Opinion Which club is Essendon's biggest rival?

Essendon's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Im aware of that. But you arent answering the question.
The strength of a rivalry is a factor of how much people give a rats about the opponent. More mentions of north on this board than any other team = greater fixation on north by Essendon fans. As a result they have a claim to being one of our biggest rivals.

The strength of a rivalry is a factor of how much people give a rats about the opponent. More mentions of north on this board than any other team = greater fixation on north by Essendon fans. As a result they have a claim to being one of our biggest rivals.

North get mentioned alot on bigfooty because a handful of their supporters have an obsession with us that has created a rivalry on these boards between the supporters. This does not translate to a rivalry between the clubs.

North get mentioned alot on bigfooty because a handful of their supporters have an obsession with us that has created a rivalry on these boards between the supporters. This does not translate to a rivalry between the clubs.
What is a rivalry if not a hatred between supporter groups and players of two clubs? Fans (of which bigfooty is probably a decent approximation) get riled up over North, and the players seem to as well (see: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bombers-roo-the-day-20120811-241lp.html ). You accuse their posters of having an obsession, yet it is hard to find a thread on this board that doesn't have a mention of that team somewhere in it.

What is a rivalry if not a hatred between supporter groups and players of two clubs? Fans (of which bigfooty is probably a decent approximation) get riled up over North, and the players seem to as well (see: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/bombers-roo-the-day-20120811-241lp.html ). You accuse their posters of having an obsession, yet it is hard to find a thread on this board that doesn't have a mention of that team somewhere in it.

Bigfooty is not a decent approximation of the rivavlry at all especially when it comes ess v nm.
They are mentioned much more then collingwood on this board but there is no way they are a bigger rival to essendon then them.

At the risk of going down the 'Obsessed with North" path, I didn't consider there to be much of a rivalry between us before I joined BF, and I know many many Essendon supporters who aren't on BF who wouldn't consider it a genuine rivalry. There is a significant BF based rivalry, though.

At the risk of going down the 'Obsessed with North" path, I didn't consider there to be much of a rivalry between us before I joined BF, and I know many many Essendon supporters who aren't on BF who wouldn't consider it a genuine rivalry. There is a significant BF based rivalry, though.

I'm in the same boat, but after spending some time here it seems pretty apparent that there is a rivalry, if not the traditional rivalry with respect for the opposition like that with Collingwood. It is a bit more petty but it is still a rivalry. And as per that article by Matty Lloyd, the rivalry goes a bit further than just BF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not. It's the constant discussion of north on this board by Essendon posters that makes people think there is a rivalry.

I have a couple of noisy wattle birds that have taken up sitting in the tree outside my bedroom window in the morning. They're an annoyance, and I tell anyone who'll listen just how annoying I think they are.

On the other hand there's a guy at work who's going for the same promotion as me. I consider him a rival.

Guess which one North is.

Giving North way too much credit to call them a rival. It has to be Collingwood or Carlton.

Was Hawthorn for a while in the 80s, but that was only because we were the two best teams during an era when players were belting each other a lot.

Why on earth would anyone vote for nwhoref?! Contempt and disdain are not a rivalry.

Each and every one of the 17 other teams and franchises are our rivals, as is the league itself, the media and a large portion of the public. Feels good, man:hearts:

Nor(f) have little brother syndrome. It's clearly Carl and Coll. Hawthorn were dealt with in the 80's.
Hawthorn have that little brother syndrome similar to north, a very sensitive bunch, any topic regarding Tassie, Essendon & that game where Lloyd cleaned up Swell, even though Brown had knocked out winderlinch before hand, they get wound up very quickly!

People dismissing the Whorek's rivalry...

I'm a child of the 80s so it's a rivalry that is very real for me, but it isn't steeped in hatred like that with Carlton nor the tradition of the Collingwood rivalry.

I couldn't split Collingwood and Hawthorn and have since updated my other post to better reflect this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back