List Mgmt. The Missing Middle Tier - Why we are headed for a rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year West averaged 0.86 goal assists per game: the 4th highest on our list.
I would like to see him given more opportunities as a small forward.
Also, last year he is 7th on the list for average goals per game (0.79).
And 6th on the list for average tackles per game.

I don't get why people don't think he should be given more opportunities.

Also, last year he is 7th on the list for average goals per game (0.79).
And 6th on the list for average tackles per game.

I don't get why people don't think he should be given more opportunities.

Bevo savants.

Blind freddy could tell you he's a better option than a couple that get regular games.

Sure we have some players issues but so does every team. IMO we have to get the strategy right then have the ream structure that can deliver the strategy and then have the players deliver on the strategy. The players look indecisive and scared which is a recipe for disaster. I cannot believe this team has only kicked 44 goals in 5 games, something is seriously wrong.

Only my opinion FWIW .
I believe if you keep recruiting players from other clubs.It starves the club of progression.Short term Cloke , Suckling ,Trengrove or Dureya were ok.But it stops younger players advancement.
I have always been against it.Then the Hannans and Mcombs which aren't even giving youth.
Killing the advancement of the club IMO.
Richmond are finding this out and unless you are Hawthorn ,Geelong or Collingwood you aren't getting A graders.
Hall, Boyd and Treloar are the only A graders the club has obtained recently.
Before that Eagleton ,Crameri Hudson × 2 Garlick Robbins etc...were great accusitions.
So point being better to develop youth unless they're great players or at least younger.
Keep your list young enthusiastic or at least top up with better players that are A grade.
Coaches will always try to prolong using this method of cast offs or topping up.. See Scott at North Melbourne. And will do the same at Essendon. Or Lyon at 2 clubs.
As bad as Rhode and McCartney were they helped rebuild a list.

Only my opinion FWIW .
I believe if you keep recruiting players from other clubs.It starves the club of progression.Short term Cloke , Suckling ,Trengrove or Dureya were ok.But it stops younger players advancement.
I have always been against it.Then the Hannans and Mcombs which aren't even giving youth.
Killing the advancement of the club IMO.
Richmond are finding this out and unless you are Hawthorn ,Geelong or Collingwood you aren't getting A graders.
Hall, Boyd and Treloar are the only A graders the club has obtained recently.
Before that Eagleton ,Crameri Hudson × 2 Garlick Robbins etc...were great accusitions.
So point being better to develop youth unless they're great players or at least younger.
Keep your list young enthusiastic or at least top up with better players that are A grade.
Coaches will always try to prolong using this method of cast offs or topping up.. See Scott at North Melbourne. And will do the same at Essendon. Or Lyon at 2 clubs.
As bad as Rhode and McCartney were they helped rebuild a list.
I think there's something in that. Unless of course there's a gilt edged opportunity that falls into our lap, like TBoyd or Treloar.

It's more the 25yo+ players that are the list cloggers. I'm less concerned if we try younger acquisitions from other clubs. Oskar is a case in point. Going the other way so were Lewis Young and Liam Jones to Carlton. Crozier is probably another - he came over at 23 or 24 IIRC. At that age they still have scope for development and there may have been reasons (lack of opportunity, late maturer, injury, wrong role, relationships issues) for not having reached their potential at their original club.

Travis Cloke & Trengrove were such Bulldogs trademark trades.

Probably be saying the same thing about Lobb in a few years , after we’ve brought in a 34 year old Tom Lynch

List lacks speed, particularly in the fringe players. First thing that needs to be rectified so we can stop rolling out best 23s that all look and play the same no matter how many changes we make among the bottom 6-7 players.

Clarke, Gallagher and Baker are hopefully steps in the right direction. We could go a long way to addressing this for the coming years by replacing say McComb, R. Smith, Crozier and Raak with four quick mids or small forwards/defenders.

Sure we have some players issues but so does every team. IMO we have to get the strategy right then have the ream structure that can deliver the strategy and then have the players deliver on the strategy. The players look indecisive and scared which is a recipe for disaster. I cannot believe this team has only kicked 44 goals in 5 games, something is seriously wrong.

Im not too concerned with it at the moment. We've played 2 games in torrential rain out of 5. Skews the numbers a fair bit

Outside of 2021 our ball movement has been horrible for years. Overusing the handball, handballing to a player under the pump, no one ahead of the kicker, not looking to kick as the first option, forwards leading to the same spots, not taking the obvious option etc etc.
We are too compressed when we have possession. Don't have the fitness or want to spread. Or it's not part of the game plan. Then usually bomb it long to no one into the forward pocket.
It's not because we played a couple of games in bad weather. It's how we play.

On the talk of Crozier, he was at the Melbourne Tigers game last night - my boys were there with my wife, and they got a selfie with him. He was apparently incredibly nice about it and the kids loved talking to him.

My youngest (8) said he was going to tell him that "we like you but you're not good enough to play AFL level anymore, you should stick to VFL" because that's what he's heard from his big brother and dad. Luckily my wife caught him before he did, but I've been told to censor myself watching the footy from now on.....

On the talk of Crozier, he was at the Melbourne Tigers game last night - my boys were there with my wife, and they got a selfie with him. He was apparently incredibly nice about it and the kids loved talking to him.

My youngest (8) said he was going to tell him that "we like you but you're not good enough to play AFL level anymore, you should stick to VFL" because that's what he's heard from his big brother and dad. Luckily my wife caught him before he did, but I've been told to censor myself watching the footy from now on.....
Should have got your innocent youngest to ask him what he thought of Bevo “… because my daddy’s had enough.”

Should have got your innocent youngest to ask him what he thought of Bevo “… because my daddy’s had enough.”

He'd have rolled out the full gamut of swear words in a busy stadium. I'd have been properly in the doghouse then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The biggest worry I have with the fact that we are in list overhaul phase (and possibly one of the reasons we are) is that we don't trust our underage recruiters.
We took 3 kids last year, and Marra & Darcy were gifts any club would be thankful for.
A decent haul of kids this year and I think we'll be in ok shape.

We took 3 kids last year, and Marra & Darcy were gifts any club would be thankful for.
A decent haul of kids this year and I think we'll be in ok shape.
I agree, two young midfielders who can slot in, with a bit of speed, and youthful enthusiasm will be a shot in the arm for the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back