Scandal White Supremacist Eagles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Larry Barnsworth

Good Heart, Soft Touch, Fast Horse
Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sadly the "OK" symbol has been appropriated by white supremacists. Or at least believed to be, which makes it near enough.
Here is an example.
1620024587326.png

So now we're in a world where if someone makes that symbol for one of a variety of non white supremacist reasons, and someone sees it and wishes to pursue that narrative, well here we are.

Saw a few examples last year:
"Oh my God, the police are blatantly flashing white supremacist symbols at us". No, they were wearing masks and were signing "are you OK?" (scuba-diving style)
"Look, the Covington Catholics are flashing white supremacist signs during this game". No, the game is basketball and that sign is for a 3 pointer, which they are celebrating on the sideline.

And so on. Facts don't matter.

It's just one of those things. A person can choose to interpret it in a particular way which can cause trouble for you. If you use the symbol genuinely, it behooves you to know that now, sadly.

And yeah, I think ball gazer has been around a really long time, but I can't remember exactly. But I don't think it's anywhere close to being recent-ish

Percel

Percel doesn't like microwave meals
Feb 6, 2013
Champtown ACT
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Champtown Campaigners
Longer than that. First I remember hearing about it was on Malcolm in the Middle. That finished in 2006 but was in earlier episodes.
Reckon more people know it as the look and punch game than a white supremacist thing (not denying that it's used that way by some). Plus the fact that one of the Indigenous players is doing it, highly doubt that's what they're intending.
I remember it in the nineties, private boys school, the brothers loved that sh*t

Engimal v3

Oppa gangnam style
Sep 21, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tasmania
Had a good laugh at this until I realised that the ABC journo that OP was quoting was fair dinkum...

Didn't everyone grow up playing this game? If they look at the hand gesture, they're a ballgazer. A bit homophobic maybe, but not racist lol

Edit: a lot of people in his replies agreeing with him. Twitter is bizarro world.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Club Legend
Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Some people (not white supremacists) really want this to be a hate symbol.

Not a single person here actually believes the players are using it as such.

Tell these campaigners to gagf use this symbol widely in a "ball gazing" or diving "okay" context to the point that it loses all meaning and we no longer need to see these click bait articles.

Call out people like the ABC journalists for attempting to create division.

HaroLad

HaroChad
Dec 11, 2013
Baghdad
AFL Club
Geelong
Had a good laugh at this until I realised that the ABC journo that OP was quoting was fair dinkum...

Didn't everyone grow up playing this game? If they look at the hand gesture, they're a ballgazer. A bit homophobic maybe, but not racist lol

Edit: a lot of people in his replies agreeing with him. Twitter is bizarro world.
These are the people that run the media. Remember that.

Anyone with a blue check mark is an enemy of the people.