Analysis When oh when are Collingwood going to find form?

Remove this Banner Ad

Having Stephenson up forward was conducive to getting the ball in quickly due to his pace and ability to turn defenders. Without him they've gone back to no-risk methodical ball use.

No seagull no Collingwood

One thing I noticed tonight is how drastically Collingwood’s gamestyle changed from the start of the season. They are flooding their defence with players presumably to stop conceding a lot while Howe and Langdon are gone. The problem is that they don’t look like they are playing to score, which is a dangerous mindset to take into a game. It’s puzzling because they have one of the most potent forward lines when they play an attacking brand of footy.

Anyways, normally they have Moore, Langdon and Howe in defence and everyone else more spread out around the ground, but there were many moments where I saw the likes of De Goey, Grundy, Pendlebury and Treloar in defence surrounded by a bunch of players. Yes it’s helping with reducing opposition scores but you then have their stars kicking from defence to less skilled players who ended up either making a poor decision or turning over the ball.

Their stars are the type of players you want more in the midfield/forward line. Hence, they just need to let go of that fear of conceding because it is hurting them badly right now. I believe that this mindset is losing them games because most of their goals tonight came from dumb mistakes by Hawthorn players or a turnover. That’s not the only avenue on goal they should be relying on.

Regarding their season, Buckley still has time to change from that gamestyle because I really don’t think that will hold up against the competition’s best in Geelong, GWS and West Coast. They would dine on Collingwood’s relatively empty forward line. West Coast and Geelong especially wouldn’t have much of a problem kicking a score from a congested forward line so they have to change this

I have said it a few times, Pies have played about 5 outstanding quarters of footy this season if you break our games down quarter by quarter.

Overall we have been terrible and it's finnally catching up with us.

Three weeks ago I said Cox was a genuine liability. Since then he has proven me right, like again tonight. It's laughable how much Collingwood rate him.
To be fair you need a key forward to straighten your team up. Without cox they don’t have anything. You can’t rely on smalls/medium height players out of the goal square over the long run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive few weeks ahead for them. They could genuinely lose their next 3 games to Eagles/GWS/Tigers and risk falling to like 6th or 7th on the ladder.

I have said it a few times, Pies have played about 5 outstanding quarters of footy this season if you break our games down quarter by quarter.

Overall we have been terrible and it's finnally catching up with us.
You are missing Langdon, howe, Adams, beams, Stephenson. It’s hard to cover all them

Buckley has lost them. They aren't playing for him. Not cracking in.

They had a secret weapon last year. They don't have that person this year as far as I understand, and it shows.

For what it's worth let's not pretend Collingwood is the only team to ever get injuries.

We are still waiting for Ben Jacobs and Shaun Higgins, both of whom "experts" would've claimed we'd never win games without.
And experts said Eagles couldn't win a flag without Nic Nat/Gaff/Sheppard lol

Lets discount top 2 now, I think a home QF is gone, but it might be negligible if they play the Cats anyway. The team they want to avoid is travelling to OS to play the Eagles. So if Eagles look like finishing 2nd, don't be surprised to see the Pies tank to finish 4th.

Top 4 should still be the par score, but that's dependant on their next 2-3 games. 2 wins or better has them looking good, 1-2 makes it tight, 0-3 makes it unlikely. From there, I don't see them finishing worse than 4th-5th.

They are a good side, just out of form. The bounce back rebound game will come, and sadly for us it will probably come against Richmond in 3 weeks because that game is gonna be a bit of a must win for their flag hopes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back