Strategy Where are we going as a football team?

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to start a rebuild, and now (i have absolutely no issue with this, the club and some fans do, hey it's football, it has to happen.) Start rotating the new kids into the side, Henry shouldn't of been dropped after the first round.

Bucks is a dead man walking, if he lasts to the end of the year remains to be seen.

Who coaches next year?? I don't think anyone would want to walk into this mess. What i think should happen, throw the kitchen sink at Clarkson to come in to coach and rebuild the team for the next 3-4 years, while training up a permanent coach to take over after that time. Who?? i'm not sure. But Clarkson breeds quality coaches.

DeGoey will be gone when his contract is up.

Give Moore the captaincy and make it very hard for him to leave.

I really can't see any FA coming to us at the end of the year, their clubs could force a trade and well you know, we have nothing to trade.

Some of the older guys may have to play a year or 2 longer than they should, cause if we start this rebuild next year or the year after, there's not gonna be many mature leadership there to guide the young guys. But as i said above, start the rebuild NOW!!!!!

While i was leaving the MCG last night, i saw the new recuits leaving, i don't think they know the shitstorm heading their way, i feel for them, they will be under a lot of pressure the next year or 2.

Will be a very interesting season and I will be surprised if Bucks is not sacked before the end of the season - without Ed to protect him.
I cannot understand how the game day coaching staff are so inept.
GWS staff knew that Pies would want to move the ball quickly so stuck with man on man defense and it would be a huge bonus if the Pies played zone as GWS could then move the ball how they wanted to.
It seems like the Pies only have a Plan A and no backup if that fails.
The last 2 weeks when they moved the ball quickly and directly they scored - when they didn't turn overs happened as they are not well enough skilled and some are at below AFL standard - Maynard is a great example - he is not paying naturally and then makes bad decisions with the ball - he should be run through the midfield.
Can't blame Degoey the delivery to him is very poor.
Wright is the man for the job - if you thought last offseason was bad wait until this year - but it has to happen as Ed and Bucks have the club in free fall and there will be more pain to come.
Grundy's contract is a disgrace and will restrict us while he is there as well as paying for Treloar - the decision makers there should be fired.
The shining lights are the Daicos boys, Moore and hopefully Kelly and the Browns,
The big question now is who will be the next coach ?

The Browns ! do you wants us to improve, or go backwards further

A new coaching panel to flip some magnets around and a new game plan

Maynard. Roughy Mihocek
Howe. Kelly. Crisp
Daicos. Pendles. IQ
JDG. Moore. Sidebottom
Mcreery. Cox. Elliot

Grundy Adams McRae

T Brown. Noble. Reef. Ruscoe/Henry

That is still a lot of talent
Dead wood out and talent in
More balance

I don’t know, picking up 5 players inside top 30 was a fair effort by our recruiting team, just need to see the kids play

Chill

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not at the price we paid it wasn't
We got lucky with one of those players being an NGA.
The other 4 were gotten at the cost of Phillips, Treloar, Stephenson, First round draft selction and next year's first round draft selection. No idea about the later picks, but probably a couple of them as well. Considering none of the guys were in the top 13, we probably should have gotten 8 blokes between 14 and 31 for what our recruiters paid.

We need to start a rebuild, and now (i have absolutely no issue with this, the club and some fans do, hey it's football, it has to happen.) Start rotating the new kids into the side, Henry shouldn't of been dropped after the first round.

Bucks is a dead man walking, if he lasts to the end of the year remains to be seen.

Who coaches next year?? I don't think anyone would want to walk into this mess. What i think should happen, throw the kitchen sink at Clarkson to come in to coach and rebuild the team for the next 3-4 years, while training up a permanent coach to take over after that time. Who?? i'm not sure. But Clarkson breeds quality coaches.

DeGoey will be gone when his contract is up.

Give Moore the captaincy and make it very hard for him to leave.

I really can't see any FA coming to us at the end of the year, their clubs could force a trade and well you know, we have nothing to trade.

Some of the older guys may have to play a year or 2 longer than they should, cause if we start this rebuild next year or the year after, there's not gonna be many mature leadership there to guide the young guys. But as i said above, start the rebuild NOW!!!!!

While i was leaving the MCG last night, i saw the new recuits leaving, i don't think they know the shitstorm heading their way, i feel for them, they will be under a lot of pressure the next year or 2.

If he keeps playing at his level he will be offered a packet to leave as a free agent which we will be a fool to match and stuff our cap again. He wants a flag and he will not get it with us so he and probably Jordy may go out the door but that might set us up like Daniher leaving Essendon has.

If he keeps playing at his level he will be offered a packet to leave as a free agent which we will be a fool to match and stuff our cap again. He wants a flag and he will not get it with us so he and probably Jordy may go out the door but that might set us up like Daniher leaving Essendon has.

I doubt Moore leaves Sea Fog, he seems very invested out there, De Goey on the other hand, who knows where his head is at

Well Jordy has been a bit disappointing.

Massively dissappointing, the guy has so much talent, just hope he doesn`t fritter it all away, could be anything , but we have been saying that for a while, now in his seventh season at the club , his best finish in the Copeland is 8th, don`t think he will get to the lofty heights we all hoped for, hope I`m wrong

The problem this club has has with its supporters is that they can never accept that going backwards can be the start of going forward. I’m happy for the club to not play finals for the next few years, develop some kids, get great draft picks with trading De Goey, and possibly Grundy, or get him to take a pay cut, and look at a 5 year plan of challenging for a premiership. Start rebuilding in the draft this year with Daicos, next 2 years with key talls, midfielders 2 years after that and then free agency. Only keep the players you believe you can challenge for a premiership in 5 years time. Bottom out, go backwards and then get aggressive.
Classy username

We must rebuild as a club. The next 4 years are going to be very tough with the next two years we will be bottom 4! I am happy for a fresh start as a footy club. Bucks and the whole board need to go. Get fresh blood that bleed black and white. We also need a strong president non of this president sharing we have at the moment. If we are not if the finals by 2025 we are in serious trouble and could be down the bottom for 10 plus years like Carlton, Essendon and Melbourne. Hoping for a quick rebuild like Sydney but now play the kids. Also if we get thumped v west coast and Essendon bucks will be gone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem this club has has with its supporters is that they can never accept that going backwards can be the start of going forward

Probably because the club keeps throwing windows out the window when not necessary, the latest trade shitfest an example.

It's forever false hope on the back of never ever operating to potential as a club.

We've done this before ad nauseum through the 2nd half of the clubs life, and make no mistake, unless by an exception to the rule we'll probably do it again. In that time the other 3 scum clubs will happily waltz away with more flags while the fans of this club will be in perpetual frustration.

Someone that was CEO of Australia Post - one of the most shoddily performing organisations in the country - is also on the board.
That would be Christine Holgate, who performed her role at AP admirably. Turned Blackmores into a juggernaut before that. We could do a lot worse than appointing her as our first female president. We won't though; we'll go with Korda.

I think we still have some good pieces in place, but this year is very likely going to be a painful one.

Ed was a great president and its a joke to suggest otherwise. His stuff ups came when he played at being HR manager (stuffing up the racism complaints) and in recruiting and contracts. AFAIK he was the genius who decided we needed Beams in 2019: to be fair for a few rounds it looked like a coup.

As a smart politician he didn't keep a stable of obvious replacements on hand (and his work as President was top notch so that was fair enough) so we are left with 1. a nasty reputation as racists and 2. a lack of clear leaders to take us back out of the wilderness.

Eds enormous strength was loyalty. Most of his faults were errors on the side of loyalty. Years too long for Malthouse (got us a flag in the end), years too long for Buckley (not looking so good). Long deals for Treloar and Phillips (pushed us to the edge on the cap, we've rewarded loyal servants before like Ben Johnson, Ben Reid and Blair and sometimes it works out OK). A gilt edge deal for Grundy (when the mercenary play would have been to cash him out in 2018 for multiple top 10 picks). A rescue package for Beams (yes its a trainwreck but the rescue package for Tarrant worked well for a couple of years). I don't regret Ed's loyalty, just him wearing too many hats.

Sadly the strength of his leadership may be forgotten, because the stain of the "racism report" (which in reality was not actual KKK meetings at the club: he failed to implement an official procedure and tried to handle complaints with a quiet word in private. It was dumb and unproffesional but there's no sense Ed had a hate campaign based on skin colour).

The firesale has surely ripped the guts from the club. Maybe we are 1-3 because we've down a star and two good players, but we had games (and even seasons) with shocking injuries and found ways to catch fire. in 2018 (according to rumour the year Ed was told to just be President and stop wearing all the hats) Bucks pulled out the Sier/Treloar/Adams midfield combo (which carried us into a GF from no-chance-city) and the Cox/Mihocek forward set up that let JDG run amok, and Longmuir rebalanced the defence (still our best area) based around Roughead and Crisp of all players.

For all the tampering Ed did more good than harm. His loyalty gave most of the staff the confidence to take risks and make some weird and occasionally effective choices. With the Big President gone I think a lot of blokes (maybe even Bucks, although he's a very honest character so probably he will play a straight bat) will be watching their backs and making sure not to take any risks, and pass on blame. Its likely a new leader will ring changes and we will lose more babies with more bathwater this October.

I'd love us to show some fight , maybe start a few fights, just to stick it up the enemy. I'd love to see Grundy deck Mumford and cop six weeks (I'm sick of that AFL protected species being given a licence to maul) or tune up the Tigers or the Power. I don't think we'll be shining this year, lets make a few clubs regret taking us for granted at least.

When a Pharaoh died they buried slaves in his tomb. When a Skythian warlord or Aztec King perished they slaughtered a retinue to carry him tot afterlife. Our King Ed has perished, I think we should offer up a blood sacrifice of our enemies to honour him. We could start tying a red armband (inscribed "remember Him") on the selected executioner each week, so the enemy knows what's coming. Don't say anything of course, or the AFL would have to "do something". Just next week Cox goes out with a red rag on his arm and poleaxes Barras. The next week its JDG and he puts Heppell to sleep. Make it a season to remember.

This might be a long post.

I was happy we appointed Graham Wright, which is a good first step in resetting the club. He comes from Hawthorn and knows what success looks like. He’s going to be a pivotal part of how the club operates in the next few years so his input is crucial.

Next, it’s pertinent we appoint a new President as soon as possible. The club said the process would take eight weeks from the time Murphy and Korda became interim co-presidents on February 11, so I’m anticipating an announcement from the club soon. The club and its members need certainty on this front and the sooner we find the right person, the better it will be for us going forward, so important decisions can be made with the new President’s input. Once an announcement is made, the new President has to set about presenting their vision of the club to the members and what it looks like over the next 5-10 years. Ideally, term limits would finally be implemented as recommended by the 2017 review conducted by Murphy.

Next issue is changing and overhauling the whole coaching staff. Buckley, Harvey and Sanderson should be the first to go. The club then needs to set up an independent panel to find the next coach, whoever that may be. No more captains picks or favourite sons. Complete the process properly and start acting like a serious club on this front. Based on current trends, the next senior coach is likely to be an assistant from another club (i.e. Adam Kingsley) with no prior senior coaching experience at AFL level, however the likes of Clarkson, Pyke, Lyon shouldn’t be dismissed if the panel says they’re good candidates.

In the mean time, start looking at assistant coaches that will form part of the new coaching set up. I’d consider bringing back Buddha Hocking, retaining Matthew Boyd and finding a few more assistant coaches to complement the new coaching team. I’m not sure whether we’re handicapped in this area somewhat because of the impacts of COVID.

Questions need to be asked on the roles of both Derek Hine and Ned Guy. Neither individuals have impressed me. Guy’s response to the trade debacle last year was laughable and I think Hine is overrated these days. Our draft selections since 2012 have been mixed at best, particularly when you remove the caveat of father/son and Next Gen picks.

On the list itself, more work will need to be done to fix it, but I think we have a decent core going forward so I’m not in favour of completely gutting the list and starting from scratch again. I feel a lot of players on our list have serious talent (i.e. JDG and Grundy) but they’re not being coached well at the present time. In the short term, we need to start blooding more kids (e.g. McInnes, Macrae, Rantall, Bianco, Ruscoe, T.Brown etc.) and see what they can do. At least the supporters will have something to be excited about. I don’t think continually playing Thomas, Greenwood, Hoskin-Elliott, Madgen, Mayne week after week is helping anyone.

The club has a lot of work to do. This isn’t going to be a quick fix but like anything, if the club is capable of making some bold decisions that turn out to be correct, it can turn things around quicker than expected.

Instead of pushing for better and making each other accountable, the club has been coasting for too long with the same people in the name of stability. A reset couldn’t come soon enough. It will do us a world of good even if short term pain has to be endured.

Really enjoyed reading everyone’s views on this thread. Haven’t agreed with everything but at least it makes us think and ponder about the big issues that face the club.

This might be a long post.

I was happy we appointed Graham Wright, which is a good first step in resetting the club. He comes from Hawthorn and knows what success looks like. He’s going to be a pivotal part of how the club operates in the next few years so his input is crucial.

Next, it’s pertinent we appoint a new President as soon as possible. The club said the process would take eight weeks from the time Murphy and Korda became interim co-presidents on February 11, so I’m anticipating an announcement from the club soon. The club and its members need certainty on this front and the sooner we find the right person, the better it will be for us going forward, so important decisions can be made with the new President’s input. Once an announcement is made, the new President has to set about presenting their vision of the club to the members and what it looks like over the next 5-10 years. Ideally, term limits would finally be implemented as recommended by the 2017 review conducted by Murphy.

Next issue is changing and overhauling the whole coaching staff. Buckley, Harvey and Sanderson should be the first to go. The club then needs to set up an independent panel to find the next coach, whoever that may be. No more captains picks or favourite sons. Complete the process properly and start acting like a serious club on this front. Based on current trends, the next senior coach is likely to be an assistant from another club (i.e. Adam Kingsley) with no prior senior coaching experience at AFL level, however the likes of Clarkson, Pyke, Lyon shouldn’t be dismissed if the panel says they’re good candidates.

In the mean time, start looking at assistant coaches that will form part of the new coaching set up. I’d consider bringing back Buddha Hocking, retaining Matthew Boyd and finding a few more assistant coaches to complement the new coaching team. I’m not sure whether we’re handicapped in this area somewhat because of the impacts of COVID.

Questions need to be asked on the roles of both Derek Hine and Ned Guy. Neither individuals have impressed me. Guy’s response to the trade debacle last year was laughable and I think Hine is overrated these days. Our draft selections since 2012 have been mixed at best, particularly when you remove the caveat of father/son and Next Gen picks.

On the list itself, more work will need to be done to fix it, but I think we have a decent core going forward so I’m not in favour of completely gutting the list and starting from scratch again. I feel a lot of players on our list have serious talent (i.e. JDG and Grundy) but they’re not being coached well at the present time. In the short term, we need to start blooding more kids (e.g. McInnes, Macrae, Rantall, Bianco, Ruscoe, T.Brown etc.) and see what they can do. At least the supporters will have something to be excited about. I don’t think continually playing Thomas, Greenwood, Hoskin-Elliott, Madgen, Mayne week after week is helping anyone.

The club has a lot of work to do. This isn’t going to be a quick fix but like anything, if the club is capable of making some bold decisions that turn out to be correct, it can turn things around quicker than expected.

Instead of pushing for better and making each other accountable, the club has been coasting for too long with the same people in the name of stability. A reset couldn’t come soon enough. It will do us a world of good even if short term pain has to be endured.

Really enjoyed reading everyone’s views on this thread. Haven’t agreed with everything but at least it makes us think and ponder about the big issues that face the club.
Awesome post. 100% agree. Hope we get the right prez and soon

I don't start many threads, but I am starting to lose faith in our direction as a club.

After a disastrous offseason both from a list management and governance perspective, we are currently 13th, after a 1-3 start. We have had better player availability so far this year than we have had in ages, but we've now lost Elliott and potentially (hopefully not) Adams. We play West Coast in Perth next week and are staring at what could end up being a very poor year.

We are generally competitive, but don't look like winning at times because we have no outside run and a very average forward line. This is no surprise, given that we traded out two of our best three runners and our most promising mid/forward for peanuts.

We have the best defence in the league and a strong ruckman, but outside of that we're a bloody average side.

Our coach is in his 10th year and the ladder progression in his time in the hot seat is as follows:

2020. 8th
2019. 4th
2018. 3rd (losing Grand Finalists)
2017. 13th
2016. 12th
2015. 12th
2014. 11th
2013. 6th
2012. 4th

2011, the year before Buckley took over, we finished 1st.

In Buckley's tenure, we have only finished in a better ladder position from one year to the next one out of nine tries. We look like going backwards again this year. We get worse from year to year almost exclusively under this coach, with one obvious outlier.

I could cop that if we were genuinely rebuilding, but I don't think we are. I don't see a discernable gameplan developing and we keep going back to the same failed senior players rather than giving youth a chance. This is after the club tried to sell to the members that we are looking to retool the team through the draft.

I think we're going backwards as a team and we don't have the weight of young talent that we need to start trending the other way quickly, but am I underrating our youth? Daicos is a gun, for example, and McCreery looked good tonight, but there are no obvious potential future stars at the club. Stephenson was, but we got rid of him. I haven't seen much of our 2020 draft crop, but none of them were taken particularly high.

Fellow posters, where do you think the club is headed over the next few years? I can't understand what the strategy is and it concerns me greatly. I love my footy club, but something just isn't working.

Peace.

BTC
Backwards. The so called kids we have waiting to play aren’t very good. 1 top 10 pick who looks completely out of his depth. At least 10 sides out there have better kids waiting to debut

The Browns ! do you wants us to improve, or go backwards further
The reason I mentioned the Browns is the way they are being coached and the current game plan.
They both have that uncoachable quality of being able to get the ball - it is how they are being coached of what happens when they have the ball that is incorrect and that is what affecting their game day output.

Listening to sen right now the whole discussion tween $, Watson and Cornes is the trade period and how poor we've started - this is pressure week for Bucks and wouldn't be surprised if he folds and chucks it in.

Carringbush has gone on about what coach would want to come to Collingwood. My answer is "Any coach worth their grain of salt" will... I have no doubt that there is a conga line of coach's manager's who have already contacted Wright or are who are ready to contact Wright if and when the call is made regarding Buckley's future...

I would find that very surprising, I hope I'm wrong but I reckon this time round we're the beggar and not the chooser given the off field stuff, the warranted 'untrust' from the squad (if that exists) not to mention no 1st or 2nd round picks.

Add on top of being the coach of the highest profile sporting club in the country and that is a serious mountain to climb. Maybe too much to be attractive.

Listening to sen right now the whole discussion tween $, Watson and Cornes is the trade period and how poor we've started - this is pressure week for Bucks and wouldn't be surprised if he folds and chucks it in.

No chance.
Not in his nature IMO.

Would need to be tapped on the shoulder.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back