Media Why Expansion is Narrowing Our Minds

Remove this Banner Ad

A few people saying they want expansion makes it relevant. Don't hide behind the fact you had absolutely no clue what was being discussed around the board, yet still questioned the relevance of my thread.

Nup. If half the competition was calling for expansion or there was a surplus of activity then it would be relevent. The majority of the committee having no opinion or being against the idea doesn't help either.

Well the stats don't lie as they are facts, but the interpretation of the stats certainly does. Mobbs even acknowledged that the state of origin series attracts less interest as it is the off season.

I will use the Mount Buller Demons as an example as to why we do not need expansion at this point. When I had my brief stint as captain, it was after everybody jumped ship to other teams. Because the activity was dropping, more and more players dropped ship. This is despite the fact that logically, it would open up better positions.

At this point in the competition, the best posters in the league/teams could still move to one of the more inactive sides and demand a very good position. I am not fanciful enough to suggest that teams will ever have 15 highly active posters. But until we have a position where quality posters are forced to play in the backline, and no other teams could fit them in a good position either, then we do not need a new team.

No one has argued with the statistics that Mobbs bought up and it is good to see someone monitoring the situation. I just disagree with the interpretation, which is only my opinion.

I left the Demons as the league's highest goal scorer at full forward. I was captain. I could have played anywhere I wanted. But my enjoyment was gone, so I resigned as captain and joined another team who were more fun and active at that time.

What we need to investigate about new teams:
1) Will they bring in new posters
2) Will it expose the SFA to a new audience
3) long - term, will they be able to tap these resources, or end up relying on new sign ups?
4) How much do we predict activity to rise over the next 3 seasons?
5) What will the impacts be on current clubs over the next 3 seasons based on the potential activity rise, and the effects of the new club?

It is a difficult issue, and one that needs to be considered carefully.

Once again, you've turned a thread about the SFA in general into a thread about you. It's little wonder why you were disliked so much by a large portion of the SFA community.

Your example here is pretty outdated. I've got no idea how active previous seasons were since I wasn't around...

Other posters jumping ship could also be attributed to posters feeling like the club is going under due to the captain jumping ship.

Please don't contradict yourself.

My issue is with relevance which I was I posted accordingly. In terms of for and against for this argument I am on the same side as you.

Once again, you've turned a thread about the SFA in general into a thread about you. It's little wonder why you were disliked so much by a large portion of the SFA community.

Given this is an opinion piece, LJ, I was drawing on MY experiences. Just like YOU would have if you had a comprehension of grammar above.

Put simply, the thread was an opinion piece to generate discussion (as it has). Everyone's opinion will be personal. The only one who has turned the thread into something else is you by attacking it. Nobody else seems to have a problem discussing the issue that is supported by the creator of the sim and the person that runs the league.

I know that these days you post rarely and try to make up for it with what you post. But if you want to take pot shots, you should make sure you know where you are aiming.

You idiot.

I was talking about drawing on my own interpretations of the "State of the SFA" thread, in which most poster who have been around for a long time stated that S14 ha probably been the most active season for a long time.

Even though I haven't been around for longer than a season, your last appearance was over a season ago so I really have more of a right to talk about activity in terms of relevancy to the present.

Asides from this you didn't actually address anything in my post, so good on you spud

Someone dig up beez's thread with all that info for me please.
Pretty colours everywhere...

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=916380

tpp.png

Thanks beez. The only team that is at less than 10 atm is the Roys, and they've picked up 2 good posters and had Mobbs return.

The time is now.

As for the bye Eq. I don't see the problem. Half the SFA post in everyone elses team threads anyway. With the bye, everyone playing each other once means 16 rounds... which would be perfect in length too. For mine all it is now is for a respected poster (ClarkeM I'm looking at you) to put together a proposal and recruit a few new faces.

And then have fun trying to win Ljp over :p

Given this is an opinion piece, LJ, I was drawing on MY experiences. Just like YOU would have if you had a comprehension of grammar above.

Put simply, the thread was an opinion piece to generate discussion (as it has). Everyone's opinion will be personal. The only one who has turned the thread into something else is you by attacking it. Nobody else seems to have a problem discussing the issue that is supported by the creator of the sim and the person that runs the league.

I know that these days you post rarely and try to make up for it with what you post. But if you want to take pot shots, you should make sure you know where you are aiming.

Nice try but I think you need to realise the SFA doesn't revolve around you. I would have thought after several attempts at playing here you would have realised that but the message doesn't seem to have gotten through.

Sure, you've made an opinion piece but rather than linking it to some more recent examples you go all the way back to when you were you playing at the Demons at least three or four seasons ago and make more references to yourself. I may have taken the thread in a slightly different direction by making comments about its relevence but to start a thread and now crap on about when I was at the Dees blah blah blah...No-one gives a s**t what you did three or four seasons ago.

You argue about relevence and then your additional argument is stuff that happened two years ago. Get a clue.

Nice try but I think you need to realise the SFA doesn't revolve around you. I would have thought after several attempts at playing here you would have realised that but the message doesn't seem to have gotten through.

Sure, you've made an opinion piece but rather than linking it to some more recent examples you go all the way back to when you were you playing at the Demons at least three or four seasons ago and make more references to yourself. I may have taken the thread in a slightly different direction by making comments about its relevence but to start a thread and now crap on about when I was at the Dees blah blah blah...No-one gives a s**t what you did three or four seasons ago.

You argue about relevence and then your additional argument is stuff that happened two years ago. Get a clue.

LJ, it was in response to a post claiming that no player would stick around at a club if they had to play back flank. The issue was that apparently the position on the ground is more important to players than activity at the club.

Given it was my opinion, I told a story from my experiences. Even though I was full forward all year and won the goal kicking, I left my club because I wasn't enjoying it anymore due to lack of enjoyment. At which point you promptly recruited me, and I had a much more enjoyable season at the Dragons. It was an example that activity can mean a lot more to a players enjoyment.

I know the SFA doesn't revolve around me, hence I have tried to actually contribute to the league by opening this up for discussion/opinion. Whereas you sit in the trenches throwing stones.

I think your hate of expansion is narrowing your view here Ljp.

I agree with a lot of what okey says, and considering I was one of the leaders for the Trolls bid I think it's fair to say I'm qualified to call it a hate of yours.

Although; for the record I think you'll find a lot of Trolls posters would have stuck around for the Trolls.

We had a group of 8-10 or so contributors but were met with what are now clear to be outrageous demands of needing 15+ regulars to be considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think your hate of expansion is narrowing your view here Ljp.

I agree with a lot of what okey says, and considering I was one of the leaders for the Trolls bid I think it's fair to say I'm qualified to call it a hate of yours.

Although; for the record I think you'll find a lot of Trolls posters would have stuck around for the Trolls.

We had a group of 8-10 or so contributors but were met with what are now clear to be outrageous demands of needing 15+ regulars to be considered.

I don't hate expansion, it just needs to be at the right time and that time isn't now because there are other sides who need a few new posters to boost their numbers. Expansion hasn't worked too well here in the past because the SFA has been too keen to do so and have done it too quickly. We've got out to ten teams (with a bot team included) and it's quickly gone back to eight each time. And with many not wanting a bye then we're required to form two new sides which is in effect at least 12-14 fresh posters per team.

Anyone who thinks that 8-10 posters to start a new team is kidding themselves, you'll need at least 12-14 or more to start off with and then adjust for depreciation as the season progresses.

Anyone who thinks that 8-10 posters to start a new team is kidding themselves, you'll need at least 12-14 or more to start off with and then adjust for depreciation as the season progresses.

I would largely agree with that point A new team would actually need more committed posters than existing teams to be considered. Otherwise, the topping up of the list will simply come at the expense of existing teams, so the new team becomes a long term nuisance.

I love the idea of the excitement that a new team could bring, but the only way it could be considered would be if it brought in a new wave of posters, and opened the way into a new wave of posters long term.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back