Who should coach Freo in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should they? They’ve probably donated millions already. It’s not their club and it’s not their problem. They’re more likely to say, “we’ll have to pull our sponsorship unless you fix this s**t. We’re not having our brand associated with this.”
I wouldn’t think these companies would wait until their sponsorship contract is over and voting with their feet so to speak, and Woodside have only just resigned, but none would want to be associated with a team that puts their name out there on the back of these shocking performances, you can only do that so many times I’d think.

Lyon will coach in 2020 and Bell should spend as much time as he can between now and then scouting out the future. The last few weeks may actually turn out to be a blessing in disguise, the risk was the board moving too early to give him an extension to 2023 or something stupid on the basis of a few good wins. This is an opportunity and if the board has any ******* clue they will use it. Never waste a good crisis.

We have heard all the if, buts and maybes for years. We have barely won a derby since Simpson arrived and it is obvious our system ( if we actually have one) and his philosophies struggle to produce a sustainable style of football in this era. If I was a WC supporter , I would want us to keep Ross as well. We are a frigging joke.

For the record, Freo won the first 3 derbies when both Lyon and Simpson were coaching ... when Freo were the better team.
Since then, West Coast/Simpson have won the next 9 ... when the Eagles have been ranked the better team.

Likewise with Hawthorn/Clarkson vs Fremantle/Lyon. They have played 10 times and Hawthorn have won 9 of them, but they were ranked the better team in all of those years (2012 onwards). And from 2007-2011, when Lyon coached St Kilda & Clarkson coached Hawthorn, they had 7 Games, 3wins, 1draw, 3losses with St Kilda being ranked the better team for just 2 of those games.

These sort of statistics are not unusual. If Fremantle (or Lyon coached teams) were regularly finishing above an opposition coach and still losing, then that would be supporting data to criticise system/game plan.

After Sumich and Lyon fell out.

Sumich leaked the story about Lyon and the young female employee.

Also, he was leaking other stuff as well.

The club sacked him straight away.

Other clubs weren’t impressed with that.

Impressed with Sumichs actions or Freo sacking him straight away?

I'm in the earl gray brigade, put her in charge of strength and conditioning!
Earl Gray is known to have very positive effects on feet and is used by podiatrists the world over.

For the record, Freo won the first 3 derbies when both Lyon and Simpson were coaching ... when Freo were the better team.
Since then, West Coast/Simpson have won the next 9 ... when the Eagles have been ranked the better team.

Likewise with Hawthorn/Clarkson vs Fremantle/Lyon. They have played 10 times and Hawthorn have won 9 of them, but they were ranked the better team in all of those years (2012 onwards). And from 2007-2011, when Lyon coached St Kilda & Clarkson coached Hawthorn, they had 7 Games, 3wins, 1draw, 3losses with St Kilda being ranked the better team for just 2 of those games.

These sort of statistics are not unusual. If Fremantle (or Lyon coached teams) were regularly finishing above an opposition coach and still losing, then that would be supporting data to criticise system/game plan.
Does it not concern you that Westcoast have been ranked a better team for 4.5 years and on the back off tonight for probably at least 3 more..?

Whose fault is that?

Does it not concern you that Westcoast have been ranked a better team for 4.5 years and on the back off tonight for probably at least 3 more..?

Whose fault is that?
I very much doubt it is one person’s fault. West Coast have been the better team for most of Freo’s existance.

whether its because Ross doesn't get along with other assistants, we can't lure them across the nullabor or we are being cheapskates with our footy department budget, our lack of coaching depth has been an issue for ages. Doesn't matter who's coaching us next year or the year after if we keep neglecting this and just have one guy running the show essentially. I don't care if we go for an inexperienced coach so long as he (she?)'s committed, open to ideas, has some ideas of their own and capable of developing people. Then you actually need to bring in experienced people around them or up and comers who are clued into modern football. Whether this requires splashing more money to lure people over or going after WA people, ex eagles included (excluding sumich maybe) I dont know. We have a few people who have been involved with success as players (Bell, the Hawthorn guys) but i always got the feeling that we've always been floundering because people in charge don't actually know how to plan long term for a premiership because no ones actually done it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I very much doubt it is one person’s fault. West Coast have been the better team for most of Freo’s existance.
Understandable for the first 5 to 10 years of a new clubs existence but no excuse now and surely you should know that the buck stops with the coach and he hasn’t developed the list even after been given all the tools and one of the best facilities in the land

How far do you want to fall? The club should of gone down the Tigers, Pies path, instead we have moved the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Ross the Boss mantra is what got us to this spot in the first place.
Tell him straight up his time leading the club, coaching is over, help transition, move aside for someone else or
quit. Offer him the director of coaching role, mentor, whatever you want to call it, but we need a new direction
now.
Caracella, Kirk, JLo, ?, Have to start ASAP, we have seen what a change in coach did for Roo's, Blues, no point
In waiting till mid next year, it's a rescue now.
Jlo for me. But what Ross did in 2012, Jlo needs to do that. That’s when the club became ruthless and took no prisoners. Feels like Ross softened that approach, listened to the critics.
Hate that he did. Letting his inept assistants take control, was the biggest mistake he’d make as a coach. Let his mantra go, started being emotional.

Report if you think i am trolling dockshark can help out there
It is deplorable to think that sexual harassment should be kept quiet and that people that speak up about it should be black listed

Nice to see you have learnt to differentiate between sexual assault and sexual harassment at least champ'o

When we eventually get a new coach whether it is soon or ages away Sumich won’t be in the last few candidates.

Got a feeling it’ll be Longmuir if it’s this year.

Matty Scarlett would be my choice if we could ever convince him to leave Geelong and with Scott having such a long term deal in place he just might

Ticks all the boxes as far as I can tell

Been an integral part of a successful team , winning culture

Smart articulate guy

Couple of years assistant coaching and has his unit one of the best in the AFL

Just the right amount of campaigner in him to be a good head coach

Doesn't really matter who is head coach imo (within reason). In well run clubs I reckon the influence of the head coach is massively overrated by the fans/media. The biggest plus from turfing Ross would probably just be the ability to have a clean slate.

If we don't get a better team of assistants around whoever has the main job next year I think it's curtains for the entire upper echelons of the club. I understand it might be trickier being a WA club but our current coaching team simply hasn't been good enough for years now. You can see it when in certain match-ups (like West Coast) we fall apart in exactly the same ways year on year without seemingly learning a thing.

Sumich leaked the story about Lyon and the young female employee.
Clubs don’t want coaches who leak to the media.
They nearly had a punch up, and it's happened before with Rossco.
The fact that Sumich used this as a weapon is deplorable.
I read somewhere on here that the female employee is Sumich's daughter.
If true you can see why there was bad blood.

Get in before Woosha goes the same way as Lyon, yesterday's heroes, and I rate Woosh higher than Sumich.
Caracella coached by Sheedy, Mathews, Malthouse, I think 4 playing GF? 2 in the coaches box with Scott, Hardwick.
Played as a forward, and was a smart user of the ball.
That's the type of pedigree we need.
Someone who has preferably played in winning GF teams. And in the recent past, being part of a team that has developed a tactic to beat the Clarkson style of play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back