Prediction When will Easton Wood return to the backline in 2018?

In which 2018 game will Easton Wood return to being a regular starter in the backline?

• Rounds 14 to 17

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rounds 15 to 19

• Rounds 20 to 23

• During Finals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray, Melbourne City
Easton Wood says he will start Round 1 as a forward despite modest pre-season form

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...m/news-story/d013ad218fd75b51a9b83d5286295e70

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Easton Wood says he will start Round 1 as a forward despite mixed JLT form in attack.

Wood has spent the summer training as a forward and while he has kicked three goals he has won only 12 possessions in two games.

“That’s the plan. I have got defence up my sleeve, I can always go back there and whether Bevo (Luke Beveridge) would do that as a swingman thing or in response to an injury, but the plan is to be a forward,’’ he said.

“I have played ten years in defence and it’s been great to get that different perspective and I have learnt a lot and garnered an appreciation for the challenges forwards face.

“I have shown enough in the pre-season that Bevo is confident I can be effective during the season with it and the more time I get the better I will be.”

“I sat down with Bevo at the start of the pre-season. He loves versatility in guys and having new strings to your bow. He challenged me to add one to mine.

“The more time I get, the better I will be. I am really enjoying the new challenges.”

I don't like it. I think the experiment won't last beyond the first 5 rounds.

But then there's probably a reason why I'm not an AFL coach.

Tell us what you think.

We'll probably give it a couple of weeks before we really find it won't work.
I'd rather a potential AA back than a mediocre undersized marking forward which seems to be the choice.

JJ up the ground is a tick - if we move Suckling up too (as per parts of JLT) then Wood can fit.

From Yesterday:

"Beveridge said skipper Easton Wood would continue to be used in a new role across half-forward despite limited success through the pre-season. The Dogs ranked 15th for points scored per game and 18th for goals per inside 50 as well as accuracy last year and have revamped their approach over summer.
"Easton's athletic profile in our code is probably second to none. His power, his speed, his endurance, put together with his courage and his skill aspects, he is a formidable opponent whether he is back or forward," Beveridge said."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well he did briefly go back in the 2nd QTR of round 1.
But then he went forward again. :(

I laughed and thought of that post when he went back for a nano second at the start of the 2nd.

He has looked completely at sea since the masterstroke of moving him forward was made public. Bevo's public pronouncements that he has looked really good up forward during periods of the pre-season has the stench of bullshit about it.

I laughed and thought of that post when he went back for a nano second at the start of the 2nd.

He has looked completely at sea since the masterstroke of moving him forward was made public. Bevo's public pronouncements that he has looked really good up forward during periods of the pre-season has the stench of bullshit about it.
Yup.

I fear that Bevo is a bit too full of himself to be able to admit this tactical move and his "everyone needs to be able to play two positions" mantra are in fact bullshit.

There will be a few guys who are that good that they can excel in more than one position. But most of the 800 players currently on an AFL list are going to be lucky to excel in one position, let alone two.

Yup.

I fear that Bevo is a bit too full of himself to be able to admit this tactical move and his "everyone needs to be able to play two positions" mantra are in fact bullshit.

There will be a few guys who are that good that they can excel in more than one position. But most of the 800 players currently on an AFL list are going to be lucky to excel in one position, let alone two.
You make a really good point. And lets hope Beveridge realises that whilst we still have a window for more premierships, or before good players become disgruntled and leave.

Back