Strategy Why are we so reluctant to play Reid forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sure he did it in the goal square at Full Forward.......pinged it on his first lead!

It was at my end of the ground.....same game Beams got injured and we got pumped!!!

I was sure he played forward that night mike123 but happy to be corrected!
I'm not denying that I remember that game. Reid played forward got injured, Armstrong was then subbed on and played 8 quarters that day.

I'm just saying playing forward isn't the reason he did his hammy.

Can't move Reid forward, it's robbing Peter to pay Paul!
The only option is to switch white and Reid but that is fraught with danger as White has struggled in the back half when played there.
The key is Jamie Elliott back into the side, not KPF but so important to the forward line

It's the same arguement as Rocca was our best ruckmen until Jolly. It's more important to be solid down back (particularly in finals) and rebound. Reid, when fit is one of the most damaging CHBs in the league. We've had a lot upheaval in the back half and until we get some stability down there you can't move him anywhere.

The other issue is he tends to get injured, maybe be better for his body down back.

Ridiculous answer. Have a think about it.

Exert much greater effort trying to catch up and then "keep" up with a fast forward, then when you do the leading yourself at your own timing. Both ends require you to harass and tackle. As a defender he has to sit in the hole and get smashed as a fwd he does the smashing...

Reid when injury free like he apparently is now, is no more or no less at an increased risk to do a soft tissue injury as a forward or as a defender.

Keep in mind he spent a whole year originally re injuring it as a defender and then later another season when trying to be a fwd.

Also we really have no idea of his true scope as a fwd as he has never gotten a consistent run of games there due injury.

Reid is so underdone at the moment its ridiculous. He has missed over 100 potential games in his career. He is 27 and should be at his physical peak. He has lost his speed, explosiveness and agility. Realistically its not coming back.

We'd have the most depressing backline of all time if Reid went forward.

Howe is in AA form.

Franklin will likely kick 4-6 vs anyone we put on him.

We have no genuine KPF atm as Moore is not ready and needs help?

Ben Reid is a very capable lead up forward.

They are using Reid in a lock down role so far? taking away his usual intecept marking and rebounding ability anyway (which is ok due to Howe).

Dunn in Reid forward simple move that works on many levels. To stop Franklin and SReid we need to defend well as a team.

Last edited:
Reid is a very good CHB who can pinch hit forward. Even if he was a quality consistent forward, he is desperately needed down back where we sadly lack class. Howe and Reid have to play back.

I'd also like to add with the shitfully uninspiring way Collingwood like to bring the ball into our forward 50 will actually work best with a player like Reid because he is a player who can actually win a contest. Moore is simply not old enough and lacks the physical presence to be able to take contested marks against quality opposition.

I'd also like to add with the shitfully uninspiring way Collingwood like to bring the ball into our forward 50 will actually work best with a player like Reid because he is a player who can actually win a contest. Moore is simply not old enough and lacks the physical presence to be able to take contested marks against quality opposition.

He took an equal game high 3 contested marks last week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's getting smashed and pushed around in marking contests more than ever in the backline? What would be so different down the other end of the ground?

Probably be better off in the forward line since there's hardly anyone in it.
I could be wrong, but I seem to remember the club saying that his body was more likely to stand up playing in defence where he could play a straight ahead type of game.

He took an equal game high 3 contested marks last week?
0 of which converted into a goal. Count all the dropped marks hes taking in the goal square and you'll see what i'm saying. I'm not knocking him as I think hes a very talented individual but you'd be blind not to acknowledge that week in week out he drops marks he could be taking.

Well, I think it has taken the last two games to establish that if we are down by a few goals at three quarter time then our current forward setup won't get us over the line. I suspect we will see it happen the next time we are in the same position. Howe has taken over from Reid as that intercept mark player and Reid is too classy to be shut down defender. Need Keefe to come on

I agree Reid to me looks like a WCE Kennedy style forward and the 9 games for 20 goals was a good return in the short time he was there permanently. I like the idea of a half back line of Scharenberg, Howe, Varcoe. I think it would mean dropping Schade for Dunn to play on bigger forwards but a forwardline with Reid and Moore in it is a lot more potent.

I'm just happy to have him on the field TBH, but at the very least he should've been swung forward during the last qtr of our opening 2 games.

Thing is, with our current midfield dominance we need to make the most of our I50s and having Reid fwd would help with that, need to kick a score to win a game.

There is a perceptual link between Reid's injuries and the forward line that I don't think will be overcome.
He is playing quite well where he is, and we can expect him to get better. (His kicking was well below his normal quality last game)
Positional adjustments are not what this side needs. If they were only disposing of the ball confidently, they would be doing fine.

Watching the first 2 games i don't think Reid was the make or break of our defence, Howe has been imo and Goldsack's work on Riewoldt especially in the first half was top notch.

If our ball movement is to remain the same, we simply cannot keep playing Darcy Moore deep, it requires a bigger body, releasing Darc to work up the ground and back with the flight of the ball, coming in from the side and taking grabs. As it stands right now he is the one doing the grappling in the fwd 50 with stronger opponents. That's not his game.

So it's either Mason Cox back to FF or Reid to FF.

On the Couch raised an interesting stat, our conversion through Reid (albeit a small sample size) is higher than any other forward in the last 5-6 years.

We conceded 100 points to the Dogs who were the lowest scoring finals team, while only scoring 86 points from nearly 20 extra inside 50's.

If we cannot put a potent forward line together we simply will not win games, We are certainly getting enough inside 50's, as long as the midfield limit the amount of inside 50's to our opponents i think this can offset Reid not being down back.

I'm for it.

Can someone please write me an executive summary of the op.
Y we no play Reid forward? We pley Keeffe or Dunn bak and give Morre suport. We get sum gols and win teh gams. Yas?

(Disclaimer: I'm not trying to take a crack at your OP Temploar I was just dumbing it down so doodles98 could understand. He can be a bit slow. <3 u doodles.)

Hey look, Mick McGuane reads bigfooty.

Hours after this thread started this article popped up;

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...r/news-story/46a8e512ad7d888d6cc3fe94a149b72f

He's not totally wrong about playing with a little more flair and attack though. We hesitate with our ball movement way too much.

Ben Reid has the best goal average of all pie KPP at collingwood and was better then Cloke too.

There is a genuine argument for his move fwd it is not an experimental move, also we have had 2 rounds where we dominate f50 time and have had a lot of supply for little return, our structures are rat s**t without a genuine KPF target.

BTW D.Moore has ave 9 disposals a game IN ALL competitions he has played in that includes tac cup.

HE is not a natural big ball winner and has a long way to go to become the number 1 banana, people arguing he marked 3 contested balls on the weekend need to look at how many he DROPPED or was completely just moved off his line brushed aside. He is a talent and will improve but he is not ready.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back