It all starts in the middle

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2002
Torquay
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
For two years we have been found out by faster, stronger, explosive midfields like Pies, Dees, Port and Hawks on the weekend.

We have a star carrying this team in the Bont. We have a workhorse in Libba and a smart footballer in Treloar. The second two have limitations, Libba pace, Treloar defensive work. Both are not explosive either. Macrae and Daniel cannot be played in the middle as they cannot keep up defensively in what the modern day demands (even the coach has worked this out). This may work for lower sides but wont beat the best. Smith has the ability yet has lost all form and doesn’t seem to want to do the hard work.

Don’t let our clearance numbers fool you. We bring up an extra to the contest. If we are going to go anywhere next year it is improving the onballers.

Yet unfortunately there is not a single player coming through. Yes, we need to go to the draft, yet they will take time to come in. Is there anything us we can do as if we don’t its backwards next year, sides are moving past us.

I think we need to look from within. There is one player who has progressed substantially the last two seasons. I would through him the challenge in the offseason. Your backing up the Bont next season in the middle, get the fitness even further up, work with the coaches yet we need you bursting from the centre, not the backline.

Welcome to the middle Ed Richards

We can find replacements in the backline (maybe not as good) yet we need his pace, strength and kicking through the middle. We actually need a few new faces in the middle. You be surprised how the forward and backlines fall into place if the middle dominates. Just look at the Pies forwards and defenders on paper!

I like it.

Would also like to see West and Weightman get minutes.

I’d like to see Baker get some centre bounce time in the VFL. Has some mongrel and pace.

Plus whoever we draft.

Imo it all starts at the arse end. You generate speed on the ball from your arse end which allows the forwards some space to run into. Your arse end speed generation also gets the ball from your defensive half to your attacking half, henceforth mitigating the risk for defensive pressures per se.

Arse end. :thumbsu:

Imo it all starts at the arse end. You generate speed on the ball from your arse end which allows the forwards some space to run into. Your arse end speed generation also gets the ball from your defensive half to your attacking half, henceforth mitigating the risk for defensive pressures per se.
Seems like you've got to the bottom our problems.

For two years we have been found out by faster, stronger, explosive midfields like Pies, Dees, Port and Hawks on the weekend.

We have a star carrying this team in the Bont. We have a workhorse in Libba and a smart footballer in Treloar. The second two have limitations, Libba pace, Treloar defensive work. Both are not explosive either. Macrae and Daniel cannot be played in the middle as they cannot keep up defensively in what the modern day demands (even the coach has worked this out). This may work for lower sides but wont beat the best. Smith has the ability yet has lost all form and doesn’t seem to want to do the hard work.

Don’t let our clearance numbers fool you. We bring up an extra to the contest. If we are going to go anywhere next year it is improving the onballers.

Yet unfortunately there is not a single player coming through. Yes, we need to go to the draft, yet they will take time to come in. Is there anything us we can do as if we don’t its backwards next year, sides are moving past us.

I think we need to look from within. There is one player who has progressed substantially the last two seasons. I would through him the challenge in the offseason. Your backing up the Bont next season in the middle, get the fitness even further up, work with the coaches yet we need you bursting from the centre, not the backline.

Welcome to the middle Ed Richards…

We can find replacements in the backline (maybe not as good) yet we need his pace, strength and kicking through the middle. We actually need a few new faces in the middle. You be surprised how the forward and backlines fall into place if the middle dominates. Just look at the Pies forwards and defenders on paper!

I like the idea, if for no other reason than it’s at least something creative and we’ve been missing that (playing mids as small forwards, and saying the goals will kick themselves, is not creative….)

I personally think Richards is going to end up as an AA defender who’ll be in the Easton Wood mould but with much better launch off half back. That’ll be a critical position and I’d rather see him there, but have no objections in the short term to seeing what he has at the coalface. It’s not like we’re winning a flag anytime in the immediate future.

I thought you created a dedicated thread for your erotic prose?

It’s a no brainer, and absolutely should have been at least tried this year - what’s the worst that could happen? He goes poorly and we move him back no harm done.

The upside is we gain a 23yo prototype modern day midfielder - big bodied and super hard at the contest, elite speed, great tackler with genuine defensive instincts, direct/attacking mentality with ball in hand. You know, all the things were crying out for.

I get the argument that we’ll lose his aerial presence down back but I think the upside in the midfield more than makes up for that, and that’s where we’re losing games. Again it may not work and he just can’t find it there, if so great we get our quality defender back. We do at least have options now to replace his run with JJ back, Gallagher & Cleary coming through.

Maybe if we can get Buss/JOD to come on aerially we may be more inclined to make a creative move like that, although I just don’t see it happening under Bev.

Look at the way the Hawks use Day, runs through the guts, usually off the back of the stoppage. He’s got speed to defend if the ball comes out the front of the stoppage for the opposition, and speed and a booming kick to become a link up option if they win the ball.

They then throw him behind the ball in critical parts of the game as a loose marking option when they need help in defence.

Tell me why Richards couldn’t play that role? And play it better than Day, he’s a better player in almost every facet of the game IMO.

He’s perfect for it, and that role is going to have a bigger influence on winning a game of footy than his current role, as good as he’s been in it.

No brainer to trial for 2 weeks now we’ve genuinely got nothing to lose

Liam Jones is the Paris End of the arse end of the team…

Our elite midfield had the final nail put in its coffin when Geelong demolished us earlier this year with a C grade midfield.

I agree we need a midfield injection of new blood, but Im not sure Ed is the one. He has been tried on a wing and couldnt find the ball, then really hit his straps when moved back. Love his aerial ability and speed to intercept like a mini-jones, but not confident of his vision and disposal in close quarters. just think it would be sacrificing a really good defender for an average midfielder, at best,.

But yeah, not helpful -- who then? We really need to target an established mid at the trade table, but thats not in our control.

I reckon if we are moving anyone out defence, maybe its Dale. Not into the guts, but to a wing. We're playing some pretty average players there already -- the bar isnt high -- and although Dale has been tried there before, hes a more mature and rounded player these days, and is willing and capable of going for the risky but damaging kicks that might end up a turnover but also might open the opposition right up. More reward and less risk if he is executing those forward of center

Understand the thought process but given what Ed brings to the backline in terms of attack, removing him would make us even worse in transition which though hard to do based on this season would reduce our scoring more.

Since Dale has been put under more pressure his turnovers amd decision making has diluted what he brings running off half back, JJ is perennially injured, VDM has over half of his games fumbling, where will we get run out of our backline??

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Treloar got injured, Smith played a great game against Adelaide. I think he’s a midfielder or nothing. Time to give young guys like Garcia, West and Smith a go in there. They are all mids as well. Not going to turn them into small forwards.

Whoever we draft won’t be ready for big midfield time for a while. I would play them back and put Richards in there as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back