Other Where Does Gridiron Sit in Favorite Sports?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Where does NFL sit?

I used to be huge into tennis until my hero Agassi retired. And I watch golf when the majors are on, specifically the Masters since it's in my back yard so to say.

I'm the same in two specific sports.
Used to love tennis and then Agassi and Hingis disappeared and now i couldn't give a s**t.
And cricket i would watch religiously as i loved watchign Steve Waugh and Glenn McGrath, they're both gone and with them has my passion for the sport.

I'm the same in two specific sports.
Used to love tennis and then Agassi and Hingis disappeared and now i couldn't give a s**t.
And cricket i would watch religiously as i loved watchign Steve Waugh and Glenn McGrath, they're both gone and with them has my passion for the sport.

The thing with tennis and probably all international sports is that you associate with individuals who represent your nation. There are no strong competitors from the US anymore. US dominance is tennis is all but gone, and the same speaks true for Australia as well. The "stars" from our respected countries never really turned the corner into champion territory.
Though I guess you have to wonder where Andy Roddick would be if not for Roger Federer. Fed has single handedly kept Roddick from about 4-5 championships. But it's probably safe to say that if no one that sorta "represents" you as a nation is any good you just sorta lose touch with the sport.
On that note, I probably wouldn't even watch the golf majors if not for Tiger.

I'd rather see Collingwood win this years premiership than to see Philly win the next 10 Superbowls. Theres just no exposure or passion when you're thousand of ks from the action. I cant fathom how anyone can be more passionate about an NFL team in which they've most likely never been to a game of. Maybe it's just in my blood but nothing will beat watching my team win a premiership.

In saying that, NFL is the more professional sport and overall a probably better one than the AFL. And yeah, I probably would get up to watch a live game between 2 random teams over an AFL game. The reason is cos I've watched so many AFL games as opposed to NFL games and the sport of NFL is so tactical that I never find myself disinterested because I'm still learning the game. Same cant be said about a Fremantle Kangaroo game.

In terms of where NFL sits;

AFL
NFL/NCAA (Cant split em)
Cricket - Only sport I play. Only enjoy watching Ashes and World Cup though.
UFC/MMA - Just about best sport on the planet.
EPL/La Liga/Soccer
-------
Formula 1
NBA
-------
Golfing Majors
NHL/Baseball
Rugby League
Nascar

Hate the A-League, any motor sport beside F1 and Nascar.

See you this time next year and I bet NFL creeps up higher on your list, TheStinger.

Depends on Adel Utd/ StK winning their respective comp titles GG.. if they don't and TheStinger pays more attention to the goings of the NFL onfield dramatic finishes (unlike the fizzzzer tonight in the AFL's bunker :p) the NFL will sky rocket to #1. EPL takes the A-League to the cleaners.. can't really understand how calamity standards can be entertaining? I can't even watch my own AFL team play.. zombie standards at times. :thumbsdown: Watch Wrong Turn I & II, far better visual zombie entertainment.

I just reckon if/when TheStinger watches a game or two of NFL every week on ONE HD or Foxtel for a full season that he'll get into it more, understand more, start seeing more nuances and beauty in the game, and NFL alone will skyrocket up his list.

Not just that, but then in time as well, starting to compare the AFL product against the NFL product, seeing AFL become more meh.

I just reckon if/when TheStinger watches a game or two of NFL every week on ONE HD or Foxtel for a full season that he'll get into it more, understand more, start seeing more nuances and beauty in the game, and NFL alone will skyrocket up his list.

Not just that, but then in time as well, starting to compare the AFL product against the NFL product, seeing AFL become more meh.

ok ok.. GG...we know...we know.. 'better to walk in on mom & dad 'doing the business' than watching AFL.. Gotcha. ;)

Getting back to TheStinger... he is obviously doing himself a HUGE favour visiting our forum.. the less he hangs out with rotten stinkin' putrid apples. the Better..

TheStinger needs more razzle dazzle beauty like this:

2264638127_0d67f682c8.jpg

not the reality of why hooliganism exists:

football-hooligans.jpg

Premier League/A-League
Formula 1/MotoGP
Cricket
Super 14/NFL/NHL

AFL

I'd rather see Collingwood win this years premiership than to see Philly win the next 10 Superbowls. Theres just no exposure or passion when you're thousand of ks from the action. I cant fathom how anyone can be more passionate about an NFL team in which they've most likely never been to a game of. Maybe it's just in my blood but nothing will beat watching my team win a premiership.

In saying that, NFL is the more professional sport and overall a probably better one than the AFL. And yeah, I probably would get up to watch a live game between 2 random teams over an AFL game. The reason is cos I've watched so many AFL games as opposed to NFL games and the sport of NFL is so tactical that I never find myself disinterested because I'm still learning the game. Same cant be said about a Fremantle Kangaroo game.

Completely agree with this post cassius and it's a great topic Wizard.:thumbsu: Fortunately for GG most Australian males love sport more than mowing the lawn etc etc so we can find time to enjoy and appreciate the different sports.:) NFL is a superb broadcast package and would probably be better being at a live game - the Steeler Nation gives me the impression that they go right off!

My list would be:

Swan Districts
WAFL/AFL
Cricket
EPL/NFL (thank goodness for 1HD to get me some vision).

I used to watch a lot of the NFL when it was on the ABC back in the late 80's early 90's. I was a big fan of the original Browns when Bernie Kosar was throwing to Webster Slaughter. I drifted away though after the glory years of Montana to Rice and the Marino and Elway brilliance among others came to an end.

I really like the game and I have started to get back into it over the last couple of years. I got excited about the Cardinals last just purely for the Cinderella factor. I need to find a team again to get some passion again for the game.

Any suggestions?

I used to watch a lot of the NFL when it was on the ABC back in the late 80's early 90's. I was a big fan of the original Browns when Bernie Kosar was throwing to Webster Slaughter. I drifted away though after the glory years of Montana to Rice and the Marino and Elway brilliance among others came to an end.

I really like the game and I have started to get back into it over the last couple of years. I got excited about the Cardinals last just purely for the Cinderella factor. I need to find a team again to get some passion again for the game.

Any suggestions?

NFL has a ever growing tendency to throw up Cinderella stories every season. Bolded =Supabah Champs. *= reached Supabah

2008- Cardinals*
2007- Giants
2006- KC & Giants
2005- Steelers
2004- Jets
2003- Titans
2002- Falcons
2001- Ravens
2000- Ravens
1999- Titans*
1998- Cardinals
1997- Vikings & Broncos
1996- Jaguars
1995- Colts
1994- Bears
1993- Packers
1992- Redskins & Houston Oilers (lost to Bills after leading 35-3)
1991- Falcons
1990- Redskins
1989- Steelers (when I started following Pittsburgh)
1988- Houston Oilers & Vikings
1987- Houston Oilers
1986- Jets
1985- Patriots*
1984- Giants
1983- Seahawks & LA Rams
1982- Jets & Vikings
1981- Giants
1980- Raiders
1979- LA Rams*
1978- Houston Oilers & Falcons
1977- Raiders
1976- Redskins
1975- Cowboys*
1974- Bills
1973- Redskins & Steelers
1972- Browns & Cowboys
1971- Redskins
1970- Lions & Bengals (both Shut out)
1969- Houston Oilers
1968- Jets
1967- Cowboys

Snap - mirrors my experience down to the letter. For some reason the stars of today don't seem to burn as brightly as the stars back then for me.

Want to try and rekindle my interest for the game. Still love the occasional AFL game, it'll always be my first love but there's to many games that are either ugly or just lack atmoshphere. Every NFL game is an event and you can't help but getting sucked into it.

So its AFL, NFL and WSOP (if thats a sport).
Can't even watch cricket anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any suggestions?

There are threads in this forum on this topic. It all depends if you want a quick, positive return or don't mind some pain.

Some NFL teams have no supporters on here.

You know, the Giants fans are a fantastic bunch!

About how the stars of today don't seem to shine as bright....

Imo, they still do, there were just as many divas back then as now, just as many amazing talents then as now. Today there's far more money and players and teams aren't as loyal to each other etc.

Often people get into the game loving the QB-WR interaction (which is like Aussie Rules i guess), the whole beauty of a player going up for a grab in both gridiron and AR.

But there's more beauty in the game....the OL-DL battle, for instance. Or the DC vs OC tactical battle. Where you dont ball-watch or follow the suspense of the score, but watch every 'play' for the 'play's' sake, like thru coaches eyes, like Madden with his telestrator. Where you watch what formations offenses come out of the huddle with, and what formations the defense combats that with. Watching the nuances of a defense: the stunts, shifts, looks, etc. By getting into the game at that level, and finding pleasure in it, it's the game itself you fall in love with (american football) rather than talented superstar players as the reason.

It'd be like being a fan of Gary Ablett or Wayne Carey and just following the game because you enjoy watching them play, but once they retire there's no interest in the GAME itself. This is a common thing with casual fans of sports that are not traditional with them. But watching deeper, breaking down the game itself, imo there's far more beautiful nuances and massive tactical layers in gridiron than most other sports in the world, so that if you love american football it really does love you back.

Any suggestions?

the great thing about American Football is that you dont need be crazy about a team for it to grab your interest. i support NYJ, but i wouldnt say Im a passionate, fervent, one-eyed, green & white till i die supporter. That's just not the way I support a team. Personally, i need to be involved to have that passion, and merely spectating doesnt provide that.

for me, the great thing about the action on the gridiron is the in-game developments. it's the strategic and tactical battle that consumes me. it's about a team having to be pro-active, being one-step ahead of the opposition. it's like chess for the coaches, but with the great variable of a players athletic ability, smarts, and discipline to be able to perform his assignment. as a viewer, my head is constantly scanning the tv screen prior to a play - the formations, the stance and gap assignments on the line of scrimmage, the looks (positioning) the LBs and DBs are giving the QB, etc. im always trying to deduce what might happen from what i see and then watch the development of the play. that itself may only last a few seconds, but the activity within that period is balls out........all 22 players have a role to play in that timeframe.

you dont sound like one yourself, but any newbies to the game, there's an excellent thread on the forum originally posted up by zarko which explains the many facets of the game. having a squiz at this is a real must to really gain a true appreciation of the sport.

About how the stars of today don't seem to shine as bright....

Imo, they still do, there were just as many divas back then as now, just as many amazing talents then as now. Today there's far more money and players and teams aren't as loyal to each other etc.

Often people get into the game loving the QB-WR interaction (which is like Aussie Rules i guess), the whole beauty of a player going up for a grab in both gridiron and AR.

But there's more beauty in the game....the OL-DL battle, for instance. Or the DC vs OC tactical battle. Where you dont ball-watch or follow the suspense of the score, but watch every 'play' for the 'play's' sake, like thru coaches eyes, like Madden with his telestrator. Where you watch what formations offenses come out of the huddle with, and what formations the defense combats that with. Watching the nuances of a defense: the stunts, shifts, looks, etc. By getting into the game at that level, and finding pleasure in it, it's the game itself you fall in love with (american football) rather than talented superstar players as the reason.

It'd be like being a fan of Gary Ablett or Wayne Carey and just following the game because you enjoy watching them play, but once they retire there's no interest in the GAME itself. This is a common thing with casual fans of sports that are not traditional with them. But watching deeper, breaking down the game itself, imo there's far more beautiful nuances and massive tactical layers in gridiron than most other sports in the world, so that if you love american football it really does love you back.

my damn single digit finger typing..........

we're thinking the same thing at the same time here, gg.........you were just quicker to get it into type. :thumbsu:

There are threads in this forum on this topic. It all depends if you want a quick, positive return or don't mind some pain.

Some NFL teams have no supporters on here.

You know, the Giants fans are a fantastic bunch!

The thread you're referring to is perhaps the 'BF NFL Supporters List' ?

No real Panther fans so perhaps that's one to focus on for TheStinger or anyone else wishing to get into it.

The BF Supporters List will be updated in early December this year.. the question is whether you wanna be faded (spewing you chose to miss out) or BOLDED because you like to enjoy yourself to be partaking in numerous online NFL action activities?

14 days to go.. ;)

my damn single digit finger typing..........

we're thinking the same thing at the same time here, gg.........you were just quicker to get it into type. :thumbsu:

I got an edge on you buddy....im using TWO fingers! lol
But your post was excellent as you explained the same thing i was trying to very well. Added a few more wrinkles to your post.

As for threads on who to support...

Check the Thread Directory stickied. Scroll down and you have two threads on NFL teams with similarities to AFL and RL teams.

Also theres a good thread started by Chadwicko who was looking for a team to follow, and a lot of good advice in there....

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=535038

I'll put that thread in the Thread Directory as well and rename it something like "New to NFL and looking for a team".

While I am not an NFL fan per se (though I will check how the Detroit Lions are going to see how Matthew Stafford goes!) this is an interesting read.

For me it's definitely the following order:

Geelong
NCAA (I love college football)
AFL
Cricket, if I get the chance, which is rarely
NFL when it's on

I love the Cats with every fibre of my being but sometimes the neverending sagas involving the AFL get tiresome. And it's hard to get excited about a Melbourne/North game, especially from over here.

The National Football League was the first of the US sports that I followed (30 years ago!!!). I enjoy watching it to this day, and cannot wait for the new season to begin. American football has never been my absolute favourite sport, but has always been in the top 5.

My personal favourites.....

1. MLB
2. AFL
3. NCAA Football
4. NFL
5. Cricket
6. NHL
7. Lacrosse

1. AFL
2. International Cricket
3. Grand Slam Tennis
4. NFL - That says something considering I've only followed for 1 season
5. NRL - Pretty much only games with Storm involved
6. Formula 1
7. International Football
8. Super 14
9. A-League

AFL (still my #1 sport)
NFL (getting closer to AFL with the increased coverage)
MMA (almost watch it daily it is on so much)
NHL (would be higher up the list if we got more coverage) / National Cricket (don't care for State too much)
Rugby Union (Super 14 and Wallabies)
Boxing
NBA (reigniting my interest with guys like LBJ)
NCAA football (just because it is football)

V8's / F1 (depends on the year what I like more - gone down with 7 taking over V8 rights)

Lacrosse (played it badly when I went to school in the US)
MLB (just getting into it, never liked it before)
Soccer (good soccer, like world cup, la liga, premier league, etc)
Golf (for the big ones)

Tennis (used to like it, find it way too boring now)
Netball (only for the skirts)
A-league (snorefest)

I am sure there are more sports I watch that will come later to me...

AFL
Aussie cricket team
NFL
Tennis

So on... As with an earlier poster, I'd rather see the Swans win a flag than the Bears win five superbowls in a row.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back