Why has the Anzac Day game slowly morphed into a twilight fixture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was going to start a more generic thread about start times for day games at the G in autumn.

With the height of the northern stands, shadows play a big part. We should be maximising the amount of time the ground is bathed in sunshine on such a beautiful autumn day. Start at 1:30 even.
The Geelong Hawks game was a great example. Beautiful day, sun shining yet it's almost dark come half time. The timeslot also makes it less attractive for Cats fans to travel home with all the extra holiday traffic (and less frequent public transport) in the evening as opposed to late afternoon.
If the game had been a 1:15 start I reckon there would have been 5k extra Geelong supporters at the game, not to mention a better spectacle overall with the superior red footies in natural light.

Not our Sundays!
I just noticed and am outraged that the 'Country game' has taken over our 3.20 Sunday slot next weekend.

Also it really is an AFL decision making special to have the 'Country game' finishing at 6pm on a Sunday

What is weirder is when the AFL schedules overlapping games when they could have easily avoided doing so. Multiple times today there has been overlapped games when there was space earlier.

Yeah, it's miserable viewing as it is, let alone spending what IMO should be leisure time on it.

It's an interesting question. When I'm round at the in-laws for dinner and the news is going, I'd say it's 75% stuff that I saw/heard about 6+ hours earlier. It's pointless these days. I understand that it's part of a retiree's routine, but at some point, the 5pm/6pm news will have to become extinct, right? It will be a 24 hour news station and digital media.

And there is no good reason for news broadcasts to show the weather anymore. They do it because that's what they've always done.

It's an interesting question. When I'm round at the in-laws for dinner and the news is going, I'd say it's 75% stuff that I saw/heard about 6+ hours earlier. It's pointless these days. I understand that it's part of a retiree's routine, but at some point, the 5pm/6pm news will have to become extinct, right? It will be a 24 hour news station and digital media.

And there is no good reason for news broadcasts to show the weather anymore. They do it because that's what they've always done.

If we got rid of the nightly news on FTA television, along with actual newspapers and magazines, it would put people out of jobs, but the actual day-to-day running of the world probably wouldn't miss a beat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. The cattery game should have been early start

How often do the Western Australian teams get the ‘early’ games?

Can’t imagine a 1:10pm game start in Geelong would be too popular with fans in the West.

I can just imagine the thread full of West Coast supporters complaining they have to watch there team at 11am on a Sunday.

How often do the Western Australian teams get the ‘early’ games?

Can’t imagine a 1:10pm game start in Geelong would be too popular with fans in the West.

I can just imagine the thread full of West Coast supporters complaining they have to watch there team at 11am on a Sunday.
Happens a few times each year

ANZAC Eve has proved to be an incredible product, the atmosphere with all the twinkling lights during the last post sends a shiver down the spine.

I believe they are moving slowly to copy Rich-Melb's format so as to remain the the premier ANZAC fixture, (which is under threat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back