Who should coach Freo in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Rhetoric abounds with coaching positions, both to be appointed and to extended.
A couple of things this week to consider.
- Lyon states he will be coaching next year. “I’ll be around in 2020” - but will it be at Freo?
- Had a cuppa and spoke with Stephen Silvagni in Melbourne, no one has asked him about this, why not?
- David Teague was all but ruled out by influential Carlton board member Chris ‘Twigley’ Judd, saying that Carlton’s next coach will be an experienced coach, who is available? Has Carlton spoken to someone? 🤔
- I really thought Longmire would go to NM, not to be - quite surprised.
- NM are thus still looking for their next coach, reckon the way it’s panning out that Shaw will get the gig with some big assistants.

I don’t know but I reckon something is going on, Freo are definitely not jumping at shadows like previous administrations - Peter Bell holds a steadying influence and the board is choc full of Freo people.
Just an assumption, reckon there is mutual respect with Lyon and the board and not being able to be sacked in written into an clause/ strategy somewhere.
He has to be in the mix at Carlton and if they don’t appoint a senior coach before the end of the home and away season, s**t may be going on.
Amicable separation by way of him going back to Melbourne for reasons and Freo seeking a new direction.
Either way if we show minimal improvement over the next month, the drums will get louder and the impetus for change will be undeniable to give reason for change.

Justin Longmuir is a MUST for our club next year in any role.
Time will tell which role.??????

Longmuir needs to come in....
Freak of a coach by all reports
Coached all lines of the field and currently Collingwoods team defence who just held up west coast from scoring for 45mins!
Also trained jk and darling for years in the forward line
Think of the build up we could have as the no 2 draft pick comes home and tries to get freos first flag!
Haven’t seen Rossy jump into freos crowd after kicking the winning goal before!
Rosich to go also and have belly and pav around him.

Bell is key to getting sleeves to Freo. Pav has no desire to do anything at Freo. Was a champion of the club, but once his career finished he was always going to get involved with media. Bell to replace Rosich and sleeves to replace Ross.

Bell is key to getting sleeves to Freo. Pav has no desire to do anything at Freo. Was a champion of the club, but once his career finished he was always going to get involved with media. Bell to replace Rosich and sleeves to replace Ross.

Think we’d be silly not to entertain Kirk first.

- Lyon states he will be coaching next year. “I’ll be around in 2020” - but will it be at Freo?
- Had a cuppa and spoke with Stephen Silvagni in Melbourne, no one has asked him about this, why not?
- David Teague was all but ruled out by influential Carlton board member Chris ‘Twigley’ Judd, saying that Carlton’s next coach will be an experienced coach, who is available? Has Carlton spoken to someone? 🤔
- NM are thus still looking for their next coach, reckon the way it’s panning out that Shaw will get the gig with some big assistants.

I don’t know but I reckon something is going on, Freo are definitely not jumping at shadows like previous administrations - Peter Bell holds a steadying influence and the board is choc full of Freo people.
Just an assumption, reckon there is mutual respect with Lyon and the board and not being able to be sacked in written into an clause/ strategy somewhere.
He has to be in the mix at Carlton and if they don’t appoint a senior coach before the end of the home and away season, s**t may be going on.
Amicable separation by way of him going back to Melbourne for reasons and Freo seeking a new direction.
Either way if we show minimal improvement over the next month, the drums will get louder and the impetus for change will be undeniable to give reason for change.

Not sure how much of that will end up being true, but if Carlton aren't throwing a long term big sum of money deal at Lyon I'd be surprised. It wont mean much now, but come end of season, if we don't give him signs of commiting beyond 2020, he might work out a way to get himself to Carlton. Wouldn't surprise me. Think Ross would like the opportunity to coach a team with so much young talent too. I know we have our own fair share, but Ross bangs on about all those high draft picks - get the impression he's a little jealous myself.

What a dreadful idea. Not only do we go for a rookie coach, but then we create maximum upheaval along with it by putting Bell into a position he also has minimal experience of and also have to find a new Director of Football Operations.

The only way you bring in a rookie coach is if you have a stable club with the capacity to put a strong support team around them.

What a dreadful idea. Not only do we go for a rookie coach, but then we create maximum upheaval along with it by putting Bell into a position he also has minimal experience of and also have to find a new Director of Football Operations.

The only way you bring in a rookie coach is if you have a stable club with the capacity to put a strong support team around them.

Dreadful? That’s how I would describe the last 3 years...the development of our youth...the stability of our club.

Fagan took a young raw team and turned them into a top 4 side. Teague & Shaw are exceeding expectations.

Freo needs a fresh start, our game plan is outdated. Ross has no plan B when he is challenged. I will agree he doesn’t have the support, but he hand picked some of the assistants along with that snake Rosich.

Bell has already been mentioned to take over as CEO and he has the nous to succeed. I’d prefer Caracella as coach, but I can’t see him coming out west.

Sleeves has a good CV. What he did with the defence on Friday night after losing a KPP early and keeping WC scoreless for 43mins after we got rolled by 91 points IN THE WET, was outstanding.

Happy to go with a rookie coach and actually start a rebuild.

Can anyone remind me why Rosich is so reviled by some people?

Because it it's anything to do with Harvey's sacking...that was a near-universally loved move from mid 2012 onwards. Most saw it as the club finally growing a set and going for an experienced, proven coach.

Not worried. Too late in the season to be doing a sacking now. What’s the point.. The club no doubt know what they’re doing post 2019. There’s plans. Freo have a lot of heritage people on board.
After all, it was the same club that initiated and got Ross over post 2011... they’re some savy businessmen, that’s being nice. The people aren’t going to stop being ruthless or just an one off in 2011.
Who gives a crap that Ross has those meetings etc. the interesting thing is Carlton are playing some great footy, free flowing and breath of life under Teague. If they had signed Ross, the players won’t warm to it, whatsoever. They’ll get a shock.

It’d be dumb to suggest the club don’t have PTIs this year. It does The draw we got, is actually inexcusable for there not to be one. That’s the letdown as well. No trip to Sydney, Geelong, Richmond at MCG. Avoided all those disastrous away teams, well on paper. Only trips to Gold Coast and GWS. Got the favoured teams here in Perth.

Because it it's anything to do with Harvey's sacking...that was a near-universally loved move from mid 2012 onwards. Most saw it as the club finally growing a set and going for an experienced, proven coach.

Harvey had lost the respect of the players and it was time to find a replacement. In this scenario it’s a lot different, the players respect Ross, but unfortunately his game plan doesn’t hold up.

On Rosich he has gone over the heads of many staff members at the club. Stuck his nose in at draft deals that have backfired and put the blame sorely on Lloyd or Bond. He has defended Ross against assistants/staff/players even though he had clearly crossed the line.

Bell came into the club prior to the draft. Same thing occurred. Ross has stated in the past he has nothing to do with any draft prospects...BS...on numerous occasions he has thrown his weight behind a pick and to get it over the line Rosich had given it the seal of approval and went over the head of list management. Ie. Bennell & Simpson.

The Hogan deal was another prime example. Ross wanted him at Freo. Bell put a line through the trade. Rosich got involved, went over Bells head and signed him. The club can’t function like this anymore, time to move them on.

Harvey had lost the respect of the players and it was time to find a replacement. In this scenario it’s a lot different, the players respect Ross, but unfortunately his game plan doesn’t hold up.

On Rosich he has gone over the heads of many staff members at the club. Stuck his nose in at draft deals that have backfired and put the blame sorely on Lloyd or Bond. He has defended Ross against assistants/staff/players even though he had clearly crossed the line.

Bell came into the club prior to the draft. Same thing occurred. Ross has stated in the past he has nothing to do with any draft prospects...BS...on numerous occasions he has thrown his weight behind a pick and to get it over the line Rosich had given it the seal of approval and went over the head of list management. Ie. Bennell & Simpson.

The Hogan deal was another prime example. Ross wanted him at Freo. Bell put a line through the trade. Rosich got involved, went over Bells head and signed him. The club can’t function like this anymore, time to move them on.

Sounds like speculation to me. How could you possibly know any of that it true?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice fan fiction but not remotely true.

Sure if your going to try an assistant why not try one of your own first
Fairly sure jlos great mates with bell though so whether or not they want to work with each other in the afl environment is a different story
Think of mayne as an example, Lyon couldn’t get anything outta him then jogs off to the pies and bucks couldn’t get anything outta him for the first year then Longy comes across and transforms him
Knows alot to do with the mental side of the game and connects with the players instead of casting them aside like deboar/mayne

Hehehe

I reckon if ross goes they should go after Stewart dew

He’s a good coach I reckon he’s actually over achieving with suns list. There probably only 10 players on there list that would play get a game at other clubs...

If they go young longmuir

I'm down with that, Sir Deadly.

Anyone who saw the recent replay of the 2010 final against Hawthorn saw what we want - exciting, risk-taking, confident attacking footy. Anyone who supported the club up to 2012, who remained rusted on through 16 odd years of no success, also knows what they really want - to be entertained, * it. To see some flash and dare and fundamentally Freo excitement.

Are we an elite, success-driven, emotion-free machine who exists solely to extract money from fast food joints and milk the unfortunate? No.
Are we historically linked with the weird, the unusual, the freaky and the free? Yes.
What then is our, ahem, "point of difference" in the market place?

I'll tell you.

Fruitiness.

Let us embrace our fruitiness. Let our freak flag fly. Recruit - exclusively - weirdos and nutjobs who either like to kill people or vacillate between the berserk and the sublime. Let the Clives of the future climb all over the packs of tomorrow, eyes closed, ill prepared, uncaring, undaunted by the brute fist of reality pounding him in the face over and over and over. Let the Koops of tomorrow flash across our metaphorical sky, taking hangs so huge they have to bend down midair to scoop up the pill. Let the Jeffrey Farmers of the world come to us, knowing they have found haven to freak the * out and just carve up the paddock.

Get me a coach who will let me see this sort of thing:

Caracella with McIntosh and Bolton😜 Kamdyn is 6'3 90kg and playing on the wing, yet Ross plays Langdon there.
I think half our issues are placement.
Never seen a softer Freo team, and then Ross complains about Fyfe getting tagged?
We have some solid medium talls, how about we go back to basics and tackle, play them to advantage.

Bell is barely qualified for his current role - CEO qualified he is not. Perhaps he could be the president. Love the bloke but talk of promoting him beyond his current role is premature for the next 5-7 years.

Wow.
Does everything else you conjure up inside your head play out in real life too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back