Which Loss Really Stuffed Up Your Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
That loss where the aftermath was just as painful as the match itself.

For Richmond it was Round 1 2009,
let me paint the picture for you.

- Terry Wallace was in the final year of his contract, yet to make finals.

- Ended 2008 in fantastic form, winning 8 of the last 10 and defeated the reigning premiers Hawthorn.

- Matthew Richardson almost won the Brownlow medal playing on the wing in 2008, in probably the best individual Richmond season since Kevin Bartlett in the 80s.

- Ben Cousins signs to play with us, giving us legitimately a genuine A+ superstar (we soon find out a shadow of his former self).

The result? In front of the biggest Round 1 crowd in history (at the time), Richmond lose by over 10 goals, Cousins pings the hammy, soon to be followed by Richo.

The aftermath? By halfway through the year Wallace was sacked, we retired all our senior players, hired Jade Rawlings as a caretaker coach and went on the hunt for rebuild number 16 in 30 years.

It was the worst, we’ve lost by more before, but this loss really hurt. It ruined such a promising season before it even started for us.

Over to you BF.

Not my team, but Carlton's loss of draft picks in 2002 has really screwed them up. They really haven't recovered from that.

Freo's first game.

Against all odds with a team that could only in hindsight be described as state league level at best we fought a courageous 5 point loss to the Tigers.

It was this fight and determination but ultimate inability that would help define the club for roughly the next 23 years.

It's been a turbulent ride of ups and downs, but I can't help but feel that if we had kicked one more goal on that fateful night that we'd have won 8 premierships by now.

Aside from the obvious grand final loss, getting destroyed by Melbourne this year confirmed every Crows fan's worst fears: that yes, other sides are going past us, the injuries (and incompetent fitness department) have caught up with us and we are a team on the slide.

We have since lost another three on the trot, each putting a further nail in the coffin of 2018 and possibly the entire premiership window. As a supporter it's a very demoralising feeling. You can tell that the players have dropped their heads since that afternoon.

Last edited:
Freo's first game.

Against all odds with a team that could only in hindsight be described as state league level at best we fought a courageous 5 point loss to the Tigers.

It was this fight and determination but ultimate inability that would help define the club for roughly the next 23 years.

It's been a turbulent ride of ups and downs, but I can't help but feel that if we had kicked one more goal on that fateful night that we'd have won 8 premierships by now.
IMG_1733.JPG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 QF and SF.

If we'd snuck home in the QF, would've beaten North in the PF and still think that Geelong team, like in 08 and almost in the prelim, could've folded under pressure.

Instead we go out in straight sets in over time and our two Brownlow medallists are both gone within a month. We win only 16 games over the next 3 years.

Still think we have the ability to compete over the next 5 years, but if we don't, the 2016 semi-final when Jordan Lewis and Sam Mitchell played their last game in Hawthorn colours and we were overrun by the hungrier Bulldogs will be the one we will turn to.

Where to begin, where to begin...

The Essendon loss? Not long into the second rebuild and this just hit like a tonne of bricks. Even as a neutral observer I couldn't believe what I was seeing. My local club was playing the following day and Jason Akermanis and Brenden Fevola were on opposing teams. BT spent a bit of time talking about that encounter during the commentary. Melbourne were so bad that night that a country footy match felt more important and exciting.

Still think we have the ability to compete over the next 5 years, but if we don't, the 2016 semi-final when Jordan Lewis and Sam Mitchell played their last game in Hawthorn colours and we were overrun by the hungrier Bulldogs will be the one we will turn to.
The week before was the one that killed us. A home pf against the swans was very winnable. An away pf v the giants wasn't

Remove this Banner Ad

Back