything 'Hangover' related

A couple I haven't seen, but really should:
There Will Be Blood
Oppenheimer

A couple that are loved by most, but I wish I hadn't of bothered:
Terminator 2
Inglorious Bastards
(Saving Private Ryan almost made this list, but saved by a couple of the action set pieces)

And, a couple I put off seeing, only for them to become favourites:
No Country For Old Men
Jackie Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back