Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

Who should replace Michael O’Brien as Victorian Liberal leader?

• Peta Credlin

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Peter Costello

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Matthew Guy

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Tim Smith

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Jeff Kennett

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Inanimate Carbon Rod

Votes: 28 42.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Do they even have a path back to being a reasonably sensible party in this state? I imagine that membership bedrock of old-money, Eastern suburbs moderates must be slowly dying off or lapsing when they keep pulling sh*t like this.

Will be left with just the religious whackjobs and Sky News cultists calling the shots internally, neither of which have the self-awareness to moderate themselves.

the scary thing is alp/green people are actually talking as if they think Higgins and Kooyong will be in play next election, with grassroot movements already gearing up

this is pretty much part off the Frydo attitude to Vic during the pandemic, but a massive part the incompetence of the state libs. the faux trump tactics are going down very badly in what is liberal heartland

I still think they will hold, but ffs this shouldnt even a discussion

Only yesterday morning I was thinking - they're not popular but people are fed up, not politically engaged enough to realise just how s**t they are and will vote for an alternative. The 'Royal Commission' that Sky are pushing would help gain votes as well. Then they pull this stunt. Absolutely bemusing. This rumour is everywhere and now has the Vic Libs written all over it. I get they were trying to appeal to the right wing nut jobs we've gained (thanks Avi) but linking themselves to it is political suicide like I've never seen.

Do they even have a path back to being a reasonably sensible party in this state? I imagine that membership bedrock of old-money, Eastern suburbs moderates must be slowly dying off or lapsing when they keep pulling sh*t like this.

Will be left with just the religious whackjobs and Sky News cultists calling the shots internally, neither of which have the self-awareness to moderate themselves.
The Religious far right and QAnon nutters have infiltrated their party

The have ensured another easy win for Labor

the scary thing is alp/green people are actually talking as if they think Higgins and Kooyong will be in play next election, with grassroot movements already gearing up

this is pretty much part off the Frydo attitude to Vic during the pandemic, but a massive part the incompetence of the state libs. the faux trump tactics are going down very badly in what is liberal heartland

I still think they will hold, but ffs this shouldnt even a discussion
Shouldn't it? Frydenberg had a 7.6% swing against him in 2019 and Katie Allen had a 6.1% swing against her, leaving them with margins of 5.7% and 3.9% respectively. That tells you this trend isn't just a result of Covid, it started a few years prior.

Shouldn't it? Frydenberg had a 7.6% swing against him in 2019 and Katie Allen had a 6.1% swing against her, leaving them with margins of 5.7% and 3.9% respectively. That tells you this trend isn't just a result of Covid, it started a few years prior.

no.

you need to think of these swings like a tide. you have a low tide and a high tide, but it takes something extraordinary to push beyond those normal thresholds

2019 was the "melbournians are afraid to go to restaurants" election, which had a big inner east backlash. the bulk of the available swinging voters moved then.

most of the lib vote remaining is rusted on, so its much harder to get the remaining 6% needed

2019 was the "melbournians are afraid to go to restaurants" election, which had a big inner east backlash. the bulk of the available swinging voters moved then.

most of the lib vote remaining is rusted on, so its much harder to get the remaining 6% needed
You might be right, but what evidence do you have to support this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might be right, but what evidence do you have to support this?

im not gunna dig out the math (sat morning, cant be ****ed :p) but its only a small ratio of voters who are genuine swinging voters (20-30% off mem, but dont quote - rusty memory)

also look at the suburbs they hold. reality is yes there are progressive conservatives in Glen Iris, Malvern, Armadale, and Toorak, but they are still a minority to the peeps who want to keep all their money and think people on welfare are leaners who choose to be poor.

the first group may move, no chance on the second

also remember the redistribution. Higgins is losing progressive Prahran for Caulfield

Questions Dan Andrews has no option but to answer with complete honesty and until he does there is a cloud over his position

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Is she really going out with him?

Dude Where’s my Car?
Does he have an alibi for the kennedy shooting? Isnt it a fact he hurt himself stopping elvis escaping?

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely it can be hard to find someone who knows what they are doing to kick out the useless labour government

guess this is what it is like federal labour supporter's

African gangs, Dan Andrews conspiracies lol.
The Vic libs are going in the same direction as the WA libs- to oblivion.

Yeah, I thought after the last election that they might straighten up in a back-to-basics approach. But it appears they've gone even further to populism and conspiracies.

It really doesn't help that their political arm is full of complete nuffies. But that's the nature of the Vic Libs. Anyone who would make a good state MP isn't going to take a pay-cut like that. So you get the Lib members who couldn't get a job at Daddy's firm or their friends' firms.

Plus the religious nutter infiltration, the place is ripe to be taken over by a Messianic type. I reckon they'll try to pull a Trump and somebody like Credlin will be exalted by the media as the next coming.

Yeah, I thought after the last election that they might straighten up in a back-to-basics approach. But it appears they've gone even further to populism and conspiracies.

It really doesn't help that their political arm is full of complete nuffies. But that's the nature of the Vic Libs. Anyone who would make a good state MP isn't going to take a pay-cut like that. So you get the Lib members who couldn't get a job at Daddy's firm or their friends' firms.

Plus the religious nutter infiltration, the place is ripe to be taken over by a Messianic type. I reckon they'll try to pull a Trump and somebody like Credlin will be exalted by the media as the next coming.
I hope credlin gets in. She will make a fool of herself.

I hope credlin gets in. She will make a fool of herself.

I don't think she'll degrade herself to state politics. State MP in opposition (even as leader) is a huge step down from her current and previous standings in the LNP.

I think it will be somebody like her. Even a Steve Price or some other media person who doesn't pretend to be impartial any more. (Tony Tardio maybe.....)

An SA Senator has been running round fundie churches signing up members and then having a tanty because having seen the state of the Victorian and WA Libs the state branch is refusing to accept their membership. One thing they have got right though, SA government is decided by only five thousand local party members across the board, it's ripe for exploitation.

This is becoming an increasingly common theme among centre-right and right parties when they fail electorally. It's what the GOP did after 2008 and 2012.

This is becoming an increasingly common theme among centre-right and right parties when they fail electorally. It's what the GOP did after 2008 and 2012.
If Labor scrapes into government at the next election we'll see a rerun of the Gillard government isn't legitimate bullshit that the Libs in opposition spent three years trying to propagate on steroids. I'm genuinely concerned about what they might try. To get any clear air they will need a big majority otherwise the party that currently governs by one seat, aided by their enablers in the media will just try to undermine their authority.

Back