Who do you think is the best indigenous person to ever play?

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't alive to see Polly Farmer play, so I cannot judge that. But I did see Peter Matera play. Matera was a very dominant player, and that is what sets him apart from other modern day indigenous players. Matera was - and is - and underrated 'All Time Great', he was purely something special. I think because he played for West Coast he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. In my time, in the past 25 years, I would say - Peter Matera> Daylight> Andrew McLeod/Goodes.

Matera's best was unbelievably good

McLeod Was a Star. Unlucky not to have a Brownlow around his neck (once or twice)

But I think there is someone in here thats not getting enough love, for some the work he did; Aaron Davey. Could turn a game, was a real game changer. Sublime skill, athletic freak, speedy as Jetta.

It's a great question as there have been so many great ones and I'm only going to mention the ones Ive seen which excludes Farmer, Cable, M Rioli.

I would say the best 5 I've seen are"
McLeod
Peter Matera
G Wanganeen
L Franklin
M O'Loughlin

Unfortunately it means I've left out S Burgoyne, Goodes, Long, C Rioli & N Winmar

Maybe I should make that top 10. Too hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Long's best was the best mid of the lot. Farmer revolutionised the game. Goodes has been one of the most unique players in the game with skill, size and athleticism. Franklin similar to Goodes.

I'd say that Franklin may be the best of the lot.

Seen all of the above & Polly stands head & shoulders above the rest given he revolutionised ruck work. Name a skill, Polly had it.
Stephen Michael better than Goodesy, similar in many ways, far more physical at the contest - All Australian captain 1983. Maurice Rioli also in the 1983 side, is up there with them.

Andrew McLeod was referred to as the Rolls Royce & Cabes came down the same production line.
Peter Matera with 5 from a wing in the 1992 GF is but one of the many indigenous players to win the Norm Smith & all deserve the compliments that come their way.

Personal favourite was Sebastian Rioli the first of the clan to venture south - no athlete, just a genuine footballer with all of the magic skills that we now associate with any Rioli.

Stephen Michael.

If we had the anti racist laws we do nowadays, old mate Kev Taylor would have been up there.
Not easy being a 100 goal a year rover/ranga/black fella.

Attachments

• KevinTaylorbreaksfree.jpg
    KevinTaylorbreaksfree.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 6
Stephen Michael.
I am curious. We never saw Michael in VIC, despite Geelong having signed him up. What in your opinion made him so good and special, and better than Polly?

I was a kid when Polly played for Geelong. I saw him play but was probably too young to appreciate his game. But I grew up reading and being told he was the greatest indigenous player ever.

Seen all of the above & Polly stands head & shoulders above the rest given he revolutionised ruck work. Name a skill, Polly had it.

I'd agree, Polly did change the way the ruck was played, his use of handball at stoppages truly revolutionised the game, until then handballs were mostly used to get rid of the ball when you were in trouble. Sadly, Polly is suffering from dementia.

I am curious. We never saw Michael in VIC, despite Geelong having signed him up. What in your opinion made him so good and special, and better than Polly?.
Stephen Michael was named at CHF in the team from earlier in the thread. But he also dominated in the ruck. Polly was deft , Michael was hard. Crash into you all day at the tap , crash into you like a Peter Knights Royce Hart at CHF. Just a hard bodied man who was also resilient. Someone else with a better handle might be able to confirm his longevity. Gave Stynes record a go or even beat it handily.

That's from a SA perspective. The WA folk may give more

Top 10 best indigenous footballers I've seen during my time

1. Lance Franklin
2. Adam Goodes
3. Andrew McLeod
4. Peter Matera
5. Gavin Wanganeen
6. Shaun Burgoyne
7. Peter Bell
8. Michael O'Loughlin
9. Jeff Farmer
10. Chris Johnson

Would be a dead cert for the best all time Korean player, not so much for the indigenous team.

Michael Long's best was the best mid of the lot. Farmer revolutionised the game. Goodes has been one of the most unique players in the game with skill, size and athleticism. Franklin similar to Goodes.

I'd say that Franklin may be the best of the lot.

Michael Long was good, but certainly not the best mid of the lot, not even the best indigenous mid of the 90's.

Michael Long was good, but certainly not the best mid of the lot, not even the best indigenous mid of the 90's.

Yes he was. He just did his knees before he really got to cement it. I have never seen a small mid basically carry a side to a premiership before. KPPs, sure, but not a small mid. Matera and McLeod were of similar quality to Long, but his best was unstoppable. The other thing about Long is that he came back having lost all his pace and still was a great contributor in the forward line due to his high level of class. The other two didn't posses that.

Goodes is a multiple Brownlow medallist who succeeded in different areas of the ground. Buddy is a great full forward but not as versatile or influential, imo, as Goodes. Buddy would be second in the 2000s but Goodes clearly, for mine.
Shane Woewodin is a Brownlow medallist. Robert Harvey won two... Is he better than Gaz Sr? And if you're going on Brownlow votes, Buddy averages more votes per game than Goodes has, when key forwards rarely get votes.

He's on pace to get 1000 goals when in the modern game, 600 is a marvel.

He's kicked 250 more goals in 150 less games.

He's a once in a generation player. Goodes was sensational and everyone loves a utility who you can play almost anywhere, but his best doesn't approach Buddy's surely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back