Analysis Where does Buddy Franklin rank amongst the greats?

Buddy's rank of all time players

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

As good as he has been, he never quite managed to recapture his magical 2008 form. I honestly thought that was just the beginning of even greater things. Still, he is by far the greatest forward of his generation.

Incredible player.
Wasn’t going to go to the G to see Richmond play Sydney but glad I went, just to see him play one last time.

Lost all of his magic but still kicked a couple.
His ability to be a threat from 60m out filled sides with fear. Still loved his partnership with Roughead. The latter was so underrated playing second fiddle to Franklin and they had an amazing understanding of each others games.

Time for him to finish up though, and probably one year too long, but been incredible for so long.

Time for him to finish up though, and probably one year too long, but been incredible for so long.
I would have said one year too long a few weeks ago, but he's been very good for the last two weeks. He was especially vital against the Bulldogs.

Would generally have had a far more solid season if he played the decoy role earlier on rather than us bombing it on his head.

This obviously has to be his last year, but the man is just a freak.

If we just stick to forwards..
Below Coleman, Hudson, Matthews, Carey, Ablett, Lockett & Dunstall.
Above everyone else.

The six above played in eras where the best players played as forwards (Unless you were really short). This century the best players play onball (Unless you are really tall). So whilst he is clearly the greatest forward this century, he is not clearly the greatest player. But he is in the top handful. About 12 - 18 on an all time list.

Clubs rankings are slightly different. For Hawthorn is is usually about how much they contributed to winning season, Findlay and flags. I would have him below Matthews, Hudson and Dunstall. On the next level with Knights, Mitchell, Hodge, Ayres and Brereton. He played his best footy at Hawthorn and Sydney would have him below Lockett and Skilton at least.

Back