Analysis Why isn’t McClarty getting a game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Because he isn’t ready! I mean I’m actually confused as to why the question would even be necessary? KPP’s and big bodied mids take longer to break in because there’s less opportunities available at senior level and it takes time for their bodies to be ready for opponents at the next level. We’re at least 12 months away from his progression being an issue.
Thoughts on the delisting?

The Wikipedia entry for Long Way to the Top make me chuckle. It contained this gem

Bagpipes
George Young (the older brother of Angus and Malcolm), having heard that Bon Scott was in a pipe band, encouraged the use of bagpipes in the song. Scott obliged despite having never played them before; he had actually been a drummer in the band.[1] Scott used a set of bagpipes to play the song live until 1976, following an incident where he set them down at the corner of a stage during a gig at St Albans High School in St Albans, Victoria, Australia and they were destroyed by fans.[1][5] Subsequent live performances used a recording of the song's bagpipe part or an extended guitar solo by Angus.[2]

I don't know what is more fun, the idea of one of the great rock bands of all time playing a gig at St Albans High School of ll the places on the planet, or what the students might have done to he unfortunate set of bagpipes.

Found this article on the 40th anniversary.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...e/news-story/5670a5d0dcb785bc4d45283f9ac743fc

Yeah, Bon Scott grew up in Sunshine. I remember rumours that he went to school at Avondale Heights (my local) but I reckon they were BS.

Number 2 has nothing on this alt version. Though no bagpipes.

You’re a talented man OA :p

This is one of my favs, an oldie but a goodie, alas no bagpipes either ...

Thoughts on the delisting?

Not the direction I’d have taken, but no gripe with it.

The writing was on the wall for me quite soon after that post once I’d digested that he had no contract renewal by the finals and both Oxley and Madgen were preferred ahead of him. He won’t receive a second chance and if it weren’t for his size and draft position I doubt many would be giving it a second thought.

Like all our delistees, Oxley aside, I wish him well for the future!

You’re a talented man OA :p

This is one of my favs, an oldie but a goodie, alas no bagpipes either ...

These guys were the support act for Elton John a few years back. Amazing to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is one of our stranger delistings for me.

It's rare-ish that Hine gets it that wrong. Wasn't he our first pick a few years back?

Yeah he was our first pick that year but that pick was 30 overall.

That 2016 national and rookie draft is looking very lean for us.

2016 National draft: McLarty at 30 (gone), Cal Brown - FS bid match at 35 (jury out), Kirby at 50 (gone), Daicos at 57 (jury out)

2016 Rookie draft: Mitch McCarthy (gone), Henry Schade (gone), Liam Mackie (gone), Max Lynch (still on rookie list).

So even though that draft was only 2 years ago we only have 3 players left from 8 selections. Jury is still out on Cal, Josh and Max too.

Not sure we will look back on this draft as Derek's finest work!

2016 National draft: McLarty at 30 (gone), Cal Brown - FS bid match at 35 (jury out), Kirby at 50 (gone), Daicos at 57 (jury out)

2016 Rookie draft: Mitch McCarthy (gone), Henry Schade (gone), Liam Mackie (gone), Max Lynch (still on rookie list).

So even though that draft was only 2 years ago we only have 3 players left from 8 selections. Jury is still out on Cal, Josh and Max too.

Or maybe it shows how smart he is by trading out of the 2016 draft. and trading in established players instead.

As you said, that draft was only two years ago...and we played in the Grand Final this year. Off the top of my head we picked up Trelaor WHE Dunn Mayne Wells and Aish in that period. Sometimes you trade into the draft, sometimes you trade out of it.

Last edited:

You might be right; as long as we look who else (if anyome) makes it from the McLarty pick?

Sometimes it’s lean pickings all round.

You might be right; as long as we look who else (if anyome) makes it from the McLarty pick?

Sometimes it’s lean pickings all round.

I just created a new thread about our 2016 draft and you are right there wasn't a lot on offer at that pick.

Tom Stewart, Shai Bolton, Brennan Cox, Ben Ronke, Sean Darcy to name a few that were still on the board there.

I just created a new thread about our 2016 draft and you are right there wasn't a lot on offer at that pick.

Tom Stewart, Shai Bolton, Brennan Cox, Ben Ronke, Sean Darcy to name a few that were still on the board there.
Just saw it, ta.

Be terrific discussion.

Looks like we have not covered ourselves in glory at this draft though a thin looking draft (two years later view.)

Unfortunately just not good enough to the standard.

Great shame, seemed genuinely great guy and attitude.

Or maybe it shows how smart he is by trading out of the 2016 draft. and trading in established players instead.

As you said, that draft was only two years ago...and we played in the Grand Final this year. Off the top of my head we picked up Trelaor WHE Dunn Mayne Wells and Aish in that period. Sometimes you trade into the draft, sometimes you trade out of it.
It was an unbelievable trade period.

By the way, Callum Brown will make it imo.

That was not aimed at you Timmy but just my opinion.

Not the direction I’d have taken, but no gripe with it.

The writing was on the wall for me quite soon after that post once I’d digested that he had no contract renewal by the finals and both Oxley and Madgen were preferred ahead of him. He won’t receive a second chance and if it weren’t for his size and draft position I doubt many would be giving it a second thought.

Like all our delistees, Oxley aside, I wish him well for the future!
Erm, why the ill-feeling towards Ox?

If there was any justice in this world he’d have been tested the same day as Murray!

Hey Sco you should read his "cleaning of his soul" post on the Pies Board.........too little too late.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back