Why isn't McPharlin AA FB ?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there are always going to be rubbish calls but surely he was a lock.

I love Glass and am extatic he is getting more and more recognition for his great work but he hardly ever took the best forward. Mackenzie takes them most weeks, Brown and Schofield have alos chipped in.

No one doubts that he would beat them but we haven't for development reasons.

McPharlin has provided run off the backline just as Glass has but he took the best forward every week he played. I don't think he got beaten this year at all.

Keep in mind this is from an Eagles supporter backing up a Fremantle player.*

You just showed the world why you were not one of the AA selectors.

both underrated players because of typical Victorian media bias. Bring back state of origin!

McPharlin should've been in AA team without question.

The unfortunate thing is not necessarily that our team finished outside finals, but more importantly that the team is selected after a few finals games.

This in itself can influence judges decisions particularly those with small attention spans as most of them have.

Glass has been great in WCE finals and that sticks in the minds of our judges when tossing up between players.

I believe there was room for both however so not just a direct Glass V McPharlin thread.

Only 4 players not in finals selected. I say announce team after home and away.

Dumbest thing they ever did was Scarlett instead of Gibson.

We must unite against Victorian media bias! even that bloke from from adelaide on about Rutten. Cancel that, who cares about adelaide.

During the season, McPharlin took on the best forward no matter where they played. Glass didn't. It was for development purposes.

We all know Glass can beat any forward in the AFL. We might have even lost some games because of not having him on the best. See the Hawthorn game where Mitch Brown played on Franklin and did well but got a broken finger and kept playing. Franklin kicked 6 and was the reason we lost.

Glass would be more worthy than Scarlett in the pocket. But the argument I was putting forward was that McPharlin has been the better key backman this year. Can anyone argue with that ?

During the season, McPharlin took on the best forward no matter where they played. Glass didn't. It was for development purposes.

We all know Glass can beat any forward in the AFL. We might have even lost some games because of not having him on the best. See the Hawthorn game where Mitch Brown played on Franklin and did well but got a broken finger and kept playing. Franklin kicked 6 and was the reason we lost.

Glass would be more worthy than Scarlett in the pocket. But the argument I was putting forward was that McPharlin has been the better key backman this year. Can anyone argue with that ?

Define 'key' backman. Is Glass not a key fullback because he controls the last line of defence and makes the key contests every time, regardless of who he matches up on directly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McPharlin should've been in AA team without question.

The unfortunate thing is not necessarily that our team finished outside finals, but more importantly that the team is selected after a few finals games.

This in itself can influence judges decisions particularly those with small attention spans as most of them have.

Glass has been great in WCE finals and that sticks in the minds of our judges when tossing up between players.

I believe there was room for both however so not just a direct Glass V McPharlin thread.

Only 4 players not in finals selected. I say announce team after home and away.
Agree with this - seems the most sensible solution.

uhhh, lay off it buddy. Glass not FB would of been an absolute joke. Where did Freo finish again?

uhhh, lay off it buddy. Glass not FB would of been an absolute joke. Where did Freo finish again?

Not relevant. Picking the best players not the best team. You guys had a bad injury year and got the spoon remember. Does that mean Glass is crap?? Or LeCras?? Dumb comment..

Team success counts too. Happens in ever selection like this in the world (NBA First Team, NFL All-Pro etc)
There is only so few spots up for grabs that if two players have a similar good year, of course the player on the better team will be chosen.

Because the AA sellection committee is more of a political lobby group than a ballanced sellection group.
All in all, they got it 90% right...(people forget the forgettable lamentable 90's All'Aust sellections-talk about boys club!)

I had Bock and McPharlan ahead of Scarlo and Enright.?
Scotland ahead of Murphy?

Jachovich would have pushed hard for a West Coast rep..

Surprised to see J.Kelly chosen ahead of Thompson? (or Priddis)
Mark Riccuito lift your game!

I don't think you people out West have any concept of how rated Glass is by our Victorian media. If anything he is criminally overrated by our journo's, and Scarlett is the one who gets little recognition. You all just assume that anyone not from Victoria is never considered by our writers, I can assure you they very much are. McPharlin and Rutten are the one's who got no recognition for their accomplishments this year, when they, above all others, deserved it.

The simple fact is, if Darren Glass has the same season in a lesser team, he isn't even considered.

He is a solid defender, but brings nothing more to the table in that realm than the likes of Reid, Tarrant, Rutten, Merrett, Scarlett, McPharlin, Gibson, Jamison, Fisher etc, and he has no attacking element to his game, unlike many of those guys.

If McPharlin played for a better side than Freo, he'd have had FB sewn up weeks out from the end of the year (considering Jamison got injured).

Glass had a very good year, not denying it, but he shouldn't have been the FB. Because he isn't the FB anymore. Big "fairytale" factor about Glass this year over our side of the country: being the captain of the team that came from last, and coming back from 3 terrible years and injury etc, etc.

Extremely disappointing that no defender picked in the All- Australian team plays on the best forwards every week.

Put it this way:

The simple fact is, that the full- back position should be reserved for the player who was either A: by far the best at containing the best performed forwards across the vast majority of the season, or B: demonstrated an outstanding level of defence that was the equal of any playing on the best performed forwards on a consistent basis, however was also able to combine an attacking element to his game and was able to have an impact on the outcome of games.

In this sense McPharlin, Gibson, Bock, Rutten, Tarrant, Jamison (pre injury) are the obvious and most deserving choices.

Darren Glass and Matthew Scarlett both had great seasons playing essentially the exact same role as the leaders of their respective defences, they didn't particularly care who their match- up was, their job was to station themselves in defence and command the backline. Neither were full- backs.

If the selectors wished to select Glass over Scarlett or visa versa in a BP then fair enough, but either way they'd have atleast gotten it right in terms of positioning, and the FB would have been a true FB.

Unfortunately Rutten and Bock and Tarrant were astonishingly not chosen in the 40 man squad, Jamison got injured, Gibson had the stigma of being "too small" after Pods beat up on him, and McPharlin played for a poor side.

Glass had a lot of media hype behind him all year, and a big "fairytale" factor with his comeback from a few lean years and the Eagles success behind him. Was a sentimental choice for mine.

Plays CHB and Glass is better

/thread

vincevaughandemot.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back