Analysis Why we sucked this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Libba may have been suffering OP all season

Just going to pose the same question . Is this true ?
Does anyone know ?
If not his career is on the brink . Another premiership hero forever for me , but I have grave concerns the hunger has dissapeared !

1. No third man up and we've got a bottom 3 ruck brigade.

2. Partly due to 1, our clearances and stoppages have suffered this year. (The "hitouts don't matter" narrative is garbage. The one game Roughead looked really useful was when he was able to tap it to our mids against bellchambers)

3. Yep, a whole host of players are down on last year's performance.

4. An example of Richmond going out and getting Dimma a whole bunch of good help in his assistant crew to take the pressure off in Caracella and Leppitsch. We're stuck with Giansiracusa and don't even have a senior assistant. What even happened with Montgomery? Get Beveridge some more help and address the absurd goalkicking.

Ordinary thread title (what will it will read if we win the next 6?). In the spirit of what is not going well ...

1. F50 entries and conversion (worst in league). Cloke? Didn't make sense at the time, makes less sense now (in the Long Run in particular)

2. Swapping assistant coaches roles (hard to know from the outside, though our performances speak for themselves)

3. Picking a team with only 6 recognised defenders (like Fri PM). We have done this a few times and have been spanked each time

4. Last 2 weeks, sides have almost wanted the ball in our F50 (which they flood) and then get us on transition. So many easy goals conceded in the past 2 games

5. Injuries (physical and mental) ... we don't have the depth we had last year to cover (No Hamling, Hrovat, Stevens ...

Last edited:
1. Libba and Clay didn't rock up.

2. Injuries to Rough, Dickson, Toyd, Moz, Dunkley and Adams at crummy times

3. Third man up rule change

4. Poorly coached. Sorry, but we have a top 4 list. Coaches did a s**t job. Disrespect to the ruck position. Even with our injuries we had guys lift like Bailey and Toby. We've overused the ball all year and f***ed around without around half forward.

5. No evidence of adequate preparation regarding goal kicking. We knew we were crummy at it last year yet Stringer and Bont went backwards and we recruiting one of the more famous shot missers in recent history.

6. The decline of Bob and Boyd, and maybe even Picken to be fair.

I can only hope Gordon is not too mean because he has the right to be pissed off at this waste of a season. Bevo cashed it in straight after the flag, let's hope he rights the ship

I find this narrative almost impossible to comprehend. How many of our players will make the AA squad this year do you think? How many elite talls do we have currently? Our list is imbalanced and overall it's far below the top sides. We have no reputable key forward and our best defender is in his mid thirties. We have no elite forwards in general since 2015 Stringer and Dickson. Our best defenders have all played less than 25 games and are still below the league average (despite having potential to be very good).

I'd rate our midfield an A and Bont and JJ are genuine superstars but we do not currently have a top 4 list. Top 8 probably if you were judging us when we have an in form Stringer and Marcus Adams available.

It's not all doom and gloom though. If Tom Boyd returns to us and can become an aerial threat, if English can become a competitive AFL ruck, we get some continued improvement from Lewy Young, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale etc, and if Marcus Adams doesn't miss a third consecutive year. next year then yes I believe we could be pushing to have a top 4 quality list next year. But this year we haven't had the quality of players (especially talls) to be a threat.

I find this narrative almost impossible to comprehend. How many of our players will make the AA squad this year do you think? How many elite talls do we have currently? Our list is imbalanced and overall it's far below the top sides. We have no reputable key forward and our best defender is in his mid thirties. We have no elite forwards in general since 2015 Stringer and Dickson. Our best defenders have all played less than 25 games and are still below the league average (despite having potential to be very good).

I'd rate our midfield an A and Bont and JJ are genuine superstars but we do not currently have a top 4 list. Top 8 probably if you were judging us when we have an in form Stringer and Marcus Adams available.

It's not all doom and gloom though. If Tom Boyd returns to us and can become an aerial threat, if English can become a competitive AFL ruck, we get some continued improvement from Lewy Young, Zaine Cordy, Bailey Dale etc, and if Marcus Adams doesn't miss a third consecutive year. next year then yes I believe we could be pushing to have a top 4 quality list next year. But this year we haven't had the quality of players (especially talls) to be a threat.
I agree that the list lacks balance, it did last year when we won the premiership. But it's deep. Crazy deep. We have the most or second most afl players on our list. We have stacks and stacks of good players. It'd help if more of them were tall, it'd help if we didn't have injuries this year which I acknowledged, but we had bad injuries last year, they were pretty much just as bad, and we were signifcantly better. Now there are other mitigating factors, but we could've played It more simple.

1. Respect the ruck position. Yeh having Boyd and Rough together for f*** all time sucks but we've had Campbell and we know Rough can't handle it alone. It's simple but Bevo's been stubborn. I know he's tried to implement a merit based system but play f***ing Campbell you whacko.

2. Don't let the team overuse it all year. We invite pressure all the time. He said he'd address it and he hasn't successfully addressed it.

3. Don't lose to Fremantle when you lead somewhat well at 3QT and don't lose to WCE at home. Last year we were so freakin honest- which is a sign of a well coached team. This year we are not honest.

This season will be remembered for being even. Fact of the matter is it's a garbage year full of very mediocre sides. We started it special and we ended mediocre.

I agree that the list lacks balance, it did last year when we won the premiership. But it's deep. Crazy deep. We have the most or second most afl players on our list. We have stacks and stacks of good players. It'd help if more of them were tall, it'd help if we didn't have injuries this year which I acknowledged, but we had bad injuries last year, they were pretty much just as bad, and we were signifcantly better. Now there are other mitigating factors, but we could've played It more simple.

1. Respect the ruck position. Yeh having Boyd and Rough together for f*** all time sucks but we've had Campbell and we know Rough can't handle it alone. It's simple but Bevo's been stubborn. I know he's tried to implement a merit based system but play f***ing Campbell you whacko.

2. Don't let the team overuse it all year. We invite pressure all the time. He said he'd address it and he hasn't successfully addressed it.

3. Don't lose to Fremantle when you lead somewhat well at 3QT and don't lose to WCE at home. Last year we were so freakin honest- which is a sign of a well coached team. This year we are not honest.

This season will be remembered for being even. Fact of the matter is it's a garbage year full of very mediocre sides. We started it special and we ended mediocre.

I'd argue that winning the flag last year does not equate to us having a top four list. We were hungrier than everyone else and played out of our skins. I believe every team we beat during that finals run had a better list (except maybe Hawthorn) but we simply outplayed and yes *outcoached* them.

I'd rate Adelaide, Geelong, GWS and Sydneys lists above ours this year and last year. Next year things could change.

Last edited:
They did go for Patton and he said no. Boyd said yes.

That's not the way I heard it. I heard Patton was our initial target and was set to come to us but we changed our mind on him after he did his ACL and went for Boyd instead. Not claiming to know which of these is true but that was my understanding of how it went down.

I'd argue that winning the flag last year does not equate to us having a top four list. We were hungrier than everyone else and played out of our skins. I believe every team we beat during that finals run had a better list (except maybe Hawthorn) but we simply outplayed and yes *outcoached* them.

I'd rate Adelaide, Geelong, GWS and Sydneys lists above ours this year and last year. Next year things could change.
Geelong last year were always 2 blokes, a soft ruck, some decent but slow af vet defenders and a bunch of crummy players.

Sydney were similar to us, a pack of hard triers that were well coached, but our bottom 6 had more talented guys than theirs, and we were 30 strong.

Adelaide- no way. That's one there's no argument for. Black hole in the midfield and Jacobs was a ruck that went missing in big games. The mids have come along but they were not good enough last year.

You can't cover the injuries we had last year without amazing list depth. They've been bad this year but we should've covered them just as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of what happens in the last 2 games What we need to happen next season

Bob and Dale need to join Matty Boyd in retirement and Cloke delisted
Decision on a legit ruckman delist Campbell and recruit Spencer or Goldstein do not believe in selling house to get a high profile ruckman
Recruit some speed we are crying for extra speed in the midfield
Stringer to develop a tank over the summer and play 40% midfield
Libba needs a big pre season and get back to the tackling machine he was
Wallis needs to go to half back and play a M Boyd role his dad was a top half back and i see him doing the same
Tom B needs to get over his issues and become a consistently good player all the best Tommy
We need to see the continued development of Mclean, Caleb, Williams, Dale and Dunks
The emergence of English, Lipinski and Young
Injury free Adams, Crameri and Jong
If we do not Lever get Hooper from GWS

Regardless of what happens in the last 2 games What we need to happen next season

Bob and Dale need to join Matty Boyd in retirement and Cloke delisted
Decision on a legit ruckman delist Campbell and recruit Spencer or Goldstein do not believe in selling house to get a high profile ruckman
Recruit some speed we are crying for extra speed in the midfield
Stringer to develop a tank over the summer and play 40% midfield
Libba needs a big pre season and get back to the tackling machine he was
Wallis needs to go to half back and play a M Boyd role his dad was a top half back and i see him doing the same
Tom B needs to get over his issues and become a consistently good player all the best Tommy
We need to see the continued development of Mclean, Caleb, Williams, Dale and Dunks
The emergence of English, Lipinski and Young
Injury free Adams, Crameri and Jong
If we do not Lever get Hooper from GWS
Crameri won't get another contract.

If anyone thinks rucks are not important, have a look at WCE form this year without Nic Nat and Lycett!
To be honest West Coast are actually about where they were last season. The difference is they finished last year with three straight wins but they only finished sixth. Right now they're in the eight. They might drop out but I don't think Nic Nat has much to do with it.

I agree with most of what has been said - but what I noticed as early as round 3/4 was a real lack of gut running. I can't think of one match when we played four quarters of good football.

The match against Brisbane early in the season when we were down by 42 points in the second quarter at Etihad - I saw a number of players with their hands hips gasping for air - which tells me that they had a poor preseason and maybe enjoyed the Premiership a little too much.

Trading Koby Stevens was a mistake- his inside hardball play has been a massive loss especially with Dunkley out for half the year.

And what has killed us the most has been our inability to kick goals. To have a goal conversion of 50% is a disgrace and Stringer has been a major disappointment.

To be a top 4 team in 2018 we need a gun key defender such as Lever and a key forward Tom Lynch - but we would have to trade our next two first round draft picks and Stringer to get it done.

If we don't win another premiership or make a grand final with this group. I think the players will look back and might regret their performances this year.

Because This seasons flag is there for the taking

Don't agree with the start of this thread. I see many different reasons for our fall.

1) we had Wallis red Murphy Crameri all to come back and added Cloke fair enough the club thought that would improve us enough and so did myself and about 90% of posters on here. Crameri barely played, Murphy struggled, red has been up and down, Wallis hasn't had much of a season form wise and Cloke started well before broken ribs and depression

2) injuries to key personnel, while last year we lost the likes of Adams, jj, libba, macrae, Wallis and red. They were all replaceable. This year our injuries have been in one major area or two. Ruck stocks, toyd going solo to start the year, now rough going solo due to toyd and Campbell being out. Backline destroyed by injury and form. Forward line had taken a hit with stringer, Dickson, Crameri, Cloke, toyd all missing huge chunks of the season.

3) tougher draw, having to play twice in Perth early in the season, twice in Queensland late in the season, Canberra and Sydney trips, Geelong in Geelong, Adelaide in Adelaide. That was a thought draw and with form and injurie issues we struggled with it.

4) under done and lack of effort in preseason. Clay libba obviously underdone, Dickson barely saw the preseason track, Bont and toyd had interrupted preseasons. Likely many more

Remove this Banner Ad

Back